Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How does the Elo system work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Taronar

07-16-2011

OK so recently I've been playing a lot of ranked i was about 30 win-40 losses. i went up and am now about 48 wins-44 loses but i'm still just short of 1200. what doesn't make sense to me is why if your even in win loses do u lose elo so dramatically? I know that each game can give different amounts of Elo but this small amount of "RNG" shouldn't affect your total Elo SO dramatically.

Sailor Twift

07-16-2011

Your profile doesn't show any ranked history.

But, whether this anecdote is about you or a friend, the system can have a delayed response. I went from unranked, playing with 1100s to being 1430 the next day. Just play your games, try to win more than you try to get a good k/d ratio, and if you do well your elo will go up. Even if it takes a week to "recalculate" or however the process works.

Sailor Twift

07-16-2011

quick tip: become good with a tank, one that doesn't always get banned. every team needs a tank that's willing to risk his k/d ratio to initiate and win team fights, so become just as good at this as you are at playing a carry. you'll win more games

Taronar

07-17-2011

No guys listen its not a miscalculation and i'm not losing the point of this post is that, i'm a positive win/loss by about 4 wins above my losses and i still have less than starting Elo

Sailor Twift

07-17-2011

and how long has it been since you started getting good results in ranked?

all the same queue type, too? elo ranks solo queue, 5-man premade, and 3v3 separately

Taronar

07-17-2011

yeah im only counting my wins/losses in solo queue 5v5 which is now 50-45 but im still below starting elo

Afroman606

09-03-2011

well the more games u play, the harder it is to break even,

so it might me after 44 losses u mite need about plus 8 more wins to be positive

Dr Fuzzy Gloves

09-05-2011

Quote:
Taronar:
No guys listen its not a miscalculation and i'm not losing the point of this post is that, i'm a positive win/loss by about 4 wins above my losses and i still have less than starting Elo

the more games you play the less elo is gained/lost from matches

so where when you first started playing you were gaining/loosing about 30 or so elo, now that you have several games underway yoru gaining/loosing about 9-12 elo a game.

since you started out at 30-40 you lost larger chunks on your way down than you have gained on your way up a bit.

basically for the 10 games you lost more than won you lost about 15-18 elo a game, and your 8 games you went positive you only gained 9-12 per game, so your going to be short

i had the same thing happen to me. i'm +5 more than lost right now and i'm still only 1208 where as when i started at 0-0 i was 1200, the first 10 ranked games you play are very vital to give you starting position, if you can manage to pull out 7-3 or even 8-2 in your first 10 your going to be in the 1400-1500 depending on the elo of the players you beat in those games.

basically the more you play the less elo you gain/lose. that simple. must be an averaging algorithm in the elo system, as for exactly how elo is calculated i'm not sure. might be a riot post somewhere on the forums with that information.

42shadow42

Recruiter

09-06-2011

The elo system doesn't work entirely off of wins and losses it also takes into consideration the opponents, if you win against those of lower elo you go up but less than if you beat someone above you. Based on this it is possible not only to have what you are experience but less wins than losses and an elo greater than 1200

DevilOfTheDen

09-06-2011

is the 3v3 premade ranked elo influenced by 5v5 ranked solo que eo ?