Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Champ skills to level up (general query)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2pudge1cup

07-19-2011

rofl I'm a vision *****. I probably spend a good 1k on wards alone per game on top of running clair.

And yes, I consider mana costs as well before considering what I want to level up. My point being is that I find going a 5/2/1 to not the end all be all strategy of LoL. You can name "X champion needs 5 of this" and in a lot of cases I'll agree (see gp's gun). In a lot of situations whether it be matchups, game flow, etc. a hybrid 3/3/3 or 4/3/2 tends to be more effective due to cdr, manacosts per damage dealt, and overall % scaling/utility.

It's just that literally every "recommended" skill build/guide will call for something to be at 5 at level 9 without ever fully analyzing why going from 4 to 5 is overall more beneficial than going from 1-2 or 2-3 on something else.

Jairoe

07-19-2011

However, really how many champions really are necessary to level 3/3/3 or 4/3/2 as opposed to 5/2/1? Look at Ashe, Volley always gets maxed because its crazy at harrassing and farming. Level 2 frost arrows, sure could be level 3 but generally its good enough to perform early game ganks, its passable. We won't even talk about the Hawk. Can you suffer forgoing 1 or 2 levels of Volley for a little more gank potential which you usually guarantee at level 2 anyway? I don't think I even have the math abilities to be like..man if only he was 10% slower I would of had him. Plus the utility of Volley involves farming and harrassing and its AoE as opposed to a single target slow. So thats an obvious situation.

Rammus might be able to put up more of an argument for things already listed. Soraka is actually a unique situation for me (I'm mainly a support player right now), because I see most people max Heal first and I actually focus on her Silence first because I see more value in more mana, decent early harrass damage and most importantly the insane silence time as opposed to reversing a bit of damage. I find I provide more support pumping mana into hopefully a ranged ad laned with me and harrassing (I don't think many low level players know how much a pain a harrassing support champion can be just with the ranged attack, yet alone a nuke+silence). I even find myself forgetting Starfall until much later for more heals if I find I need it or don't feel the Starfall is needed right away i.e. less AP champs on team. Then again, you can easily argue to evenly level Heal and Silence 4/4, but Mana/Nuke/Silence has much more uses.

So really how many champions actually are in the situation where there would be more value in NOT maxing and averaging out their skills? I tried to think of some and I'm having a hard time reaching.

2pudge1cup

07-19-2011

Actually when I play ashe I like maxing owl first and last hitting everything I can. +5 gold/kill makes me cream my pants.