[Guide] Kennen: DON'T TAZE ME BRO!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krusher114

04-27-2010

+1 for the title.

Obfuscation

06-12-2010

Attention:

Haunting Guise no longer has spell vamp. Which annoys me because it was such a convenient little item: AP, health, spell pen, and vamp for a pretty cheap price. In any case, I am trying some new item builds (rushing the scepter first, getting sorc boots, the revolver/will of the ancients), and will update the guide when I settle something specific I like. I might even actually try a hybrid build with the new items that are out now.

Until then, I would like to hear what is working for others out there.

Obfuscation

08-24-2010

Attention Kennen Enthusiasts:

As you probably know, Kennen has been adjusted:

Kennen

• Electrical Surge ability power ratio increased to 0.55 from 0.45
  • Lightning Rush
    • Energy cost reduced to 100 from 110
    • Lightning Rush now provides 10/20/30/40/50 magic resistance and armor for 4 seconds
  • Slicing Maelstrom
    • Ability power ratio increased to 0.4 from 0.33
    • Maximum number of bolts increased to 6/10/15 from 6/8/10 (this still retains the cap of 3 hits per target)
    • Removed the cap of applying only 1 Mark of The Storm per target
  • Mark of the Storm (passive) stun duration reduced to 1 second from 1.25. Mark of the Storm has a diminished stun effect if applied more than once within seven seconds.

I can't say I am thrilled about this overall. Sure, the obvious buffs are nice. But the nerf to MotS...

I will be fair and dutifully test him before I say whether it was worth it or not.

Zelias

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-24-2010

Pretty good item build. Might have to try it sometime. Usually play as Kennen, he's a good champ.

Obfuscation

09-17-2010

***As always, these comments are purely about Twisted Treeline. That is important to note because SM was able to hit an entire team quickly in 3v3, which gives the discussion on SM a whole different tone.

Slicing Maelstrom/MotS Changes:
Riot has tuned the stun time and Diminishing Returns so it takes three stuns to have an equivalent duration to what used to be two stuns. Good new/bad news on that…

Good news: SM provides that third stun with ease.
Bad news: The double stun combo attack that Kennen players used for their bread and butter has become much less effective

In exchange, Kennen is much more capable of delivering more stuns to multiple targets during a team fight (shortened as they may be). Note that this also provides him more refunded energy from his passive, so it can help keep an assault going. Essentially, he is more effective in larger scale fights, and less so in laning and smaller fights. So is it worth it?

I am disappointed that without the ult, my strongest attack/laning/harassing/target assassination combo (a set up double stun combo) got its stun duration nerfed by around 30%. But I cannot deny that it has made him much more useful in 5s. It also makes SM a quick interrupt for some channeled spells (life drain for example).

Ultimately, in 3v3s there isn't anything game breaking in one direction or another. So since I always viewed Kennen as viable in 3s, I suppose I have to concede that Riot did its job correctly.

The rest of the changes:
The LR armor and MR buffs is pretty dang nice. LR is now a much stronger initiator (though Zhonya's still seems like it might be needed in 5s to survive). It also validates building LR and ES together rather than power leveling one or the other (as I see many Kennen's do).

The AP ratio boosts are always welcome. If you take the standard 300 AP (which seems to be the benchmark on the forums, though games rarely go long enough to get that in TT), the buff increases his damage by 93 for his entire salvo, before MR of course. Take that for what it is worth, as to whether or not it was enough (my vote is that it isn’t, but I am biased :P).

@Geeves: re: Alternate Builds
I test a lot of different builds with Kennen, some successful and some not so much (apologies to the teams that are stuck with me on those games). I also almost exclusively play him on TT. My main build generally follows the Rylai’s path that is popular, 9/21/0, fairly standard caster rune page with dodge seals added for yellows (I will note that my ability to train enemies has been diminished by the MotS change).

I have also tried using lots of AS runes (+30% base), and going Guinsooearly , then getting the more conventional AP items. It actually worked better than I would have guessed, and added great damage to towers and helped stunning in prolonged fights (essentially less defense, higher risk, higher reward).

Currently, I am testing an ‘on the cheap’ build. This includes items like haunting guise and the revolver (upgraded to will of the ancients later) to rapidly upgrade damage and survivability rather than taking big steps like with Rylai’s and Zohnya’s. I have not been able to really gauge its true effectiveness though since my recent games have been complete blow outs (in both directions). However, I will say the initial tests have shown some promise.

malphismia

09-18-2010

Could you make a SR guide to Kennen? I know he's more effective on TT, but I hate that god**** map :P

Was also wondering if you could clarify his ult for me.

Quote:
Slicing Maelstrom - Kennen summons a storm that strikes at random nearby enemy champions for magical damage.
Summons a magical storm that deals 80/145/210 (+0.4) magic damage to a random enemy champion near Kennen every 0.5 seconds. This storm attacks up to 6/10/15 times and cannot hit the same target more than 3 times.
It attacks every 0.5 seconds, and 6/10/15 times, so does this mean his ult lasts for 3/5/7.5 seconds?

And if it attacks 6/10/15 times, does this mean the base damage is 480/1450/3150 , with overall AP ratio of 2.4/4/6 (multiply # of hits by AP ratio)

Because if this is so....HOLY !@#%..

Obfuscation

09-19-2010

i think his ult lasts around 3-4 seconds regardless of level. it does not last only the duration that it would take to deal out its allotted hits.

also note that it can only hit a single target up to 3 times. so the max you could do to a target (before AP and MR) is 240/435/630.

as for writing an SR guide, i could try to add another section to this one. id have to beef up the discussions of lanings, team fights, and perhaps some skill/item order changes. i'll see what happens as i play him more in SR.

Obfuscation

08-12-2011

Hurray for Kennen buffs!

Kennen

• Thundering Shuriken ability power ratio increased to .75 from .66
  • Lightning Rush
    • Energy cost adjusted to 100/95/90/85/80 from 100 at all levels
    • Ability power ratio increased to .6 from .55
Guide updated to reflect the changes. TS always did feel a little weak; I pretty much only use it for marks and training with rylai's more than a source of damage. And the reduction in cost to LR is greatly appreciated.