Help, can't figure out Anivia...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IS1c5019c283e69d4080426

07-13-2011

Just bought her, on my quest to try out all of the hardest champions in the game.

Funnily enough, even though I've mastered Cassiopeia's skillset, and am pretty far into understanding Orianna and Janna, I simply cannot use Anivia's skills.

All of her kit just seems too impractical for me, and for all the work you have to put in to use all of them efficiently, she doesn't really have all that much damage, WITHOUT being fed.
She's also INCREDIBLY mana inefficient, forcing me to ask for blue from my jungler or take clarity.

Maybe she really WAS one of the most powerful mages in the game at some point, but what with the Annie buff, and the introduction of Rumble, and even Brand, she seems pretty impractical to me.

Please give me some tips, cause I sure regret the 6300 ip i spent on her at this point.

Killer10347

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-13-2011

Well for one, you really have to practice hitting her flash frost both as the slow and as the stun. If you can do that, harassing is easy. Just max e after 1st point in q. Thats what I do, anyway. To solve the mana issue, go for an early catalyst. She's still quite a nice mage, full of utility. Her ult makes her perfect for farming minions and preventing pushes.

What I generally do is either 1. use flashfrost when enemy is mid-close range to me so it has an almost 100% chance of at least hitting once.
2. When at far range, shoot it just slightly behind them (closer to the side of their turret). Mind you, it should still be able to hit them if they don't move at all. But needs to be aimed just a little behind them (where they would probably try to strafe from it). obviously, no need to use e when enemy didn't get hit by Q or R. Past the first 15 minutes, you should at least 50% of the time, take the blue golem on your side. Warding enemy blue and stealing it helps greatly, as anivea is great at surprise attacks in this area. The fact that her q at lv1 is an aoe stun also makes her a very powerful choice, should you decide on a lv1 gank on blue golem or bot lane, as likely, the enemy might enter your side of the bushes in hope for their own gank. That's all I can really give u tips on. Go with 10 mgcpen from runes+sorcerors shoes, upgrading them on your 2nd trip back, assuming you got catalyst+lv1 boots on first shop.

tumultuoustempus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-13-2011

You're probably right that she's a bit outdated, although she is still quite powerful.

My basic suggestions are:

-Take mid lane.
-Ask your jungler for blue ASAP. If your jungler is heavily reliant on blue (Amumu, Fiddlesticks, etc), I would NOT play Anivia that game.
-Practice last hitting with your autoattack and just farm until 6.
-At 6 and beyond, farm, farm farm farm. You can also start harrassing by dropping your ult on them then using a quick E.

Anivia is all about farming. This can be quite boring until late game, but that's pretty much how it goes.

Sir Toastsalot

07-13-2011

Honestly I found the best way to counter the mana problem with anivia is to get tear of the godess. Cause every time you activate and deactivate your ult it gives you the passive on the tear and same with her flash frost. I personally maz flash frost first because with skill you can hit a champion twice with one spell on it. A lot of it comes down to the timing on the flash frost and being able to hit the enemy. The other thing many Anvia players do not know is that you can hit your q again after casting it to cause the flash frost to detonate early.

mingoooo

07-13-2011

As a player who mains Anivia, I advise AGAINST getting Tear/Archangel. Sure blue buff is also nice, and while you SHOULD have it on you whenever possible, it's not a necessity. Oh, and don't get Clarity.

For Glyphs/Seals, get MP5/lvl runes. They solve all your mana regen needs (eliminates the need for Tear), as long as you don't stupidly over-spam your spells. I always start with boots + 3 potions and have absolutely ZERO mana problems (I only use spells to harrass, last-hitting is a second-nature for me with Anivia).

Key to playing Anivia is positioning, and managing your mana. Like someone said above, take mid, last hit minions, and practice landing your Q's. That enemy Annie likes to hang back and step in to Q for last hit on a minion? Fire your Q as soon as you see her step in.

Hurr1cane

07-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingoooo View Post
As a player who mains Anivia, I advise AGAINST getting Tear/Archangel. Sure blue buff is also nice, and while you SHOULD have it on you whenever possible, it's not a necessity. Oh, and don't get Clarity.

For Glyphs/Seals, get MP5/lvl runes. They solve all your mana regen needs (eliminates the need for Tear), as long as you don't stupidly over-spam your spells. I always start with boots + 3 potions and have absolutely ZERO mana problems (I only use spells to harrass, last-hitting is a second-nature for me with Anivia).

Key to playing Anivia is positioning, and managing your mana. Like someone said above, take mid, last hit minions, and practice landing your Q's. That enemy Annie likes to hang back and step in to Q for last hit on a minion? Fire your Q as soon as you see her step in.
I also play a lot of Anivia and I find Tear/Archangel absolutely a necessity.

I run Mag Pen Marks, Mana Regen Seals and Cooldown Glyphs and I use 3 Health Quints.

I like to build Blue/Tear/Archangel, Sorc Shoes, Rod of Ages or Rabadon's. Beyond that I'll buy other stuff situationally.

I find that I have to be incredibly disciplined in how I use my spells at the start of the game, and often I can find myself being pushed back out of the lane by other champs that can kill groups faster than I can before I get my ult (cait or Miss Fortune).

Up until recently I've levelled up my Q first, followed by my E but I think that I might be able to kill faster by putting one point into Q and then levelling E first for the 'killshot'.

The absolute key to killing with Anivia is getting the double-damage multiplier on your spell effects when you hit targets that are 'chilled'. That means anyone that has been hit by your Q, or anyone affected inside your ult area of effect.

The best technique that I find is to swoop in towards an opponent, drop an Ignite on them and rapidly fire my Q and then E spells in quick succession. Follow up with auto-attacks and drop your ult over the area, and then follow up with more E and Q when possible.

One other important note about your Q - the key to getting the stun effect is to let the shot pass a little bit past the target you want to hit before you explode it. I often found myself missing champs because I would detonate the shot too early, but that tip made me a lot more effective.

The thing to remember is that in a one-on-one fight you have your egg. This will mean that even if your opponent disables you, if you kill them you can still flap away from the fight.

The egg can also mean the absolute difference when you're defending a tower and you're within the firing range of the turret - I've often had enemies dive me and we trade hits - i egg and the turret can often finish them off, especially if I can land my Q on them on the way in (or out).

Your wall and your ult are also amazing area control spells. Often just the presence of Anivia alone in mid can be enough to stall a team push, because the enemies know that you have the ability to lock off the entire lane with the wall and the circle, leaving them unable to move forward or be slowed and risk double damage.

Using the wall effectively takes tons of practice. The key is not being afraid to try it. I guarantee that you will get in your team's way a bunch of times, but once you get confident with it you can genuinely surprise enemies with all sorts of classy plays.

Anivia is very difficult because she's so fragile. Engaging in a fight with her needs to be a deliberate choice, not a rash decision. But if you can learn to play carefully and 'keep cool' then you can make her work for you.

I hope this helps.

BarrSupport

07-13-2011

Anivia is neither weak nor difficult.
You aren't going to play every champ well

This is what i read

"I couldnt get good score on my first few games as a new champ so she must be weaker than the other mages."

Play her more and you will easily learn it on your own.

Hurr1cane

07-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaguardian View Post
Anivia is neither weak nor difficult.
You aren't going to play every champ well

This is what i read

"I couldnt get good score on my first few games as a new champ so she must be weaker than the other mages."

Play her more and you will easily learn it on your own.
Terrific response in the Guides and Strategy section.

</irony>

Suzunoo

07-13-2011

Q-E-E-Q-E-R-E-Q-E-Q-R-Q-W-W-W-R-W-W

I dont take wall early game because it's tiny. Ult-Wall Behind them, Q, E. Or just plain Q-E-R-E, They will drop if they don't have much MR.

natcfierce

07-13-2011

You just need to practice with her a lot. I main her and have used her to great success including beating a vayne in kills one time. She has a massive damage output if built right and can be the one who carries the entire team to victory sherely based on her ult and how people focus her. Build her with archangel's staff, chalice and deathfire grasp to start off so that you can keep your ult down for as long as humanly possible. Practice your skill shot and wall placement to get better with her and avoid getting hit as much as possible because you will be very squishy. Just work with her and perfect her shots and skills so that you can work with her and the entire team. On average I die 3 times per game and get ten assists and at least six kills. More if the game goes longer. She's an untapped powerhouse that just takes time to learn how to play well. Keep practicing and have fun stomping in other people's faces who don't think she's good at all.