@Riot, 1 free champion unlock

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

saerif

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2011

Seems like my point was missed. I honestly believe that if accounts are provided a choice of champions to permanently unlock upon creation it would net a larger player return on accounts that quit before level 5.

saerif

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldrart View Post
The Battle Training gives around 520 IP, and then you can get the free Tristana via facebook, thats a 450 and a 1350, do you want a 3150 too?
I am level 30 and would not benefit from this at all, but i was thinking about a few friends of mine that quit after the first night of playing and what might have made a more memorable time. I believe if they had a coupon to temp unlock any champ that night they probably would still be playing, even without knowing what that champion does they would have an invested interest and be drawn to stay.
Also to prevent smurfs i think a MAC or IP association for accounts wouldn't be a bad idea. That way people who have logged onto LoL on higher levels prior that day would have the connection tagged and then be queued with other tagged connections. This would help keep smurfs and trolls in one group and let newbies get a feel for the game with a lot less harrassment.

ReplaySupport

07-19-2011

Heroes of Newerth has 100% of the game content unlocked from day 1, all 80+ champions waiting for you to play them for just $10. Earn in game skins/sounds/models by playing just playing the game!

Heroes of Newerth has clans,clan channel administration, ability to invite friends into custom games, ability to "follow" friends into custom games (instantly join your friends game when they join a game), ability to change settings before starting a game, ability to access chat channels in game, permanent leaver mark (Leave 2% of your games and you can't join matchmaking or 'no leaver' games), ability to search custom games using filters and key words. ability to choose location of matchmaking (EU/USWest/USEast) and location of custom game servers (EU/USW/USE/JPN/AUS + many others)

Buy Heroes of Newerth for $10, play rated games immediately, get access to all 80+ heroes immediately, access to full game history and replays!. Limited time offer, ends today!
No weekly downtime for patches, patches are applied live with no downtime!

http://heroesofnewerth.com/ref.php?r=FBSR0V38

Limited bonus offer, 400 in game coins, and a free exclusive skin from IGN Prime!
http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showpost.php?p=13914317&postcount=2

Melogrunty

07-19-2011

If players could unlock a champion of any price right after tutorial there would be three problems:

1. Player chooses to unlock a difficult champion to do well with and quits because it is too hard to learn the game when the champion is so complex.
2. Buying champions through the cash shop would not be attractive to new players because they could basically use any champion just by creating new accounts.
2a. Smurfs -- high level players who create new accounts just to stomp new players -- would have access to their desired champion right away instead of buying IP boosts from the cash shop or even just outright buying the champion with RP as well.

This is a losing situation for Riot in a lot of ways. Champs 1350 IP and below are pretty easy to learn but the pros still use them so it isn't like you can't play to the best of your ability using a lower cost champion. Free weeks give players the chance to try out 10 champions each week without buying any of them. If you play a free week champ and really like them you can save up IP to buy them through playing more matches or you can buy RP (cash shop points) and buy the character without having to play a lot of games. The current system is very good for new players in letting them preview champs instead of buying one, trying it out, and regretting the purchase.

EDIT: The advertisement spam is for a game with a much worse community and the game isn't free. Riot doesn't need to spam other forums because the player base grows on its own and the game is going uphill rather than downhill like the spambot's game advertised.

saerif

07-19-2011

@Melogrunty

1. Just have links to champion spotlights prior/upon using champion unlock coupon.

2 and 3. Only give coupons to new ip's/ MAC addresses. First time connections/new players to the LoL servers would recieve this and everyone making smurfs wouldn't. (It should be noted that coupons are 1 time per computer connection to clarify to new players that new acct creation is not an option.)

Now it is not a losing situation but an increase on new player base retention.

Haen

07-19-2011

On top of which a free any unlock would generate a huge influx of new, useless accounts. I know I would probably make a new account or two to try out a couple champions I either missed on free week or haven't been free in a while. This uses up space needlessly on their servers and takes away desired summoner names for new players. Kinda a lose/lose all around.

saerif

07-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElf View Post
On top of which a free any unlock would generate a huge influx of new, useless accounts. I know I would probably make a new account or two to try out a couple champions I either missed on free week or haven't been free in a while. This uses up space needlessly on their servers and takes away desired summoner names for new players. Kinda a lose/lose all around.
:/ Read please, limit the unlocks to "New IP's/MAC addresses" im sure there are other ways to note computers as being prior users and enforce via new or exhisting.

ergoproxy1

07-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by saerif View Post
:/ Read please, limit the unlocks to "New IP's/MAC addresses" im sure there are other ways to note computers as being prior users and enforce via new or exhisting.
i know several people who play on the same computer so this would be a deterrent to family style players

Razorbliss

Recruiter

07-19-2011

A) as stated: the tutorial pretty much gives a free champ, and so does conecting with facebook.

B) untill at least level 5 (possibly ten, not sure they changed it after i got past it), accounts have an increased IP gain for unlocking champs and such quicker.

C) the "new IP's/MAC addresses" idea has a serious problem. I have a friend that all three of her kids play on the same computer. I've introduced a couple people to the game that only used my computer untill they got to lv 5 or so, simply because they didn't know if it would be interesting enough to keep their attention to download.

D) using the ip/mac address idea to break smurfs wouldn't help too much, as they could just get on another computer, create the account, get the coupon, then just log in on their main comp to play.

Bantha Foder

07-19-2011

Some people do not understand the simplistic marketing approach that this provides. Give the customer something personal that they can claim their own and a desire to keep that object is established which would translate into more recurring customers. An account name with nothing else is not that personal but a chosen character( 1 facebook champion is not really much of a choice) activated through the shop would entice players to continue playing their champion instead of quitting because they do not understand the random champions. Also introduces new players to the shop and stimulates early shop use on new accounts.