[Guide] Suddenly...a WILD UDYR appeared!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Omesh

07-22-2011

Interesting (and enlightening) to see two really strong Udyr players take opposing stances on the Tiger/Phoenix issue-- seems like there's no real solid consensus as to which is better, with people like Stonewall favoring Phoenix and others favoring Tiger. It seems to me (as a non-Udyr player and someone who's never played a jungler) that Tiger clears the jungle slightly slower but ganks much better, and Phoenix clears the jungle slightly faster but doesn't gank quite as well-- is that about the size of it?

I'm saving my IP for Udyr. I've gone a few losses in a row to jungling Udyrs on the opposing team on Treeline, and I've got to say, he dominates in a way I've never seen from other junglers piloted by exceptional players. I think out of those combined losses, Udyr died maybe once. Suffice it to say, I'm really curious to give him, and jungling, a shot myself, since a good jungler on TT seems to benefit teams even more than it does on SR. (Though I could be wrong, as I play TT almost exclusively.)

I don't know how much you play Treeline, but I'm assuming that the best route to take would be to clear the minor monsters in the top jungle (beginning with the creeps on the opposing team's side) and then work down to the lower jungle, rinse, repeat, until Lizard can be taken and the two sub-buff guys (Wolf and Wraith) can be cleared in the top jungle. Any observations on how best to jungle Treeline?

I don't know that I have many more questions than that as present as this guide gives me plenty to chew over on my own, but thanks for posting all of this info. I hope to use it to sic some Wild Udyr on hapless opponents.

Eledhan

07-23-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omesh View Post
Interesting (and enlightening) to see two really strong Udyr players take opposing stances on the Tiger/Phoenix issue-- seems like there's no real solid consensus as to which is better, with people like Stonewall favoring Phoenix and others favoring Tiger. It seems to me (as a non-Udyr player and someone who's never played a jungler) that Tiger clears the jungle slightly slower but ganks much better, and Phoenix clears the jungle slightly faster but doesn't gank quite as well-- is that about the size of it?
That's not entirely true...

The biggest difference between the two is the flexibility Tiger stance gains due to not having to put an early point into Phoenix, allowing you to figure out whether you need more damage, defense, or speed on your first gank.

Also, late game, Phoenix will probably deal more and take more damage on the front lines, whereas Tiger will be better suited for focusing down squishies.

This is primarily due to the items purchased in each build (AD for Tiger, Madred's for Phoenix)

Quote:
I'm saving my IP for Udyr. I've gone a few losses in a row to jungling Udyrs on the opposing team on Treeline, and I've got to say, he dominates in a way I've never seen from other junglers piloted by exceptional players. I think out of those combined losses, Udyr died maybe once. Suffice it to say, I'm really curious to give him, and jungling, a shot myself, since a good jungler on TT seems to benefit teams even more than it does on SR. (Though I could be wrong, as I play TT almost exclusively.)
I'm not that experienced with TT, and I've NEVER jungled on that map. I might give it a whirl, but it seems to me that a dedicated jungler is just more of a liability than a benefit, but what do I know? I've played maybe 25 total games on TT.

Quote:
I don't know how much you play Treeline, but I'm assuming that the best route to take would be to clear the minor monsters in the top jungle (beginning with the creeps on the opposing team's side) and then work down to the lower jungle, rinse, repeat, until Lizard can be taken and the two sub-buff guys (Wolf and Wraith) can be cleared in the top jungle. Any observations on how best to jungle Treeline?
I haven't a clue. Sorry! I'm just not a fan of TT because the ability for just ONE person playing poorly in ONE fight will lose you the game...SR isn't that un-forgiving, and doesn't force me to lose because of one person's mistakes, which is why I play SR almost exclusively.

Quote:
I don't know that I have many more questions than that as present as this guide gives me plenty to chew over on my own, but thanks for posting all of this info. I hope to use it to sic some Wild Udyr on hapless opponents.
Well, although the jungling aspects may not be the same, the item builds, runes and masteries, and late game concepts should all be the same. Hope it helps!

Eledhan

07-26-2011

Update

Patch v1.0.0.122 has brought a couple of changes to Udyr that affect this guide. Please bear with me as I determine the best way to address these changes.

iwannatwirrl

07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eledhan View Post
Update

Patch v1.0.0.122 has brought a couple of changes to Udyr that affect this guide. Please bear with me as I determine the best way to address these changes.
ba dum, tsssh

Eledhan

07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannatwirrl View Post
ba dum, tsssh
LOL!

I noticed it after I posted it...figured I'd wait and see if anyone else picked up on it...completely coincidental...

Honest!

RoCCocheLLo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2011

Udyr's Fan Number 1: Eledhan

Eledhan

07-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCCocheLLo View Post
Udyr's Fan Number 1: Eledhan
I dunno about that, but I agree with the principle behind it!

Just so everyone knows, I'll be getting to updating this guide as soon as I can. Finals week for summer semester and budget season for work is just BRUTAL...

RoCCocheLLo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-26-2011

I think you should be rewarded for doing this guide, I really do.
I dont have the IP to buy Udyr, yet I have read this guide entirely and understood the champion very well, plus you keep updating the guide asap and have dedicate hours to it. Your guide has made me want to buy Udyr and pwn everyone.

Congratulations

Eledhan

07-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoCCocheLLo View Post
I think you should be rewarded for doing this guide, I really do.
I dont have the IP to buy Udyr, yet I have read this guide entirely and understood the champion very well, plus you keep updating the guide asap and have dedicate hours to it. Your guide has made me want to buy Udyr and pwn everyone.

Congratulations
Why thank you!

If you enjoyed this format, you should check out my Ashe and Vayne guides, which are linked at the bottom of the 4th post.

It takes a while to learn the jungling concepts, but once you do, using Udyr to dominate is tons of fun!

Unfortunately, you will find that 9 times out of 10, you will be on a team with players who simply do not understand how to setup ganks for you, and therefore, will be blamed for the failure of your entire team...just remember to stick with it. Jungling is a rough, under-appreciated, highly valuable role that is very rewarding....WITH THE RIGHT MINDSET!!!

Best of luck to you in your WILD adventures!

Eledhan

07-27-2011

Update

Guide now updated as of patch v1.0.0.122