Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Anyone else dislike Fiora's lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kartharos

02-24-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
Yes - I agree that we didn't do a great job of communicating this crucial point to the players because we don't have enough space and time for storytelling.

Riven breaks her sword - Yes.

The thing that we didn't show (and couldn't, because of the constraints of the game and what you see) is that when Riven reforges her sword through her willpower - She reforges it to be a different sword.

This is why the Redeemed Riven Skin has a Grey Rune Sword instead of the Black/Green - It's still the same sword - but it reflects who she is and the sword itself shows her progress.

If you've ever played Planescape Torment with Dak'kon - His Karach blade was the thing that I couldn't convey in game - the fact that the sword she breaks and the sword she reforges with her will are different swords.

The sword simply responds to strong emotions and bends itself to the user's will.

I didn't find Rivens lore confusing at all. Though i though the graphic of the sword was simply that, a different graphic similar to almost every other character who has a skin.

Seriously how does anyone find her lore confusing?

Rebonack

02-24-2012

Quote:
davin:
That sounds a lot like an intense social version of natural selection. They're basically Social Darwinists. Like the Yosuga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nocturne#The_Reasons) in SMT: Nocturne!

I like that idea a lot more than "they are evil dudes".

Though to be fair every time Social Darwinism has popped up as a driving force in a culture it has turned out pretty darn awful for most everyone involved.

Super Explosion

02-24-2012

Quote:
Rebonack:
Though to be fair every time Social Darwinism has popped up as a driving force in a culture it has turned out pretty darn awful for most everyone involved.

I tend to wonder what people think of when they say "Social Darwinism".

Society is a survival advantage for humans, their evolution is intimately tied to social constructs, all of which aid in surviving the elements.

So you can't not have society influenced by "Darwinistic" elements: when someone else gets your job, he's getting the bird seeds that you are now not.

There's only a certain amount of minions in a lane. Only a certain about of wheat in a field.

If they mean rather "using the idea of survival of the fittest to justify doing things suboptimal for a society", that's more in line with the common usage.

Yes, it is suboptimal to not protect your society members from the elements because you believe they're weak-- at base it loses you labor potential.

Sparta died off in no small part because they had to use slave labor to make all their weapons. Blacksmithing was seen as unmanly.

-----------------

Following this, Noxus isn't and should not be "Social Darwinist"-- it would just make them look silly and impractical.

Noxus should be about: "If you're a citizen, you're one of US. We'll protect you to the death. But if you want power, you need to earn it in blood."

They don't value talkers, but doers. Wild West frontier plus Starship Troopers.

whitemilk

02-24-2012

Finally people have started to notice the lore for lol got shafted...

Cyouni

02-24-2012

I think my LoL activity time has followed the progression of the lore.

Also, Fiora really doesn't seem to fit Demacia at all.

PlayGooYa

02-24-2012

Social Darwinism has the dubious ability to make you look both evil and stupid. Social Darwinism wasn't coined by Darwin anyway, but by Herbert Spencer. It is basically pseudo-science that defends the race myth and classism. It's a divine-right-to-rule by another name. The idea that the people in charge are there because nature put them there and made them inherently more worthy is irrational and stupid.

If anything, civilization is at odds with natural selection by its nature. The whole point is that your survival is not determined by arbitrary circumstances. Instead human priorities matter more than whether or not you just happened to be slightly more adaptable at a subsistence level of survival. We're more than dumb animals, and we think the potential worth of person shouldn't be squelched just because they happened to be the runt of the litter or because they had some congenital disease.

If you think this is a good way of making Noxus seem like a morally ambiguous meritocracy, you'd be dead wrong.

Lord Graves III

02-26-2012

Quote:
davin:
That sounds a lot like an intense social version of natural selection. They're basically Social Darwinists. Like the Yosuga (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_Megami_Tensei_Nocturne#The_Reasons) in SMT: Nocturne!

I like that idea a lot more than "they are evil dudes".

Agreed. Its always been one of my problems with League of Legends' lore. Not enough, and too polar.

Zaun and Nox are evil, Demacia, Piltover are good. Bandle City is comic relief. But just enough is there to see that they dont have to be this way, and given more fluff, likely wouldn't be.

The thing is, I felt there was room to expand and make these more ambiguous. I feel the potential for all the stuff reds are talking about is there, but currently, lets face it, noxus gets represented in game by guys like Urgot and Katarina and Talon. Complete psychos. The closest Demacia gets to that is Vayne, and shes a known criminal.