How exactly does armor work?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Snazzy Pants

04-19-2010

How much damage does 1 point of armor prevent? Theoretically speaking, and ignoring armor penetration or any other mediating effects. Along the same lines, I tend to prefer raw health to armor - is that a bad idea?

Peach Plum Pair

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2010

Okay, you know how your head is soft?

If you put a helmet on (AKA head-armor) it will protect your soft head from all those hard blows.

Mercurius

04-19-2010

1 armor = it takes 1% more physical damage to kill you.
Stacking MR or health is better because most of the damage you'll be taking will be magic either from nukes or currently OP aoe splash due to excessive AP scaling.
An exception would be malphite since armor contributes to his AoE damage.

This is why armor penetration and magic penetration/reduction greatly outperform damage and AP respectively, as those stats are essentially +% damage done.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

04-19-2010

Armor will increase your effective hit points against physical damage by 1% per point you possess.
MR will do the same for Magic damage

(Example: You have 100 points of armor, and 2000 HP. As a result, if an enemy tries to autoattack you to death, it would be as if you had NO armor, and 4000 HP)

As a result, generally a combination of the two is best.

Snazzy Pants

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzakuCMX View Post
Okay, you know how your head is soft?

If you put a helmet on (AKA head-armor) it will protect your soft head from all those hard blows.
That'd be a lot more funny if I hadn't clearly elaborated on the question and related it to LoL. A+ for effort, D- for implementation.

neolithe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-19-2010

Health is a bad idea when they get smart and start using madreds blood razor. Armor is a % when you mouse over it, it also depends on the other guys armor reduction/armor pen stuff.

Ti 84 Plus

04-19-2010

X / (X+100) = the percentage of damage reduced.

X = armor.

Peach Plum Pair

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy Pants View Post
That'd be a lot more funny if I hadn't clearly elaborated on the question and related it to LoL. A+ for effort, D- for implementation.
Right back at you for an unwitty retort.

Snazzy Pants

04-19-2010

Armor seems a lot more useful in LoL than most other games. Thanks for the detailed response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzakuCMX View Post
Right back at you for an unwitty retort.
Wit is in the eye of the beholder, and my comment doesn't have a -2. EDIT: and growing

Peach Plum Pair

04-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy Pants View Post
Armor seems a lot more useful in LoL than most other games. Thanks for the detailed response!

Wit is in the eye of the beholder, and my comment doesn't have a -2. EDIT: and growing
And mine doesn't have hypocrisy.