Resetting video options

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Felstag

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-23-2010

Hey! my Monitor doesn't like being set to resolutions that don't match want it can run on, While changing my video settings, I Misclicked and set it to one resolution which my monitor cant handle, so now when I enter a game, my monitor shuts down.

So the question, is there any way to change or reset the Video options without being in a match? I checked the options from the lobby but I couldn't find anything! thanks!

Sorry if this info is already posted! I looked but I didn't see anything that might help!

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-24-2010

This is the default directory for LoL

C:\Riot Games\League of Legends\game\DATA\CFG

Go there and open the game.cfg file up in notepad, change the Height and Width lines to your desired resolution, and save the file back to the folder. Launch the game, all will be well.

Khaztr

04-24-2010

I have the same problem and changing that file does absolutely nothing.

It's almost like it's more of an export of the current game settings than the actual place where the game looks to get its configuration.

The game constantly wants to set my resolution to 1280x800, which my monitor does not support. I even tried changing the "Windowed" flag to 1, but it still tries to go full screen.

BTW, the problem started when I changed my target framerate setting to "High" while in game. It worked fine for the remainder of that match, but starting with the next one it tried the 1280x800 resolution and I haven't been able to get it to change to anything from 800x600 to 1680x1050 (which my monitor's native resolution).

Any other ideas? I could reinstall, but I think it'd be better to find the solution to this problem, and perhaps the cause so that the devs can fix it!

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-24-2010

If you properly edit the width and height and SAVE the file as game.cfg not game.cfg.txt, it should work. If not you will have to reinstall the application.

Edit, actually I will post a file for you, one sec.

Copy that game.cfg into your directory and replace the one you have. Once in game adjust the quality of the settings, but that file should put you at your native resolution. If this doesn't work you would have to reinstall.

Just make sure you unzip it first >.<

Khaztr

04-25-2010

How weird, even though I was saving properly and everything, your cfg file did the trick! There must have been another setting in the original cfg that was bad, other than the resolution....

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to do that for me! The only problem is that my FOV is now completely messed up. I'm zoomed in way too close, and the mouse wheel doesn't zoom in and out like it used to. Any ideas there?

EDIT: Aha! The original file was missing the "UserSetResolution" flag. Yours has it equal to 1. So is that something we need to put in every time we change the resolution from the cfg file? Think it might have to do with the zooming problem I'm having? I'm afraid to touch it and break it again...

Postal Twinkie

Wrenchman

04-25-2010

My game.cfg is the default config, just has settings increased via the in-game menu. If your game.cfg was missing something than it may be been corrupted at some point. I would just change the settings in-game and you should be fine.

Arthimus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-18-2011

Hello, i kinda pulled the same thing the first guy did where my resolution is set wrong and now my monitor shuts down when i try to play league i cant seem to find anyway to fix the problem. I've tried fixing it the way you guys stated but do to riot changing all the folders and whatnot i cant even find the game.cfg file i need to modify ive uninstalled league restart the comp installed restarted and nothing seems to fix my problem can anyone help me on fixing this problem?

v1Bes

12-02-2011

I can't find the League Of Legends/Game file

Erbivore

12-08-2011

Same here, the game folder isnt preset AT ALL......

Jehanne

12-15-2011

The game folder is not present on my computer as well. I cannot find any other advice as to change the monitor settings out of game so I am forced to reinstall my game. Which I don't even know if that will fix the problem.