Malphite at mid

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AznAddict

07-20-2011

Well recently ive been playing tanks lately and i picked up malphite. I realized that malphites q ability has some major harassing dmge. so i deided to go mid with him every game and it turns out fine. Usually early game my score is about 3 0 0 or so with ganks and such. But then end game it seems like my team is so behind cuz the carries couldnt get the exp or somethin idk. SO my question is... is being a tank at mid good or not? even when i get a bunch of kills early game i mean my team should get some assist.

Hedgemonster

07-20-2011

There are two things special about mid:

1. It's 1v1, and

2. It's a short lane.

The first is important because it allows a champ to get all the last hits, and all of the experience. The second is important because a champ is generally closer to their tower at any time, which makes it harder to be ganked.

Because of these differences, an ideal mid champion is one who a) will help the team if they get a lot of gold, b) will help the team if they level up quickly, and c) is generally more susceptible to ganks (squishies who lack escape mechanisms, basically).

In view of the above, you generally want your carries at mid. Carries by nature start out on the weaker end but scale to the stronger end if they get farmed up, which makes them ideal for mid.

As far as having Malphite or someone similar at mid goes, yes they can often do very well in that lane, but since tanks are generally more about using CC and abilities to protect the rest of your team and create killing opportunities, feed and experience aren't going to be put to as good a use by use as they would by a heavy damage dealer.

tl;dr: The mid lane is best utilized by a champion who scales well with gold and experience, and who could use the protection a shorter lane offers. Many tanks can hold mid fine, but it's often a relative waste of resources.

Dr Fagget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

I have seen a malphite dominate in mid a couple of times, so I guess it is very possible. He got plenty of kills and laned against anivia one time and janna (I know right..) the other. He was lvl 30,

malphismia

07-20-2011

once he hits level 6, he ganks side lanes very well. he's sort of like kassadin going mid, except he doesn't fail at laning as much.

sharang3

07-20-2011

Hedgemonster, +1 for a very good and concise reply.

AznAddict

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgemonster View Post
There are two things special about mid:

1. It's 1v1, and

2. It's a short lane.

The first is important because it allows a champ to get all the last hits, and all of the experience. The second is important because a champ is generally closer to their tower at any time, which makes it harder to be ganked.

Because of these differences, an ideal mid champion is one who a) will help the team if they get a lot of gold, b) will help the team if they level up quickly, and c) is generally more susceptible to ganks (squishies who lack escape mechanisms, basically).

In view of the above, you generally want your carries at mid. Carries by nature start out on the weaker end but scale to the stronger end if they get farmed up, which makes them ideal for mid.

As far as having Malphite or someone similar at mid goes, yes they can often do very well in that lane, but since tanks are generally more about using CC and abilities to protect the rest of your team and create killing opportunities, feed and experience aren't going to be put to as good a use by use as they would by a heavy damage dealer.

tl;dr: The mid lane is best utilized by a champion who scales well with gold and experience, and who could use the protection a shorter lane offers. Many tanks can hold mid fine, but it's often a relative waste of resources.
thanks bro now i get how i shouldnt go mid with a tank. really helped with the advise. +1

Ozy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

Prior to his nerfs, I use to mid Malphite all the time. Works out really well for shutting down a farm dependent hero. You have great harass and lane sustainability with your passive.

Starting with a Doran's Ring coupled with the regen from masteries and runes, you'll be able to spam Q liberally. Once you get to 6, you should be able to land an easy kill if the enemy decides to push his/her luck. I use to take Flash and Ignite as summoners so a slight mistake would mean an easy kill.

Bumhunt

07-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznAddict View Post
thanks bro now i get how i shouldnt go mid with a tank. really helped with the advise. +1
but the current meta is malphite solo lane/carries duo lane

ad carries do better with farm but not lvls, malphite is a tank/anticarry and needs a solo lane to excel fwiw

VVstar

07-24-2011

malphite mid is good against certain champions, for example i would definitely not send annie mid against veigar, instead i should let malph mid so he can at least hold the tower and not giving veigar feeds

Hiclic

07-24-2011

Current meta is:
Top - Tanky
Mid - AP
Bot - Carry + Support
Jungle

Supports do not compete for CS on bot, they protect the carries and let them farm up. Supports get their gold through g/10 items. That way your carries are more protected from ganks, but still protect dragon and get their farm.