Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Anyone else dislike Fiora's lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
Super Explosion:
Let me put it this way:

You're in the military. They betray you. Get all your friends killed.

You smash your assault rifle in defiance, swearing never to be involved with their foul stuff again.

And then you're like "whoops I guess I need that to fight, sorry guys" and fix it up again.

Riven's lore also has even more contradictions-- she ascended the ranks of the Noxian military, but somehow missed all of the Cassiopeas, Swains, Katarinas and Urgots.

It's like "wheee, blissfully unaware of ravens ripping people apart slowly" stuff during her entire training.
Katarina certainly fights people head on, too, eh?

She was a commander of the military because of her personal accolades she earned being in the military. She had a personal unit of soldiers who looked up to her and respected her, and were her friends. She was given the sword as recognition of her prowess and upholding the Noxian ideals. (At that time)

Katarina's father is a leader and also the guy who employs his daughters, Swain, Talon and the like.

All that means is that the military was raised on a totally different ideal while BEHIND the scenes, the royal family (Kat, her father, Cass) and the people involved in the darker politics behind the scene (Singed, Warwick before he was transformed by Soraka) were manipulating things.

When the Ionian war broke out, the military with it's older and more honorable ideals (Which is just a better mold to raise a military by than backstabbing, otherwise your soldiers are just as susceptible to betray you and not be puppets) went out and battled.

Behind the scenes, Noxus used the biological weapons Singed created and mass-attacked Riven and her unit during a battle with Ionians, with no regards to their safety and thus betraying the ideals she lived by and gained all her honor by.

She ran, somehow lived, shattered the blade as the place she got it from no longer lived up the ideals it was given to her under - and exiled herself from the place that betrayed her.

She now wields it in league as a broken reminder of what once was, and represents those ideals she has chosen to continue believing in, regardless if a country is backing her or not. I don't see how this is THAT hard to understand.

You didn't read the lore, and are now making "lul broke wep0n in raeg, y u use wep0n nao? st00pid" comments? Is that what it is?

Like you aren't even backing up your claims really well, you are just making really general statements with no detail then slapping on your opinion as truth when it's propaganda at best.

CTkiller

02-23-2012

I dont read lore because at the end of the day

I'm pretty pissed off at League

Virgil

02-23-2012

If you play League for the lore, go read a book or something. Seriously.

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
Super Explosion:
It sounds as if she's more concerned with her family honor than her own badassery.

The voice acting will determine it, really.

But it would be much better if the story had the tone of "you know what, you see that Cho'Gath, I'm gonna go duel that you prissy cowards".

Yeah, the voice acting will make or break certain interpretations, I agree there.

I personally think the whole "family honor" idea is just playing second fiddles to her real desires to be acknowledged, especially now that her father is a fraud - a convenient excuse to do what she grew up really wanting, which is to be legend herself.

Not that she probably doesn't believe the excuse to a degree, or that she wouldn't like to fulfill that reasoning - just that I don't think at the end of the day it's the be all end all.

Zairex

02-23-2012

I don't see the problem. I like the lore that Riot gives us. It's a bit interesting to read.

MyTeamIsTerrible

02-23-2012

I think it's rather interesting, i like it, her dad is a fraud apparently, she is desilusioned, her family name died...Here i go league of legends.

The only lore stuff that i cannot get over is the fact that Mordekaiser is a musician and Sona is his partner, i mean, i giant metal behemoth whose very presence infect people with maladies, spend his time playing in a band? It's not in the lore in game, but it's on JoJ so it's canon apparently.

Super Explosion

02-23-2012

Quote:
Jasado:
She was a commander of the military because of her personal accolades she earned being in the military. She had a personal unit of soldiers who looked up to her and respected her, and were her friends. She was given the sword as recognition of her prowess and upholding the Noxian ideals. (At that time)

Katarina's father is a leader and also the guy who employs his daughters, Swain, Talon and the like.

All that means is that the military was raised on a totally different ideal while BEHIND the scenes, the royal family (Kat, her father, Cass) and the people involved in the darker politics behind the scene (Singed, Warwick before he was transformed by Soraka) were manipulating things.

When the Ionian war broke out, the military with it's older and more honorable ideals (Which is just a better mold to raise a military by than backstabbing, otherwise your soldiers are just as susceptible to betray you and not be puppets) went out and battled.

Behind the scenes, Noxus used the biological weapons Singed created and mass-attacked Riven and her unit during a battle with Ionians, with no regards to their safety and thus betraying the ideals she lived by and gained all her honor by.

She ran, somehow lived, shattered the blade as the place she got it from no longer lived up the ideals it was given to her under - and exiled herself from the place that betrayed her.

She now wields it in league as a broken reminder of what once was, and represents those ideals she has chosen to continue believing in, regardless if a country is backing her or not. I don't see how this is THAT hard to understand.

You didn't read the lore, and are now making "lul broke wep0n in raeg, y u use wep0n nao? st00pid" comments? Is that what it is?

Like you aren't even backing up your claims really well, you are just making really general statements with no detail then slapping on your opinion as truth when it's propaganda at best.

I find it hard to believe that she completely missed all the Noxian battlemages using poisons and Hitchcocking during her entire career.

Sion and Urgot were held up as ideals of Noxian military prowess publically.

Also, yes, it is hypocritical to fight exclusively using the runic-blade sorcery you just swore off.

"She shattered her sword -- severing ties with the past -- and wandered in self-imposed exile."

Nice "tie-severing".

Relic445

02-23-2012

Lore isn't that interesting..it's more about revenge nowadays.
cept for ziggs, but a lot of recent champions i.e. viktor, sejuani, nautilus...etc. were about revenge. IMHO.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

02-23-2012

Quote:

SuperExplosion

Riven's lore is confusing.
Yes - I agree that we didn't do a great job of communicating this crucial point to the players because we don't have enough space and time for storytelling.

Riven breaks her sword - Yes.

The thing that we didn't show (and couldn't, because of the constraints of the game and what you see) is that when Riven reforges her sword through her willpower - She reforges it to be a different sword.

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Grey Rune Sword instead of the Black/Green - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

If you've ever played Planescape Torment with Dak'kon - His Karach blade was the thing that I couldn't convey in game - the fact that the sword she breaks and the sword she reforges with her will are different swords.

The sword simply responds to strong emotions and bends itself to the user's will.

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
GravenX:
I think it's rather interesting, i like it, her dad is a fraud apparently, she is desilusioned, her family name died...Here i go league of legends.

The only lore stuff that i cannot get over is the fact that Mordekaiser is a musician and Sona is his partner, i mean, i giant metal behemoth whose very presence infect people with maladies, spend his time playing in a band? It's not in the lore in game, but it's on JoJ so it's canon apparently.

Well, all his moves are references to influential/popular heavy metal bands.

He's also SO metal, he really IS metal.

If you didn't catch it, Morde is a huuuuuuge shout out to heavy metal music lovers.

It's kind of his thing, so in regards to his reason for existing, it makes sense that he'd be in a band?