Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Anyone else dislike Fiora's lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xypherous

Systems Designer

02-23-2012

Quote:

I always assumed she wasn't trying to be different from Noxia, more that she saw herself as the only true Noxian. That the others had lost the path, and she was trying to reconcile that. She is actually the first character I bought, mostly because I liked what I read about her playstyle, but also because her back story had a lot of layers that made me wonder about the character. At least, I perceived a lot of layers, but my estimation of her could be off.
Oh that also reminds me - In my other alternate totally non-canon version of things, she would lead a Noxian civil war and find peace in that conflict by tearing down her home state and reforging it anew.

...but it looks like the idea of a Noxian civil war is probably out of the question. XD

Quote:

If Xyph is still here, would you day that Demacia and Noxus are clearly good and evil respectively, or that they're both morally ambigious (like the Alliance and Horde)?

Demacia, at its worst, is the destructive short-sightedness of someone who is confident they are doing the right thing.

Noxus, at its worst, is the destructive struggle for survival where only the strong survive.

Demacia, at its best, is a place where people are guided into what is right by a wise ruling council - where people find themselves by being coached and mentored.

Noxus, at its best, is a place where conflict and struggle are basically tools to figure out what is ultimately fitting in the end - where people find themselves by doing whatever it is that they do.

I think Noxus is darker than Demacia - but I don't think they're good and evil. Noxus has more potential to be evil and Demacia has more potential to be good - but neither state is really conforming to their ideals as much as they think they are.

Super Explosion

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
This is fairly rough - as I'm not directly working on Fiora and so only know the bits that I contributed and not how it actually turned out...

My rough idea was that Fiora was on a quest for excellence of her craft. She was inspired by her father to take up perfection and was drilled into that she had to be perfect.

Now that her father is proven as a cheat, Fiora's only anger/reaction is that it casts her in a poor light. She doesn't care that her father was a cheat - That only means he obviously failed - It has no relation to me, Fiora.

Fiora's personality would be one of ice - She doesn't care that her father failed. Only that it means people don't see her as perfect anymore.

Ice-personality girl is definitely needed in League-- Katarina doesn't really fit the precision-kill tone.

My concern with Fiora would be that her voice and story would be too heavily tied to things outside of the character's personal center: her family's honor.

As the League story in that regard can't progress as it might in a book, it becomes a disconnect for the player.

"What am I gonna do about that Fiora? Hush."

HOWEVER, if she is all about "come at me bro, I'm the best, don't care if you have seven heads", that's something more players will enjoy.

You'd see playful calls in all-chat along the lines of: "I don't really think you can take me, meet at the purple Ancient Golem. I'll be waiting."

The key point to making fun character story is seeing how the player can harmonize it with their play experience. How one can use it.

Sydelle

02-23-2012

wtf. stop posting threads without lore links. thanks.

RyuuMasken

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
Oh that also reminds me - In my other alternate totally non-canon version of things, she would lead a Noxian civil war and find peace in that conflict by tearing down her home state and reforging it anew.

...but it looks like the idea of a Noxian civil war is probably out of the question. XD

i think you need to have a stern talking with creative if this isn't canon

just saying

Super Explosion

02-23-2012

Quote:
Misentro:
If Xyph is still here, would you day that Demacia and Noxus are clearly good and evil respectively, or that they're both morally ambigious (like the Alliance and Horde)?

There is an attempt for ambiguity in League that I like, very similar to 40k.

However, Noxus is not nearly as seductive as Chaos, so ends up seeming more stereotypically bad.

Banath Kalkin

02-23-2012

im not a fan of the lore but then again most of the champs lore boils down to, we can fight, there is some cause they fight for, thus all people who fight go to LoL... like alot of the time the justification for why they need to be in the league is fairly weak, like fizz lost his people so he needs to beat ppl up in the league... so yea i dunno alot of the time the lore becomes very secondary just cos at the rate the release champs they cant build solid lore on all of them

personally my pet peeve with lore is stuff like graves or seijuani where they join the league specificly to kill/challange/follow another champ, so they join a league where no one ever permanently dies and duels to the actual death are not allowed so you joined to watch them....kill you over and over...kill them just to see them pop back up 30 seconds later... i dunno it just dosnt make sence to me for all those champs who are looking for one specific champ

anyway iv just begun to take lore as more of like a bonus round extra for if the league were actually fights to the death, makes things more interesting (also would actually make fioras lore more interesting if she dueled everyone in the league to the death =P)

Heil Teemo

02-23-2012

So, Xypherous, now that you've explained what kind of person you think Fiora is, what do you think is her DnD alignment? I've seen you post about this in the lore forum before, but we all know that place is dead to the reds.

PlayGooYa

02-23-2012

Quote:
Super Explosion:
Let me put it this way:

You're in the military. They betray you. Get all your friends killed.

You smash your assault rifle in defiance, swearing never to be involved with their foul stuff again.

And then you're like "whoops I guess I need that to fight, sorry guys" and fix it up again.

Riven's lore also has even more contradictions-- she ascended the ranks of the Noxian military, but somehow missed all of the Cassiopeas, Swains, Katarinas and Urgots.

It's like "wheee, blissfully unaware of ravens ripping people apart slowly" during her entire training.
Katarina certainly fights people head on, too, eh?

What's so weird about all those Noxian champions that it would change Riven's worldview?

For the most part, they all use force and violence. Riven is a soldier, so seeing them be violent isn't going to force her to re-evaluate her life. It doesn't matter that their use of force happens to involve magic ravens or poison. These things are all meant to be weapons.

What forced Riven to re-evaluate her life is that Noxus likes to say that its philosophy or ideology builds character, but in reality, they only care about results. Noxian "guidance" is not really needed for the Ionians to have "strength" to put up a commited resistance and force the Noxians to stalemate.

Noxus is willing to throw away soldiers that supposedly embody its ideals. And they rely on foreign mercenaries and even then, only put in a mediocre showing and no real fighting spirit. It more or less means that Noxus's sense of self-worth is nonexistent. It does not actually care about those things, it's willing to sell that for temporal power.

The sword is mostly one of those symbolic magic things. It's only strong and whole when Riven's convictions are pure and whole. It's supposed to represent her sense of pride and a confidence in what she is fighting for. So its magically restoring itself is supposed to represent her motivation to truly fight for something she believes in.

BunniFace

02-23-2012

I find that Fiora's lore is reminiscent of Baroness Dumas' backstory in the game No One Lives Forever. I figure about 3 people would know what I'm talking about. :P

Vsin

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
XD. Got carried away - my bad.

I will say that Fiora's backstory - to me - resembles a certain prosecutor's sister...

Wait. Wait just a second there.

Is that why some of her PBE animations look like she's holding a whip? Actually, now that I think about it, everything about her character design except the hair colour is extremely close to Von Karma 0_0