Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Anyone else dislike Fiora's lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Super Explosion

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
That kind of implies that she's done with her journey - unfortunately, that's not the character we tried to portray. The character you're thinking of is a potential Riven *after* she's found her answers - not the current one in game who is still lost and confused.

The Riven in-game, was a Riven on the path, which, I agree with - is very hard to get aligned to - because there's not enough to tell you which path ultimately she'll end up down.

Searching for answers, somewhat unsure of oneself is a perfectly acceptable story for a character, and pretty easy to get into.

But it's so ambiguous in the game, and the story doesn't really help.

You only really get that she's saddened by the past in her voice acting ("my hands are stained&quot, but not really what she's doing about it.

Yes, she's fighting in the League of Legends, but to what end?

She's not actively displaying her pure Noxian vision of glorious combat in her voice.

Nor does it appear that she's doing anything different from simply using a nerfed version of the Noxian sorcery she once had.

This is why I mean by "purpose", that she's doing something meaningful: if she had a saddened, but questing and valiant attitude, that would be easier to get into.

If her abilities looked somehow different from Urgot-color, though clearly influenced, that would further emphasize the torn but different nature.

Von Nicklesnout

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
I don't see her as having an inferiority complex - or at least, not one that makes her weak in any way shape or form.

Although, I can see what you mean by Azula there.

Her personality reflects her fighting style - completely focused and to the point - She pretty much only cared about that one thing.

Well, the whole inferiority complex bit mostly came from the fact that much like the afformentioned Azula, Fiora -in your explanation- is more annoyed by the fact her father made her seem less than perfect; A theme shared with Azula since not being by her father's side in what can be implied to be a pseudo-Oedipus complex, making her feel imperfect.

It's typically characters like that which would be the easiest to break mentally~

Xypherous

Systems Designer

02-23-2012

Quote:

Besides the fact that they aren't crafting together like they used to. A Demacian champ can't just come out of no where after being that recognized by the entire city. Where's the journals of justice or just anything that tells of her or her father? Maybe a previous character with an experience with her or her dad?
Ah, you're talking about lead-ins and character relations.

In my experience, a tight-knitted weave of characters doesn't really help you show off different aspects of a place or a region - we're making a bunch of exploratory characters at the moment to look at things we haven't really well defined before in the past and so I can understand the jarring nature of this.

Quote:

Xypherous, the problem is that all the lores are ending the same lately...

"so ___ has set out to the league of legends where they can get revenge / redeem themselves / get recognition."

Yeah, I know the creative team is looking at this - it's just that it's not a quick turnaround given how long champion pipelines are. Like, a decision made today might affect something 4 or 5 months down the line.

Kizuna

02-23-2012

Quote:
UndeadDilemma:
Xypherous, the problem is that all the lores are ending the same lately...

"so ___ has set out to the league of legends where they can get revenge / redeem themselves / get recognition."

Besides the fact that they aren't crafting together like they used to. A Demacian champ can't just come out of no where after being that recognized by the entire city. Where's the journals of justice or just anything that tells of her or her father? Maybe a previous character with an experience with her or her dad?

I disagree.

I am waiting for an African American Demacian assassin who has been behind the scenes the entire time to uphold the "pure" and "good" aspects of Demacia.

It's gonna be glorious. :x

EDIT: I mean from a lore perspective, it would make sense why a Demacian Assassin wouldn't be recognized by anyone, save maybe Jarvan or someone.

Also, I just say African because I think it'd be a nice time to finally put someone dark skinned in league, and it seems the fitting character just to further imply the "different" tone of not belonging in the Demacian group ideally.

LadyKäiser

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
I don't see her as having an inferiority complex - or at least, not one that makes her weak in any way shape or form.

Although, I can see what you mean by Azula there.

Her personality reflects her fighting style - completely focused and to the point - She pretty much only cared about that one thing.

She just seems.. flat... I really miss the JoJ and the more detailed Lore (though frankly my favorite champion probably has the least detailed lore ever... looking at you Mordekaiser).

Ziggs was neat, even if a little easy to figure out where things were going to get taken. Viktor was neat, at least certainly different. Fiora just seems... meh... idk. D:

She's not my kind of champion anyway (AP mid and support over here :3 ) so I wasn't interested but my friends certainly were.

Damoel

02-23-2012

Quote:
Super Explosion:
Searching for answers, somewhat unsure of oneself is a perfectly acceptable story for a character, and pretty easy to get into.

But it's so ambiguous in the game, and the story doesn't really help.

You only really get that she's saddened by the past in her voice acting ("my hands are stained&quot, but not really what she's doing about it.

Yes, she's fighting in the League of Legends, but to what end?

She's not actively displaying her pure Noxian vision of glorious combat in her voice.

Nor does it appear that she's doing anything different from simply using a nerfed version of the Noxian sorcery she once had.

This is why I mean by "purpose", that she's doing something meaningful: if she had a saddened, but questing and valiant attitude, that would be easier to get into.

If her abilities looked somehow different from Urgot-color, though clearly influenced, that would further emphasize the torn but different nature.

I always assumed she wasn't trying to be different from Noxia, more that she saw herself as the only true Noxian. That the others had lost the path, and she was trying to reconcile that. She is actually the first character I bought, mostly because I liked what I read about her playstyle, but also because her back story had a lot of layers that made me wonder about the character. At least, I perceived a lot of layers, but my estimation of her could be off.

RyuuMasken

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:
In my totally non-canon version of things, Riven needs to ideally end up in Ionia to figure out her conflict. Ionia accepts that the light and the dark exist and can co-exist - I think she would find peace there - Unfortunately, it's also the very place she ravaged and fought against - so there's a bit of a tension there.

i had this same concept in my head-canon ever since riven's release

does this mean i'm good at lore

Morphine

02-23-2012

Her father is a foolishly foolish fool who foolishly dreamed of foolish dreams.

Now I have to buy her. I don't even like melee heroes. Dammit, Xypherous! :P

Gigarayzor

02-23-2012

Quote:
Xypherous:

If you've ever played Planescape Torment with Dak'kon - His Karach blade was the thing that I couldn't convey in game - the fact that the sword she breaks and the sword she reforges with her will are different swords.

The sword simply responds to strong emotions and bends itself to the user's will.

Dak'kon never really reforges the Karach blade. Like, he never breaks it and puts it together again. It's more like a mirror that reflects his emotional and spiritual state at the moment. You can change the image in a mirror without shattering it and putting it back together.

Misentro

02-23-2012

If Xyph is still here, would you day that Demacia and Noxus are clearly good and evil respectively, or that they're both morally ambigious (like the Alliance and Horde)?