Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Heart of Gold

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aellivor

07-20-2011

I'm unsure how worth it this item is. Its cost is 850 gold and generates 5 gold every 10 seconds, but it looks like it would take holding this item for pretty much a half of an hour to come even. I do need it for building a Randuin's Omen, but it seems other items would be more useful in the early game?

TwistWrist

07-20-2011

Don't look at it sololy for the gold. Do you need the stats that it gives and go accordingly. If you are going to build an Omen anyway, then just think of the gold as a nice bonus.

I personally rush a Philo Stone and HoG on Blitzcrank. Get both around the 8 min mark. Usually keep them for at least 20 minutes before I sell or upgrade them. Granted, I'm playing Blitzcrank for utility and not damage. Those two items keep me in lane forever and let me be a bit tankier early game.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-20-2011

They actually made the gold gain items unique to themselves (you can still stack one of each item, but you can't get the gold passive from two or more of the same item), as players were stacking gold items on tanks/supports or roamers, and it was getting ridiculous. You don't get the items just for the gold, you get them because you need the stats, and the gold is a bonus (though a very nice one). You say it 'breaks even', however that's not exactly true. Think of it as paying for itself; it eventually becomes free health, AP, crit, or regen (depending on the item), and then starts earning you extra gold. If you're planning on selling the item later, you don't even need to wait as long before selling them to get to the 'break even' point; Philosopher's stones for example, provide mana and health regen that a lot of champions need early for the sustainability when they don't have the lifesteal or mana regen and AP for healing to keep themselves up between fights. They're also exceptionally nice on champions that don't farm as well, for supports who are allowing their lane partner to last hit (this is really only viable at higher Elos), or as I mentioned earlier, champions that are spending more time roaming around looking for ganks than they spend on farming.

CEO Kasen

07-20-2011

Quote:
Originally posted by LoL Wiki:

This item will pay for itself after 27 minutes and 30 seconds. If you sell it, it takes 13 minutes and 45 seconds.

And yes, if you're building it into Omen, that means that at 27:30 your Omen costs 850 less gold.

Haen

Recruiter

07-20-2011

I assume if you're looking at an omen, you're playing mostly tanks. HoG is a great tank item as you will generally get fewer last hits and therefore not as much gold as some of the rest of your team. So in order to keep up with the damage dealers on gold, these items are great.

SomniumProxy

07-20-2011

Getting an early heart of gold is insanely good if your champ needs the health. I actually open with a heart of gold fairly often. Like mentioned above, the gold is a bonus not what you pay for. You still get good health from the item.

Also you shouldn't think of the item as paying for itself. If you need early health, then you HAVE that health, and the item is rather paying for your next items.

Also, don't underestimate gold. 200 gold is not to be taken lightly, that's 10 creeps or 2 assits. And the item will net you a lot more than 200.

Yoyo8300

07-20-2011

its really helpful if you are playing supports because you dont have as much cs (at least you shouldnt) and so the gold bonus will help make up for it

same thing with philo stones

Tusky Duskie

07-20-2011

I find this gold-generating mechanic quite disturbing actually. I mean, I don't have to be good at last hitting or farming if I an just stack a heart of gold, philosopher's stone and avarice blade (as an AD champ that uses mana), then sell it as and when I buy items for that champ. I just do not find this mechanic really good for promoting skill in this game. Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: Good job downvoting when all I did was express my views. Maybe I just need to not contradict popular opinions and follow them blindly without asking for a reason.

TwistWrist

07-20-2011

Eh, not really, they can delay your core build a lot. Plus, 3 GP10 is ridiculous. You can get 3 GP10's at the 13 minute mark? That's a BF Sword and some boots for AD carries. Which is why carries don't get it at all. Plus to come out even, you'd have to hold each GP10 item for 13 minutes before selling. So you'd start being even around the 20ish minute mark assuming you got a GP10 at 4, 9 and 13 min marks. That's a lot of time to not buff your damage output as an AD champ.

Most champions just get a Philo stone for the mana and hp regen and that's it. Some can get away with a HoG as well like Jarvan. But 3 GP10 just delays you way into the mid and late game plus takes up inventory slots that you need for items, boots, and wards. You are warding still right?

And you have hold onto them (assuming you going Avarice or Kage) for a bit else they don't really make sense. Probably way beyond laning period already and I doubt those two are enough of a boost to your DPS during the teamfight phase. Easier to not get them and build normally.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-20-2011

Gold/10 items don't make up for not farming, other than on a support who is intentionally not last hitting, to save the farm for an ally. Gold generation is fine, but if you're using it as your only means of farming, you're going to be severely out gunned come mid-late game, beyond the fact that you'll be near useless before that point anyway.