Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Anyone else dislike Fiora's lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
Super Explosion:
I'm referring to the general tone of the last string of champions, including Nautilus, Talon, Viktor, Sejuani.

Wayyyyyy too much vengeance angst.

Fiora is just sort of generic, reclaiming honor, family reputation, proving worth. Whatever.

It's not really a story the player can get into, since most players don't have that sort of experience, and further it is tied to something outside the champion itself.

When playing Amumu or Shaco or Xin, it's very much easy to "get into character" the story reflects the skills reflects the voice acting, and it's a tale that people can empathize with.

Uh.....

There are a lot more overachievers in real life who actually have parental issues (Or role models and ideals who ended up not being what it seemed) in REAL life then there are..say...

People who fought 300 soldiers solo in a coliseum who got saved by a king in a different land then decided to dedicate their life to them as repayment and deferential respect.

And you haven't even heard Fiora's voice yet. What?

Her fighting style is fencing, which is traditionally based in honor, prestige, reputation, and skill.

What?

You are making less and less sense...

VinTheRockDiesel

02-23-2012

I think Riven was the last lore I actually cared about. Fizz's was mediocre and Shyvanna's was so bad I stopped reading them.

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
Super Explosion:
Oh yes, that's the tone of the ability. That's fine.

I mean the lore.

She broke her own sword in defiance of Noxus.

But uses that sword and Noxian sorcery constantly while fighting.

It just seems like a massive dissonance.

Which is her whole point for self-exile.

And her personal struggle with defining why she fights, part of the reason she joined league.

She broke it because she felt the original ideals of Noxia were broken too, and she was given that as a token of those ideals and how she upheld them.

And as she intends to represent the code she was raised by and lives by, her still using the sword even though it is "broken" symbolically represents that.

She still holds to the original Noxian beliefs she was raised on, it's just that she realizes the current day Noxus no longer adheres to that and is why she parted from it.

She's chosen to represent those values in a different way, by joining the League.

Silentium soluS

02-23-2012

Quote:
Duskofdead:
Eh, my point either way is that she's not a very creative design. Whether you say she's like Riven or like Yi she's not unique.

You make a game with 90+ characters then try to make a new one look unique. I bet you we could point to each ability looking like another one already in the game.

It isn't individual abilities that make a champion, it is the combination of them that sets their playstyle and what makes them unique. You have to look at everything combined, so you can't really call something not unique due to abilities alone.

Yi operates off of backdooring and careful timing of getting in to then roll your whole team with highlander by slashing up squishiest to tankiest. Riven looks for good placement then does the same, but more so with AoE spells with some passive hits. Fiora's design is to get in, slash the **** out of one target, and then if her ult works like juggernaut, use her ult to break aggro and look out for another good target to jump on.

NeonChinchilla

02-23-2012

Quote:
Duskofdead:
Oh I didn't bother reading the lore because it's mostly junk. I meant she's Riven 2 because as a champion she is. Hi, I'm a female with a sword and I have abilities that deal with multiple targets at once.

Yeah all those identical female champions really run together for me. Which one is Cassiopeia again? There are so many female ap mids who hit multiple targets I get them all hopelessly confused. Don't even get me started on the male champs....one...BIG...blur.

back on topic: I was disappointed in her lore but only because I expected her to be from Noxus and part of the Crimson Elite. She has a talon cape maaan c'mon. I was also a little sad shes a big **** to everyone, $1 her voice is annoying and I'll want to mute her.

Super Explosion

02-23-2012

Quote:
Jasado:
Uh.....

There are a lot more overachievers in real life who actually have parental issues (Or role models and ideals who ended up not being what it seemed) in REAL life then there are..say...

People who fought 300 soldiers solo in a coliseum who got saved by a king in a different land then decided to dedicate their life to them as repayment and deferential respect.

And you haven't even heard Fiora's voice yet. What?

Her fighting style is fencing, which is traditionally based in honor, prestige, reputation, and skill.

What?

You are making less and less sense...

Makes as much sense as you want it to, I suppose.

Xin is a tale of victory against all the odds. People like that.

Fiora is a tale of perpetually stained honor, that she will never recover, since the game's lore never progresses.

Like playing Riven, it'll be a constant flow of Emo, even if you win. That's not as enjoyable on average.

Cether

02-23-2012

I remember the days when champions actually had an inspired personal reason for joining the league. Not because the champion fashion circles would all shun you if you didn't have a membership.

ReluctantFantasy

02-23-2012

Quote:
die4769:
Lore really isn't at all what it used to be.

Jax has an equal chance of losing to almost every bruiser.

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
Super Explosion:
Makes as much sense as you want it to, I suppose.

Xin is a tale of victory against all the odds. People like that.

Fiora is a tale of perpetually stained honor, that she will never recover, since the game's lore never progresses.

Like playing Riven, it'll be a constant flow of Emo, even if you win. That's not as enjoyable on average.

Well, one could easily argue that playing Fiora is playing as a person who has chosen to transcend the original dreams and ideals they grew up on, shaped themselves by, and grow into their own legend, superseding the stained honor and betrayed ideal you used to love so much.

And as a Riven main, I personally feel that it's more finding absolution for what troubles you inside through combat, and striving to represent your personally held ideals while doing so, even if you are a lost minority.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, which is why they say all champs won't really appeal to all people.

cabforpitt

02-23-2012

Quote:
Duskofdead:
Oh I didn't bother reading the lore because it's mostly junk. I meant she's Riven 2 because as a champion she is. Hi, I'm a female with a sword and I have abilities that deal with multiple targets at once.

Master Yi and Garen both have swords, are male and can hit more than one person with a move (Alpha Strike, Judgement). They must be exactly the same.