Playing LoL off of a flash drive?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fydorian

04-19-2010

So here's the deal. In class, I usually have a break period with access to computers and no supervision . However, considering that they are school computers, I don't have admin access with them, so I'm locked out of installing programs etc. However, I've found that simply copying my WCIII folder to my flash drive allows me to get around the admin restriction and still play DotA (quite nicely in fact, as my dino comp runs DotA poorly and I can't even consider playing HoN or LoL on my comp). They run XP by the way, and so do I.

I have tried this with HoN however to no avail; I assume some important file is installed directly into the computer or the registry or something that prevents it from being played via flash drive.

So my question is, will I be able to play LoL straight off of my flash drive on a computer with which I don't have admin access if I simply copy and paste the riot folder into my flash drive? If not, could someone please advise (I'm going to try anyway, but it would be nice to know in advance)?

Thanks for the help,
Fydorian

Pilliy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2010

Well at the moment, I'm running LoL off an old harddrive. The copy isn't installed, nor does it have registry files added. I assume that this would work the game way off a flash drive

Fydorian

04-19-2010

Considering that LoL doesn't actually work on my comp, I'm testing it on my computer by uninstalling it and seeing if it will run off of the flash drive after the purge.

Fydorian

04-19-2010

It seemed to work fine. I guess this thread can be closed or whatever unless someone else wants to have input.

NHS Grim

04-20-2010

Have you been able to physically play the game while running it off a flash drive?

I've tried on three separate computers with half success. I am able to startup the game and all until after the Champion select screen. It just exits out (where it should be telling me players ping and such) and leaves me at the desktop.

This is how it is on the three computers (One is a below minimum requirement comp, ones a mid-dollar laptop, and the other is my supercomputer/gaming desktop)

On a side note: once I physically downloaded it to the harddrive, the game starts up and plays fine (Minus some problem about randomly disconnecting with great connectivity on the laptop without being able to reconnect).
All three computers have Windows 7. Any thoughts? (Thanks in advance)

NHS Grim

04-26-2010

Bump...

Playing while on the harddrive: All 3 computers play it perfectly fine.
Playing on a flash drive: Exits after Champion Select Screen.

Anyone having the same problem?

Quaternion

04-26-2010

It might depend some on the speed of the flash drive and the speed of the USB port. If you try to use it on a USB 1.1 port, then trying to load files at a little over 1 MB/s for sequential read speeds means it wlll take at least several minutes to load a game, and possibly quite a bit longer. That's not going to work very well. In a USB 2.0 port, it might be possible to make it work.

ChrIsAStud

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-19-2010

ive been testing this out and i have the same problem where it exits after champion select. The reason its not working is if you go into the "league of legends" folder and then into the "game" folder there is an icon that looks like the league of legends launcher. That icon is the actual game. If you open that it will either pop up with an error screen about missing a file-or-if you have it installed it will pop up with the league of legends icon that always shows up before a game starts. The only way i have figured out how to get past this is to have an League of legends installer. Install it then just use your flashdrive so you dont have to go through all the updates

Curio Shop

08-10-2011

instead of trying to copy the files to a usb and hooking into a USB port alternativley you can copy all the files onto a blank cd or dvd and use that like a usb. also you will find more positive results if you install the game from your cd/dvd/flashdrive and then launch as you are still avoiding the collossal download. to my knowledge this method works fine. its possible on all OS's XP or forward

Cybroxis