Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Help, can't figure out Anivia...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GeneralStan

07-13-2011

As others have said, Anivia is all about landing her double damage spells. Both Q and E are capable of dealing double damage and scale at 1:1 AP when they get that double hit.

Pre-6, you have to rely on hitting the Q in order to get the double damage with E (unless your opponent walks right up to you, you're not going to double hit the Q in lane, probably). After 6, you should aim to sit them in the middle of your ult, then hit E. If they stick around in the slow, you can then aim the Q much easier and E should be off cooldown, so you can hit it again. If you can hit REQE, you've just killed somebody, almost every time. Seriously, anivia's double hits are devastating.

As said before, don't run clarity or feel like you need to build a tear. Full mana yellows+blues, open catalyst, use spells to harass only until you have a mana pool. You should pretty much try to hold the blue buff as much as you can.

As far as the wall goes, its probably her most powerful ability when employed right. It takes a lot of practice. One tip I have is to put a wall in front of a champion who is running away. You then aim a Q at the open end of the wall that they will have to run around to get away. Its a good way to land a double-Q and stun for the kill

Etherimp

07-13-2011

If you think Anivia lacks burst damage you're doing something wrong.

You do know that hitting Q, firing a Frost Bolt, then hitting Q again will detonate that same bolt, correct? I didn't know this the first few times I played Anivia and it made landing her stun very difficult (Because you'd have to do it at max range.)

Also, it's possible to hit someone 3 times with FrostBolt if they are running away from you. Once intitially, then again as it travels through them, then again when you detonate it infront of them, stunning them... Then hit with E, Ultimate, Wall, E again. All combined this is a massive amount of damage. Of course, you aren't going to be pulling combos like that your first few times playing her or even all the time when you ARE good with her. It's just a matter of practice. If you want someone where you can smash all of your keys at once and lock someone down and kill them play Malzahar. Anivia takes actual skill, which is uncommon among LoL champions.

Also, make sure you have Magic Penetration and run 9/0/21 Masteries. I would recommend a build similar to this:

Boots + 3 Mana pots
Catalyst The Protector
Sorc Shoes
Mejai's
Rod of Ages
Deathcap

Last 2 items depend upon the game and your playstyle, but Void Staff, Abyssal Scepter, Banshees Veil, Morellos, another Deathcap, or even Warmogs are all reasonable choices.

As said above, MRegen per level runes are optimal, along with MPen reds and either AP or MPen Quints. (Movespeed or HP quints are also decent choices.)

Ronnyfire

07-13-2011

I main Anivia and i p much always start out with chalice, then grab a tear going into archangels, her damage is beyond amazing if you hit her stun right, seeing as she gets .5 AP ratio on her Q and E and they both can do double damage with a bit of skill (more skill on the Q obviously), and the Ult does amazing damage once you can sustain it.

Unless you get in many jungle fights pre level 13, its almost always better to not get wall until then, you get a TON of extra damage if you just max Q and E fast, with ult where you can.

Remember to harass with R + E quick taps and you will get them to kill-able health in no time

Also remember if you can to initiate with R+ E, then Q them for a stun and you can E them a 2nd time by the time the stun wears off, its amazing burst dps, and you can back out of the fight at that point with a stunned, slowed enemy and no damage taken aside from maybe 1-2 hits if you are slow and they are ranged

Almost never take blue unless its late game or a team has no jungle for whatever reason.

bladezofdestiny

07-13-2011

For the Mana problem buy tear of Goddess and then build Manamune.

Effects +350 Mana
+7 Mana Regen/5 sec
+20 Attack Damage
Passive UNIQUE: 2% of your maximum mana is converted to attack damage.
UNIQUE: Each time you attack, you gain one maximum mana (3 second cooldown). Each time you use an ability, you gain four maximum mana (3 second cooldown). Bonus caps at 1000 mana

When your mana Dries use Clarity to make it full again

dovvntempo

07-13-2011

Anivia is very practical, and a great asset to a team if played well. The main thing you gotta learn is how to predict enemy movement / position well / zone out the enemy. Your Q, E burst is HIGH. and come level 3 people are gonna think twice about exchanging nukes with her, as Anivia packs a punch very early.

The key to landing Q though is by being close enough to the enemy. If you're too far two bad things can happen. 1) They see it, simply dodge it. 2) They get hit, but because you are too far away you cannot get close enough to them to land your E. To prevent situation 2, you have to move toward the enemy immediately after casting Q. You have to KNOW Q will hit. You land that, and attack 1-2 times and they will not forget the exchange.

Anivia does well against champions that have to be close to damage, simply because her burst > theirs. Notable exceptions are those champions that can bypass the stun on your Q, like Jax. Or Xin...

keep at it, Anivia is strong. look up Imasock on youtube.

LightToasted

07-14-2011

i find tear too much of an investment to buy, sure anivias early game burst is fine, but come late game, you need extra hp from RoA or survivability from banshees depending on the enemy team comp. If you manage your mana properly laning is fine. I do run teleport as well, because anivia is a great surprise ganker, and less time wasted waking back to shop is more stuff farmed. Once you enter teamfight phase and start pushing, usually the jungle lets me take blue, even if it ammu, at that point, not too many characters have as much a use for cd reduction and mana regen as anivia. (faster walls stuns ultimate anyone?)

I dont normally rush rod, grabbing a NLR before i actually complete my ROA, though it depends on the enemy team, if they are doing a lot of dmg to you, the extra HP from RoA may help that. Or if its their AP carries that are owning you, a banshees may help. Catalyst is infinitely better than tear.

Catalyst lets you outlane and zone opponents due to hp advantage and mana adv and gain every level, and also allows you to survive big combo bursts, the like which you normally see from a level 6 annie.or malzahar.also more hp = more egg hp.

I usually start mana crystal opting for a less aggressive start, farming, and if the enemy is aggressive i punish them for it with my q.

I run Move speed quints as opposed to hp. So while i do start with relatively low hp, the move quints give me a big advantage in landing a followup E after i land a q. Also allows you to dodge skillshots like crazy, since anivia is already quite fast. (just laned a against a super aggressive karthus 2 games ago, he ran clarity and kept trying to get me instead of landing last hits. I just flew around his bombs, he landed maybe 5 total before level 6, and I just used my pots, out farmed him, and killed him when i saw an opening around level 7.)

once anivia is level 2, it is incredibly easy to punish people for going in for a last hit, just watch them walk up, anticipate where they will be, and q + e combo.

Happy hunting!

dovvntempo

07-14-2011

^ ^ agreed. Though I tell ya what, a Karthus running clarity is a red flag to me that he sucks.