Armor Penetration vs Attack Damage?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sick96stang

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-12-2011

A subjective question I realize but just wondering which you guys prefer and why. Essentially the goal of both is to cause more damage to your opponent just wondering if one has an advantage over the other.

For example say I'm playing with Ashe who's base damage is 49. I can either equip runes giving me +35.37 attack damage or runes giving me +24.93 armor penetration. Which of these would be more effective in dealing more damage?

rekkless

07-12-2011

armor pen in most circumstances, AD can be better early for some champs

PartyTimeX

07-12-2011

Early game, where champions barely have armor, the difference between both will be very little, but later in the game, as champions start to stack armor, Armor Penetration shines alot more than flat damage.

Duril

07-13-2011

Firstm the way you have that worded suggests you are thinking about AD/lvl runes. Never, ever, ever, ever use those. Riot would have to make them at least 50% stronger before they could come close to being viable vs flat AD and arpen.

AD is better early, arpen is better mid game, both are about a wash end game with arpen coming out slightly ahead.

AD helps with last hitting. If you find you need that, AD will be better then arpen, since runes are all about helping out your early game. It can also slightly help your harrassment very early on. Again, runes are about early game advantage.

I've been experiementing with mixing and matching AD/Arpen, after running straight Arpen for a long time. The results seem to be positive up to a certain point, but too much AD seems be backfire a bit. I think arpen marks + AD quints might be optimal, going to keep experimenting.

TL;DR: Don't use AD/lvl. AD vs arpen is matter of preference, playstyle, and last hit capability.

Duril

07-13-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyTimeX View Post
Early game, where champions barely have armor, the difference between both will be very little, but later in the game, as champions start to stack armor, Armor Penetration shines alot more than flat damage.
This is actually false. Due to the way armor scales EHP, flat arpen (as opposed to last whisper's % base) actually LOSES value against flat AD.

Think of this extreme case. You have the choice between 20 arpen and 10 AD.

You do 100 damage. The enemy has 20 armor. Arpen wins by a landslide.

Now the enemy has 10000 armor. AD stomps the value of arpen.

Arpen is strongest mid game, when opponents are closest to 31 armor. None of the arpen is wasted, and the % of total EHP reduction is maximized. As armor continues to increase, the value of arpen declines.

AD carries with boots, PD, and a survival item, will see little difference between AD or arpen end game against most players, especially tanks.

DreidelFan

07-13-2011

arpen can still be pretty beast late game, I have roughly 60 flat with urgot and even lvl 14-18 carries/casters usually have less, if not just slightly more

basically true damage even late game

Duril

07-13-2011

The only way to get 60 flat would be with a ghostblade, and another brutalizer.

If you are getting brutalizer/ghostblade, it increases the value of arpen mid/late game. Most ranged AD do not do this due to their being better options for items however.

LordJerichoSwain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-13-2011

A good idea that i find usefull is to take 3 arpen reds, 6 flat ad reds, flat ad quints, 21 points in offense picking up the armor penetration.

most of the champs i play i try to get an early brutalizer or a mid game/late game black clever, this setup works really nice for my playstyle personally. At lv 1 I do true dmg to minions/champs. by lv 6 though im doing SLIGHTLY less, unless i am olaf and i pick up my ulti.

If you do the 3 arpen/6 ad you will do more damage at lvs 1-6 but at lv 7 you will do 1 dmg less average per level after that, this can be countered by a late game black clever or starks or ghostblade or even divine sword (if you use active you get 30 arpen).

LW is ONLY good if your fighting a rammus, malphite or somebody with like 300 armor.