ZAM.com - League of Legends: What Happens when DotA Grows Up

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pendragon

Director of Player Experience

Follow RiotPendragon on Twitter

09-06-2009
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Every now and then there are games that come along in the industry that, by simply existing, manage to completely stretch, shake and re-define their genre. In this regard, there are games, like Metal Gear, that start as the launch point of an entirely new genre (stealth action shooters) or there are games, like Counter-Strike or World of Warcraft, that pack together many pre-existing ideas, but also manage to elevate and polish these concepts into something altogether remarkable.
http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=19560

UraharaZR

09-06-2009

Yay!
And lol for "dropping massive flaming teddy bear golems on her unsuspecting foes."

Stealthippo

09-06-2009

ZAM writing a very nice review on LoL, was this also part of the ZAM vs RIOT game bet?
haha I joke.

Prime

09-06-2009

why do the screenshots never give justice to how good the game actually looks? When was this written btw? It says that flash is unlocked at level 13, but it's been level 4 since before this last patch.. so this review is old?

Great review though, exactly what me and brother think, LoL is a much more advanced DotA

Omnipotent

09-06-2009

Awesome review; that review seriously explains what DoTA was all about and what MoBA aims for in the long run, more like a tutorial to this genre.

I loved it whole heartily...

However, and please bare with me here; one thing I disliked - and perhaps I should not have come here and raised the matter - is the fact that 'Eul' was mentioned as the father of 'push-lanes-destroy-enemy-base' ala MoBA and then 'Guinsoo' taking over; but it just stopped there. The review went on stating how popular DoTA is and how millions of people play it yada yada yada, and not a single piece of information awarding some credit to 'Icefrog', credit that is well earned in my humble opinion; that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes Eul was the father, and yes Guinsoo perfected Eul's idea and really introduced MoBA(s) genre and most of the aspects that come with 'push your lanes' mods / DoTA-wannabe games / maps. Icefrog too maintained the game and added onto the genre or improved onto it (some people might disagree to the 'improvements' notion - but numbers and influx of players are by my side even though it was inevitable that only more players will jump on the MoBA-Bandwagon whether Icefrog improved/changed on it or left it as it is). He did well, and while he was at it, the community kept on growing. Now I know DoTA-Allstars.com was one of the corner stones for the expansion and exploding influx onto the DoTA community, thanks to Pendragon, but one would wonder if DoTA-Allstars would exist if the mod was abandoned upon Guinsoo's departure.

Hopefully, my comments here did not hurt anyone's feelings, since I am well aware that there are some bitter feelings and perhaps the wounds did not heal after a solid 3-4 years relationship with so and so ... My intentions are pure and not get back at anyone, I love everyone equally, much more biased towards Riot staff (specifically Pendragon & Guinsoo) more than who or what deserves credit. But I believe in fairness, I am also quite certain that Riot's principles and values would attest to what I am saying here and what should be done.

I wish Zam would edit this article and give the fellow some credit, I am hoping Riot would at least have some sort of influence on what Zam posted.

Kogue

09-06-2009

Amazing Article

Sazabi02

09-06-2009

Cool! I hope LoL gets more publicity soon. It seriously deserves some. The game owns HoN in so many ways but HoN still gets a lot of publicity that LoL doesn't have yet. Here's to hoping that more articles in the future would push people to be more interested in a new innovation in LoL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnipotent View Post
However, and please bare with me here; one thing I disliked - and perhaps I should not have come here and raised the matter - is the fact that 'Eul' was mentioned as the father of 'push-lanes-destroy-enemy-base' ala MoBA and then 'Guinsoo' taking over; but it just stopped there. The review went on stating how popular DoTA is and how millions of people play it yada yada yada, and not a single piece of information awarding some credit to 'Icefrog', credit that is well earned in my humble opinion; that left a bad taste in my mouth.

Yes Eul was the father, and yes Guinsoo perfected Eul's idea and really introduced MoBA(s) genre and most of the aspects that come with 'push your lanes' mods / DoTA-wannabe games / maps. Icefrog too maintained the game and added onto the genre or improved onto it (some people might disagree to the 'improvements' notion - but numbers and influx of players are by my side even though it was inevitable that only more players will jump on the MoBA-Bandwagon whether Icefrog improved/changed on it or left it as it is). He did well, and while he was at it, the community kept on growing. Now I know DoTA-Allstars.com was one of the corner stones for the expansion and exploding influx onto the DoTA community, thanks to Pendragon, but one would wonder if DoTA-Allstars would exist if the mod was abandoned upon Guinsoo's departure.

Hopefully, my comments here did not hurt anyone's feelings, since I am well aware that there are some bitter feelings and perhaps the wounds did not heal after a solid 3-4 years relationship with so and so ... My intentions are pure and not get back at anyone, I love everyone equally, much more biased towards Riot staff (specifically Pendragon & Guinsoo) more than who or what deserves credit. But I believe in fairness, I am also quite certain that Riot's principles and values would attest to what I am saying here and what should be done.

I wish Zam would edit this article and give the fellow some credit, I am hoping Riot would at least have some sort of influence on what Zam posted.
I agree. I don't want to get on the wrong side of anyone here either but shouldn't Ice get at least some of the credit?
I recall a postmortem in Gamasutra published before which had the same effect on some of the commenters (I initially had the same reaction) but I understood Pendragon when he explained that Icefrog's DotA wasn't finished yet and therefore not eligible for a postmortem and besides it was Guinsoo's DotA that he was talking about at that time. This is different though. The present DotA, while I keep reminding friends that LoL-affiliated Guinsoo was the brains behind it's early days, still owes a lot of it's progress to Ice's hard work. A small mention of him in future articles could do his work justice.

Lord Loss

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2009

Very good review. After a few more fixes and some additions this game should be more popular than DOTA, though im sure DOTA is gonna be standing proud for a long time.

HappyNihil

09-06-2009

And once again the screenshots used are from previous version of graphics.. :d
Just show them how the game actually looks now.. .d

Also agreed on Icefrog.
And no, LoL is not what happens when DotA grows up, HoN is what happens when DotA grows up, LoL is a different game altogether, just same genre.

edit after reading the whole article:
Kudos for your PR work, but this is no preview, itīs just some guy repeating what was said to him. Pure marketing talk.

Ethernal

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2009

Hail TO the great riot people who bring us lol =)