Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The Unrealized GOLDMINE that is Co-Op/PvE

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cambios

Senior Recruiter

07-17-2011

I realize the meat and potatoes, heart and soul of LoL is PvP gameplay. I stipulate and acknowledge that up front.

With that said, I believe there is a lot more potential in the co-op/bots/PvE side of the game than many people realize.

There are many reasons people like to play co-op or custom against bots:

1) Community. Lets face it... LoL doesn't really have a great community for the most part. A huge percentage of people you play with randomly have utterly horrible attitudes, are hateful, spiteful, mean spirited, jerks. A lot of people have zero interest in subjecting themselves to the kind of abuse they will either witness or be the target of in games with/against real people.

2) Challenge. Many people honestly cannot handle the challenge of the PvP side of the game, and probably never will be able to.

3) More Room for Experimentation and Variety: Largely because of #1 and #2, daring to experiment with radical champ concepts or team builds is ill advised.

4) General Dislike of PvP: There is a reason why the majority of computer games pit humans vs. computers, or even teams of humans vs. computers. A lot of people simply do not enjoy playing against or beating other people, but they really enjoy playing WITH other people.

5) Families: Gaming is becoming a family activity now that rivals movie watching. The idea of playing LoL as a family against a team of random people is horrifying. For example:

My wife and I have been playing "real LoL" since beta. We enjoy "real games" and still play them on occasion. But for the last few months, we started playing co-op LoL with our kids, and it has been a great family entertainment experience.

We play 4 on 5 co-op, getting a friend to be the 5th temporary person on our team who just quits out to leave us to our fun.

4 on 5 co-op intermediate, when 2 of the 4 are a 5 and 9 year old kid is actually a lot more challenging and fun than many of you might imagine.

===================================

So, given all the above, here are a few things I'd like to see changed about the co-op/PvE experience. Please feel free to add your own suggestions.

1) More Team Size/Difficulty Options: The ability to deliberately put yourself at a numerical disadvantage against the co-op bots. You should be allowed to play 1-4 v 5 if you want in order to make co-op more challenging. This way, families or groups of friends could set up co-op games without needing a temporary "filler."

Similarly, if you do this in custom games, only the team with the higher number of champions should get the 0 ip/xp penalty. You should never get a penalty for giving yourself MORE difficulty and challenge.

2) More Enemy Champ Variety: There appear to be about 10 different bots you can play against. It would be really great if this was increased to include more (if not most/ALL) the LoL champs.

3) Remove the Cap On # of Minutes That Are Rewarded: Co-Op games already get a penalty on ip/xp. That alone is all that is needed to differentiate co-op games from "real" PvP games. There is no reason to stop rewarding people who are having fun and playing LoL just because the way they enjoy the game is different than the primary PvP gameplay. It doesn't hurt anyone if there are people who NEVER play anything but custom/co-op. In fact, those kinds of less hardcore folks are very likely to be people who will happily buy RPs for skins, xp/ip boosts, etc. But you can't boost xp/ip when you're set to 0 due to the 180 minute per day max or whatever it is.

4) Bridge the Gap Between Co-Op and Custom: Either let people make custom games that use the co-op AI for a full bot team, or let people in Co-Op games fill their empty slots (only if they choose, see #1) with bots. Again, this gives people the ability to play ONLY with friends and family and not with random strangers.

5) More Difficulty Options or Settings: This could be another step up in difficulty (advanced) or maybe checkbox options for the various "cheats" the computer gets. The AI bots already get their items "for free", and they seem to get a variety of other benefits (faster respawn time, lower cooldowns on abilities and summoner spells, etc.). It would be neat if these could be made into a list of options people could use to deliberately make the game harder. With enough difficulty options, perhaps the 25% ip/xp penalty could be reduced to as far as 10 or 15%.

===================================

Once again, I understand that the core gameplay of LoL is the PvP normal/ranked. I participate in that part of the game and enjoy it.

But when I play with my family, there is just no way I'd be willing to let my kids experience the general LoL community, and yet we have a lot of fun playing together (and we've even bought RPs for our kids because they love the various skins).

I think there is a lot of potential income and customer growth for Riot here that can only benefit the community as a whole.

Thanks for reading,

Cardmaster

07-17-2011

AI has it's limits. People don't.

Frost Sovereign

07-17-2011

This game is not for you then. You talk about playing games as a family yet you're playing a community agressive PvP game.

Please leave if you can't handle the nature of the game, we will not be catering the game to your unrealistic wants.

There are many much more suitable games for the casual family out there, honestly you're making no sense talking about playing an online PvP game as a family if you're looking to have harmless fun.

Please don't be stupid and self-centered. I find that extremely arrogant for you to come in here and just because you don't like the competitive nature that is the core of this game, you think it should be catered around your particular lifestyle.

Pure PvP is what sets this game apart from the waste of life time sinks that are MMOs. Some people find harmless fun to be a waste of time and consider online competition to be an actual hobby.

Please consider other people.

ThePiper42

07-17-2011

^ Boring obvious troll.

Quote:
Williamwzl:

We are nowhere near AI limits yet.

Great post. I think this is a good idea but one Riot will likely keep on the backburners for a while behind their more important priorities.

Nammycakes

07-17-2011

I agree with this. Tons of fun can be had going against bots.

I often 2v5 bots in custom games to try out new champs. I can 1v5 too but that's actually pretty boring. 2v5 is fun though for you and a friend or you and a bot.

I wish we could do that with the Co-op vs AI bots though. Those bots can actually be a challenge. 2v5 of those harder AI would be amazing.

TiltedAxis

07-17-2011

-1 for pussies against competition.

Your the kind of guy who wants to give everyone a trophy JUST for participating, arent you?

Nammycakes

07-17-2011

Quote:
Williamwzl:

Riot demonstrated how crazy hard the AI can be with that Co-Op vs AI match they made famous. Yet, they haven't released that AI. They only released "intermediate" level AI.
Even though they already fully programmed the "Difficult" level AI, they refuse to release it for some reason :'(

Menthols

07-17-2011

I can 1v5 co-op vs ai bots, should i still play it?

DinerCar

07-17-2011

Casualizing LoL even harder?

I'm agreeing that PVE is a goldmine of fun and enjoyment.

That's basically what raiding in WoW is.

"Raids" in LoL? This is reminiscent of the million and a half other mods that there were for Warcraft 3... Anyone play Enfo's? That was fun. There were other RPG style mods, I think in like two years when LoL has gotten all of the PVP objectives done, then it can do some PVE jank going.

zGarchomp

07-17-2011

AI is a ****ing bad idea. The only way to make bots better is to give them an unfair advantage that isn't part of the game. Starting off with extra gold or programming them to ignore fog of war.