Champ skills to level up (general query)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2011

rofl I'm a vision *****. I probably spend a good 1k on wards alone per game on top of running clair.

And yes, I consider mana costs as well before considering what I want to level up. My point being is that I find going a 5/2/1 to not the end all be all strategy of LoL. You can name "X champion needs 5 of this" and in a lot of cases I'll agree (see gp's gun). In a lot of situations whether it be matchups, game flow, etc. a hybrid 3/3/3 or 4/3/2 tends to be more effective due to cdr, manacosts per damage dealt, and overall % scaling/utility.

It's just that literally every "recommended" skill build/guide will call for something to be at 5 at level 9 without ever fully analyzing why going from 4 to 5 is overall more beneficial than going from 1-2 or 2-3 on something else.

Jairoe

07-19-2011

However, really how many champions really are necessary to level 3/3/3 or 4/3/2 as opposed to 5/2/1? Look at Ashe, Volley always gets maxed because its crazy at harrassing and farming. Level 2 frost arrows, sure could be level 3 but generally its good enough to perform early game ganks, its passable. We won't even talk about the Hawk. Can you suffer forgoing 1 or 2 levels of Volley for a little more gank potential which you usually guarantee at level 2 anyway? I don't think I even have the math abilities to be like..man if only he was 10% slower I would of had him. Plus the utility of Volley involves farming and harrassing and its AoE as opposed to a single target slow. So thats an obvious situation.

Rammus might be able to put up more of an argument for things already listed. Soraka is actually a unique situation for me (I'm mainly a support player right now), because I see most people max Heal first and I actually focus on her Silence first because I see more value in more mana, decent early harrass damage and most importantly the insane silence time as opposed to reversing a bit of damage. I find I provide more support pumping mana into hopefully a ranged ad laned with me and harrassing (I don't think many low level players know how much a pain a harrassing support champion can be just with the ranged attack, yet alone a nuke+silence). I even find myself forgetting Starfall until much later for more heals if I find I need it or don't feel the Starfall is needed right away i.e. less AP champs on team. Then again, you can easily argue to evenly level Heal and Silence 4/4, but Mana/Nuke/Silence has much more uses.

So really how many champions actually are in the situation where there would be more value in NOT maxing and averaging out their skills? I tried to think of some and I'm having a hard time reaching.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2011

Actually when I play ashe I like maxing owl first and last hitting everything I can. +5 gold/kill makes me cream my pants.