@Riot, 1 free champion unlock

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

saerif

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2011

I have played many free to play MOBA's in the past few years and am suprised that there is no free champion coupon or 30 day(time frame irrelevant) champion trial coupons for new accounts. I understand with champion rotation that this may seem moot but it would help anchor new players through a sense of ownership with a chosen champion. With how the community is atm, this option would have to be earned through say completing the tutorials and maybe reaching level 10 or 15 to discourage smurfs as well as maybe limiting the IP amount of the unlock to say 3150. Another option that should not be to game breaking is provide a free 450 ip champion unlock upon successful login/creation. This would provide the player with a champion at level 1 that they would feel is "their champion" and keep them coming back.

TLDR : New accounts should recieve at least a 450ip champion unlock. Benefits would be two sided for riot and the player.

New : The biggest problem most people bring up is smurfs, make it a 1 time per computer option and problem solved. This was just an idea to increase new player retention and most people seem negative towards it seemingly because it was not an option when they started.

Haen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2011

If you link your facebook to your account. You get Tristana and a skin for her for free.

Wrenchman Golin

Senior Wrenchmen

07-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElf View Post
If you link your facebook to your account. You get Tristana and a skin for her for free.
This is true and she's a 1350 IP champion.

Breidr

07-19-2011

complete the tutorials and you get enough ip to buy a champion (450 I believe)... working as intended.

ChiliRing

07-19-2011

yeah by the time you find a 450 toon that you like you should be able to afford it

y2khippy

07-19-2011

The Battle Training tutorial gives out between 450 and 500 IP on compleation and does alot to help you learn about the game, lanes and most importantly how dangerous the towers are and how much range they have.

With this and Facebook Tristana, you have two champs at level 2. You should also beable to reach 1350 IP at about 6th or 7th level if we do well. Add all this to the free champion rotation system you have meny options when you start a new account.

Soldrart

07-19-2011

The Battle Training gives around 520 IP, and then you can get the free Tristana via facebook, thats a 450 and a 1350, do you want a 3150 too?

redeux

07-19-2011

Don't let the price of champions fool you,

IP =/= how good a champion is.

Ashe is a 450 IP and is one of the benchmarks of what we consider "balanced" in the game. She is physical ranged carry who does less damage than other AD ranged carries, however she offers great utility to her team in map awareness, slowing and stunning/initiating with a well placed arrow.

Likewise, just because a champion is 450 or 1350 IP doesn't mean they aren't good. I think there is wisdom to Riot's methods. They give you a free champion rotation so you get to try out all kinds of different champions. This is beneficial to new players because IP does admittingly take up quite a bit of time to save up for some champions that are 6300 and Riot wants to make sure you want that champion rather than just buy it and find out that you don't like them. For instance, when I first started playing the game I bought a 3150 champ that I had never played her before. Why? because I heard they were good. I ended up playing about 10 games or so before I stopped playing them. That was a huge waste of my IP because she didn't fit my playstyle and I hadn't taken advantage of the free week rotation in the sense of finding a champion that i'd like to play for a long-term basis. That was on me, not riot. So, take your time with the free week rotations and and find one that you like and buy them. 450-3150 IP are all pretty reasonable prices for a new player. 6300 is too, just be cautious because it is quite a bit of IP and you'll want a good amount of IP when you reach level 20 for runes.

purdue

07-19-2011

Invite 10 friends and get 975 RP free. Good for any champion, even those which cost 6300 IP.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

07-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Il redeux Il View Post
Don't let the price of champions fool you,

IP =/= how good a champion is.

Ashe is a 450 IP and is one of the benchmarks of what we consider "balanced" in the game. She is physical ranged carry who does less damage than other AD ranged carries, however she offers great utility to her team in map awareness, slowing and stunning/initiating with a well placed arrow.

Likewise, just because a champion is 450 or 1350 IP doesn't mean they aren't good. I think there is wisdom to Riot's methods. They give you a free champion rotation so you get to try out all kinds of different champions. This is beneficial to new players because IP does admittingly take up quite a bit of time to save up for some champions that are 6300 and Riot wants to make sure you want that champion rather than just buy it and find out that you don't like them. For instance, when I first started playing the game I bought a 3150 champ that I had never played her before. Why? because I heard they were good. I ended up playing about 10 games or so before I stopped playing them. That was a huge waste of my IP because she didn't fit my playstyle and I hadn't taken advantage of the free week rotation in the sense of finding a champion that i'd like to play for a long-term basis. That was on me, not riot. So, take your time with the free week rotations and and find one that you like and buy them. 450-3150 IP are all pretty reasonable prices for a new player. 6300 is too, just be cautious because it is quite a bit of IP and you'll want a good amount of IP when you reach level 20 for runes.
Don't forget that assuming equal last hits (including minion type) with another champion (other than Gangplank, possibly TF on the team, and ignoring gold/10), she'll have more gold than any other champion due to her E. This is fairly significant, especially if you rank it up pretty early.