Chauster "NESL Fiasco"

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dethie

07-18-2011

If NESL admins and eSports people were so easy to contact and they were actually friendly towards players, I am sure Chauster would have tried to resolve issues with them internally first. He's been a pro players for years now, and this is actually the first time I have seen him speak his mind publicly in this manner. From what I have seen/read this past weekend, he's certainly not an immature 15 year old.

But instead he got called an "ignorant fuk" publicly by a NESL admin himself after merely speaking his mind. After being called out by Jiji on Twitter, all Orcasm did was giving halfassed apology via Jiji's Twitter. After something like that, a formal public apology is the least Orcasm could have issued to diffuse the sh!tstorm that was about to ensue. Put yourself in his shoes, Riotmarcou, and think for a second. How would you have reacted when the people you are supposed to approach to resolve things "internally" just went at you with open hostility and not even one ounce of respect? What else can he do to bring attention to the problem, a HUGE problem, that is causing the competitive league of legends scene to look like a joke day after day?

Quote:
When the people in Egypt and Bahrain and Libya were dealt injustice by their administration, they took to the streets because going to the top felt futile and ineffective. I would guarantee that there is, if not unstated, a sentimentality that the players would receive nothing by confronting the current NESL regime. If a person or populace feels that the powers that be cannot fix the issues at hand, the only democratic solution is to engender outrage and seek others to pick up their mantle.

PinkDude

07-18-2011

RIOT need to step it up, but guess what?

They ain't gonna do anything, that is what they are best at.

Fiarce

07-18-2011

Simple case of having lazy administration not wanted to do their jobs and acting like tired immature children.

Riot must have some sort of very serious connection. If this was SC2, Blizzard would have said, "Find a new tournament, screw these guys."

Dragull

07-18-2011

MLG >> NESL

I can't understand how people still don't like MLG. Yes they have their problem but they are by far much more professionals.

Chilipapa

07-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ycats View Post
@Marcou

after reading your posts, you are pretty making a point saying that Both side the admins and players should respect each other and that they should have handle this in a better manner.

But do you realized what the admins has to lose and what the players has to lose? Admins can make a mistakes and messes up a tournament and they will lose nothing, but the players on the other hand can lose hours of practice time they put into it and the prize money. So please think of what both sides has to lose before asking us to respect the admins while they are the one who messes up first.

nESL admins would lose the only thing they have in this community, which is their affiliation to nESL. Never been a big fan of them anyways. If they were good, they'd be playing on those teams rather than fail timering picks, making bad calls, and trying to play up their power as admins.

daiwai

07-18-2011

bump

Poopiee

07-18-2011

Aww it was moved to competitive Discussion <.< thats why noone is replying now, lame

LilBill

07-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoenVayne View Post
@Marcou

I stopped following a lot of the thread around page 35, but my only statement is this:

When the people in Egypt and Bahrain and Libya were dealt injustice by their administration, they took to the streets because going to the top felt futile and ineffective. I would guarantee that there is, if not unstated, a sentimentality that the players would receive nothing by confronting the current NESL regime. If a person or populace feels that the powers that be cannot fix the issues at hand, the only democratic solution is to engender outrage and seek others to pick up their mantle.

Chauster called into questions NESL's legitimacy as a whole, is it not in kind with his sentiment to elicit community action? I wouldn't say his actions were immature or out of line, though the tone of his blog might have been somewhat juvenile. He was seeking retribution with transparency to force movement because thigns are now under scrutiny. It was a thought-out and understandable maneuver, not QQ seeking publicity.
I thought that everyone on this forums had a secret agreement to never bring politics into LoL matters.

@Marcou, really? So basically you are actually more disappointed in Chauster's actions because he spoke out against these ******bags at NESL? Woooooow, any credibility you had at DH pretty much went down the drain. Really, you aren't going to punish a referee AGAIN? Oh yeah, lecture him please do. I mean he's not a grown man at all, he shouldn't understand the consequences of **** talking over the internet or just being a little flamer. You flame, you get flamed. That's how it is on the internet.

If you wanted some respect from your players back, be a man. Do something about the administration at NESL.

Chilipapa

07-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotMarcou View Post
I have reviewed some of the logged conversations from this weekend's North American Gamescom qualifier and had the chance to speak with a few parties involved in the heated dialogues that have been posted. I will continue to review this situation, but I wanted to share some of my thoughts.

Clearly there are heated statements from both players and the tournament administrators at the NESL. None of these statements are particularly mature and in fact they detract from the amazing competition that went on this weekend. They put an unnecessary tarnish on what should be a great start to the first Intel Extreme Masters tournament of the year.

Words between players and tournament officials can often get heated where there are big prizes at stake. This certainly isn't the first time this has happen in eSports and it certainly won't be the last. What I hope that the players and tournament officials will take away here is that they both made some mistakes in how they conducted themselves. I hope these mistakes won't be repeated.

My advice to tournament officials, which I post on this forum and will also deliver to them in a conversation: Keep you opinions and personal criticisms of players out of public forums.

I know firsthand how difficult it can to be a volunteer referee. You often deal with aggressive and difficult personalities and you do it for the love of the game and b/c you want to contribute something to your community. I work with the NESL on a weekly basis and they are a group of really passionate and helpful guys.

With that said, as a referee there is a responsibility to be fair, knowledgeable, and even tempered. It's not easy to do, but it's completely necessary. The best referees that I know continue to earn the respect of the players they work with because of these qualities and week after week they are successful in dealing with contentious situations.

My advice to the players. I understand that you want to see fair officiating and unbiased administrators as well especially when you have weeks worth of practice on the line. You absolutely DESERVE it. But you don't do yourselves any favors when you copy logs of tense conversations and post them up for the world to see (and with the expectations that your fans will take up your cause).

You too need to understand your relationships with tournament officials. If you want them to respect you and continue to do their jobs in a fair, then don't give them the opportunity to write off your attitude. The officials are there to keep order and yes that does mean that they can regulate you for your attitudes as well.

If you disagree with a call, then take it up respectfully with the head of league operations. If you still have an issue, then please understand that the eSports staff here at Riot does pay attention to these incidents and it's our job to improve the competitive standard.

Writing a calm and objective email to me goes a lot further than making me comb through forum logs and forum hearsay.

In addition to mediating some attitudes, there's more that we at Riot Games can do here for our competitive scene. At the Season One Championship, we used a really nice 3 ban draft mode that had modified timers to better accommodate a professional level of play by automating the pick and ban process. These features will continue to be introduced into the tournament realm and some will make it into the live service as well so that the quality of service will increase for both professional and community tournaments.

One of the problems is the definition of volunteer. The nESL admins and casters are doing "bad things". I used to be a volunteer DCA judge, for the love of the game. When a player insulted me, I simply asked them to stop and consider. I did it for the love of the game, and in the end the player/spectators are the important ones. LOVE OF THE GAME. nESL needs to remember that the players are the entertainers, not the judges, nor the commentators.

1)Admins:UNprofessional. Never personally attack, never pull rank for personal reasons(i.e. they aren't respecting me), always remain aloof. NO MATTER WHAT. Period. Dot. End of line. If this isn't the case, then fired. There is no question of blame. FIRED.

2)Commentators:Not sure why they didn't understand the flashing on the fountain deal. The pros thought someone tried to type and burned a flash. Chick Hearn never jumped onto the court during a game, grabbed the ball, and shot a 3. He commentated from the sidelines and tried not to distract the players. I actually want the guys from the teams doing commentary, because they have a better idea of what is going on than the nESL guys, due to the fact that they play in these games and against the very same people. The only diff between HSGG playing in a tourney and commentating a tourney is that commentating he's not busy doing his job and he's free to spill all the dirty secrets of how to play top tier. His predictions on what people will do in the next 10 seconds are ALOT more accurate, because he makes these predictions while playing constantly, against the very same people he's commenting on. He's a jerk too, but he's not an admin so GG. I honestly believe that guys like CLG, TSM, uR, etc love the game more than many on the nESL crew, but are under no obligation to behave professionally(they are more often than not decent sportmen, but they're not umpires/referees)

3)Volunteering to work for free sets your worth. Work up to a real value from there. Interns aren't respected just for going to work for free. They have to do something, and do it well. Maybe you get paid later if you do good work.

TL;DR:nESL admins/commentators are there to provide the framework for their tourneys. They are individually nothing. If they don't like being faceless, the only acceptable route is through excellence, not insults and trolling. They should aspire towards the same standards as respected refs/umpires/sportscasters, not the cult of personality players work through.

OmniChaos

07-18-2011

I love how they moved this thread to competitive discussion where no one looks (compared to general). Especially love the fact that this is the only one that gets moved when about a quarter of the threads in general discussion are about competitive LoL during and after events and even Red casters have their competitive discussion threads in general. This is almost worse than closing it.

This definitely is not the first case of where NESL admins have acted unprofessionally. This has been the case to many players, competitive or not. What's sad is that nothing continues to be done about it and acts are being done, unconsciously or not, to hide the administrator's actions which is equivalent to taking their side on their case. What logic is there in not being able to repeat a conversation you had with someone just because it makes them look bad? If they say something detrimental to their reputation that could be repeated, then they shouldn't have said it in the first place.

Also, the administrators have complained about not having enough help when I see no public attempt from them to recruit, and the only time they've said that they've been spread thin is from a private conversation. You could say that they're trying to find administrators off of reputation alone, but I bet no one has even heard of these people before NESL and a bigger portion haven't even heard of them before today. And obviously, if they were trying to find administrators based off of reputation, it's not working.

And for those excusing their actions based off of the fact that they're volunteering: if you can't handle the pressure, don't volunteer in the first place, plain and simple. I'd rather they not administrate at all than freak out on every other person they talk to.