Malzahar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kesmah

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2011

I just recently bought Malzahar and I am kind of confused by what role his ult plays in end game team fights.

In 1v1 its usually gg if you catch someone on Null Zone with it, however at the end of the game I'm not sure who the prime target would be and when. I have been using is to suppress and damage the carries but getting interrupted is a risk.

Is it a clean up for the end of the fights or early surpression? Target AD carry or AP?

Bartolemi

07-19-2011

Suppress the biggest threat to your team. It's that simple.

Rrbhaunoch

07-19-2011

It can be a great way to punish somebody for overextending, but generally I try to save Malz's ult for AFTER the initiation and counter-initiation. My general rule early on in my playing Malzahar was to let the initiation happen, get in to cast E and Q, count to 2, W ult any carry, or even a tank if they are under 50% health. Watch the graphic for your ult so you can E them again right when the suppression ends...if they aren't already dead that is.

If they have one person that is really carrying the opposing team, you can't go wrong with using it on them early...if it makes the other team burn a bunch of CDs then it can still be worth it. There are obvious situations that you can save it for like channeled ults (nunu, WW, Kat etc) or when sight to be restored on invisible types (one of my FAVORITE uses is to flash ult an Eve or Twitch when they pop out...it can completely shut them down and I consider it to be a hard counter to those champions). Spell vamp has great synergy with his ult if you want to use it early in team fights...try buying a hextech revolver right after you buy your deathcap. You can do so much damage with E W R combo that you can heal enough to survive a lot of carries with 20% spell vamp... If somebody consistently breaks your ult during fights, try to use it on that person before they have an opportunity Keep playing him and you will get a feel for it I think

YokoDervenOmega

07-19-2011

I used to get Will of Ancients on Malz for a while but the spell vamp isn't as useful as a different item such as Zonya's Hourglass / Abysl Sceptor / insert mage item here...

tumultuoustempus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartolemi View Post
Suppress the biggest threat to your team. It's that simple.
It is really not that simple. Malzahar is, more than many AP casters, all about psoitioning in teamfights. If you just run toward their carry and ult them, you'll get knocked on your a$$ and beaten down instantly.

Definitely don't initiate with it unless you catch someone out of position and you are sure their team isn't close enough to interrupt you. Best bet is to hide in the shadows and just throw your Q, W, and E until you get the opportunity to either sneak around the back, or flash over to one of their carries and catch them off guard while the tanks/off-tanks are busy.

Really, it takes a lot of practice.