Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Anyone else dislike Fiora's lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Twilight Monkey

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
Yes - I agree that we didn't do a great job of communicating this crucial point to the players because we don't have enough space and time for storytelling.

Riven breaks her sword - Yes.

The thing that we didn't show (and couldn't, because of the constraints of the game and what you see) is that when Riven reforges her sword through her willpower - She reforges it to be a different sword.

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Rune Sword - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

If you've ever played Planescape Torment with Dak'kon - His Karach blade was the thing that I couldn't convey in game - the fact that the sword she breaks and the sword she reforges with her will are different swords.

The sword simply responds to strong emotions and bends itself to the user's will.

Epic game reference

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
Yes - I agree that we didn't do a great job of communicating this crucial point to the players because we don't have enough space and time for storytelling.

The thing that we didn't show (and couldn't, because of the constraints of the game and what you see) is that when Riven reforges her sword through her willpower - She reforges it to be a different sword.

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Rune Sword - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

If you've ever played Planescape Torment with Dak'kon - His Karach blade was the thing that I couldn't convey in game - the fact that the sword she breaks and the sword she reforges with her will are different swords.

The sword simply responds to strong emotions and bends itself to the user's will.

Well this is new and exciting information. Thanks a lot for the update. ;D

That definitely puts things into perspective.

AntiN3wb

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Grey Rune Sword instead of the Black/Green - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

Thank you for your enlightenment master Xypherous.
WE ARE NOT WORTHY.

WelcomeToTarget

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Grey Rune Sword instead of the Black/Green - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

That would be a great idea for her legendary skin. A completely different sword and a completely different broken one that she wields.

I know that's blatantly obvious for a legendary skin idea but thought it should be said.

Also Xyph. You need to design a Drizzt champion. We seriously need a dual wielding baddest mother ****er alive up and in this game.

Super Explosion

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Grey Rune Sword - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

It's a simple matter of phrasing to reflect that, then-- which would make it much more appealing to a wider audience.

"Riven's will is shaped into a new sword, far exceeding the past blade."

Or in story form:

"In the heat of battle, Riven's will to glory takes the form of a new blade, sharper than any past steel."

Xypherous

Systems Designer

02-23-2012

Quote:

A completely different sword and a completely different broken one that she wields.
I remember the art teaser, what I had wanted to do was show the old full rune blade with the runes on them conveying some sort of Noxian principle - Like 'Might makes Right' or some cliche.

And then in the last frame, when in the heat of battle, she has the will/focus to use the full sword again, it looks very similar to the old full rune blade, but the runes being completely different and spelling out a very different message.

Quote:

"Riven's will is shaped into a new sword, far exceeding the past trinket."
Yeah, I agree - Our tooltips generally are small and compressed and can't fit that many lore details. :/

(I also fully admit - I suck at writing tooltips.)

Especially on more complicated spells - As it stands, if I were to revisit the character, I would actually push for different tinting on her spells when her ultimate is up - like incorporate blues and yellows with the old greens when her ultimate is up - but yeah.

Scribbles88

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:

Updated my journal.

eaTHAN

02-23-2012

Now Riven's lore makes so much more sense then it did before.

Ibuki Suika

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:

Y u so awesome!

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
I remember the art teaser, what I had wanted to do was show the old full rune blade with the runes on them conveying some sort of Noxian principle - Like 'Might makes Right' or some cliche.

And then in the last frame, when in the heat of battle, she has the will/focus to use the full sword again, it looks very similar to the old full rune blade, but the runes being completely different and spelling out a very different message.

Yeah, I agree - Our tooltips generally are small and compressed and can't fit that many lore details. :/

(I also fully admit - I suck at writing tooltips.)

Especially on more complicated spells - As it stands, if I were to revisit the character, I would actually push for different tinting on her spells when her ultimate is up - like incorporate blues and yellows with the old greens when her ultimate is up - but yeah.

Having different colors show up on the runes would definitely imply difference in the blade, and would look totally cool.

...There's no chance this could happen?

Particles have been changed or added before, like ALL of Xerath's insides. Doesn't seem like this would be a huge amount of work...but I could be wrong.