AP Tryndamere: Troll, or Legit?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jayboat

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

I encountered my first AP Tryndamere about a month ago. Since then, I've been experimenting with using this build, and I can see how it sets up both as a troll and legit build.

For the people that don't constantly look at champ items (like I do), the common tank stacks armor when they see Tryndamere and another common-AD champ grouped up. In this instance, AP Tryndamere is dominant, while the enemy champions wonder how Tryn just swooped in with a Spinning Slash and got a double kill.

For those who DO look at champ items, and ally champs whom have never seen this build, AP Tryndamere comes off as a joke. That's exactly how I felt when I encountered this weird* setup.

So, my question is, how does everyone else feel about AP Tryndamere? Are there any tips for setting up a better build for it?

*Edit: Apparently the proper use of the word 'kweer' is frowned upon.

Nickicksu

07-20-2011

I play it whenever I pick trynd. Just cause he farms a lot. No real tips, just farm like a mofo. Even if you go AP you can still put in a phantom dancer just so you crit more which means the cd on your spin goes down more and you can spin more.

Cara Astras

07-20-2011

AP Tryndamere:

Build ~
Ionian Boots + Sheen
Lich Bane
Blazing Wand -> Death Cap
Hextech Revolver -> Gunblade
Deathfire Grasp
???

Runes ~
CD Redux At 18 = 10%
Fill the rest with AP / Spell Pen

Ambushking

07-20-2011

its for Lawls when trolling

did he just SS the whole team"?... yes

frankybeanz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-20-2011

lol definitely troll imho. :P but its still really cool. death cap + lichbane and you'll 2 shot everyone

Jayboat

07-21-2011

I've already discovered the fatal flaw of AP Tryndamere: Whenever you tell your allies in champ select, they think you're trolling THEM, and proceed to either leave queue or ruin your game.

MeoDea

07-21-2011

I can understand what you mean, I saw an AP tryn and was impressed by the farm. The secret I discovered is that yea, going straight AP can work, but not really well most of the time. So my idea was to start more conventionally. PD and a IE (no particular order), and THEN go deathcap lichbane. Going back only to come back with a bunch of AP, SSing an entire wave down and going for the kill often times gets it, catching someone off guard. 700 damage crits backed by 700 damage spins. Its like the other spin to win

Rakaydos

07-21-2011

We'll have to see how the Trynamyere remake (using rage instead of bloodthirst stacks and getting rage on normal hots) interacts with Spinning Slash's cooldown reduction

Beaumains

07-21-2011

Not nearly as effective as a standard tryn. AP tryn can do, ad most 5k damage in 5 seconds (assuming impossible CDR and 0 MR on enemies). Standard tryn can do 10k+ damage in 5 seconds. Also, SS scales directly off of AD and AP. So, some AP can help if you get it from bonus sources (e.g. runes/masteries, secondary item effects) especially since it buffs the heal from Bloodlust significantly. However, it ultimately only provides an edge where there's honestly no better way to use resources. Tryndamere already suffers enough redundancy, adding mana items just compounds the issue. Tryndamere is built to crit; so make him crit, and crit hard. My current best w/ tryn is 1600+ for one hit, which is ~3.2k+/sec assuming no change in targets (armor has to be reduced).

Jayboat

07-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaumains View Post
Tryndamere is built to crit; so make him crit, and crit hard..
While you are right, in your own respects, it's this kind of thinking that makes trying something else all the more difficult. Yes, standard AD/Crit Tryndamere is wildly effective, but don't you ever get bored of playing the same way every time?

It's things like AP Tryndamere and AD Janna that make this game that much more enjoyable; it gives a sense of accomplishment, when you win, by breaking out of the standard.