{CHAMPION ANALYSIS} Detailed Breakdown of Rengar, The Pridestalker

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 23
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThaDean

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

Full Breakdown of Rengar in terms of his kit, his playstyle, his difficulty, and his strengths and weakness, both in abilities and as a whole.

{Enter wall of Text}

Rengar is a fun-to-play, easy-to-learn but hard-to-master AD melee bruiser who can top-lane or jungle, with success in both. He's best played as an elusive top laner who's nearly impossible to gank post 6, and has incredible utility when at 4 or 5 ferocity stacks. Early game, DO NOT go near a bush if you know an opposing Rengar has 4 or 5 ferocity stacks, unless you can avoid or mitigate extreme amounts of auto-attack physical damage (e.g., Garen W, akali stealth, Poppy passive, Shen taunt, Jax counter-strike, etc.)

Utilizing Rengar's kit efficiently takes split-second timing mixed with long-term planning- knowing when to store ferocity and when to use it separates mediocre Rengar's from good Rengar's, and optimally using his ultimate separates good Rengars from great Rengars. He also benefits from having the most efficient non-snowball ad item in the game in the form of his unique item, the Bonetooth Necklace.

Favorable matchups for Rengar toplane are:
Darius, Cho, Blitz, Kennen, Malphite, Nasus, Nidalee, Olaf, Tryndamere, Vladimir, WarWick, Xin Zhao
Rengar's favorable matchups are favorable because the above champions cannot mitigate the devastating amount of short-term damage Rengar can deal- they can merely survive through it.

Unfavorable matchups toplane aginst:
Akali, Garen, Irelia, Jax, Jayce, Kayle, Lee, Pantheon, Poppy, Riven, Rumble, Shen, Shyvana, Wukong, Yorick
These matchups are unfavorable for Rengar because each of the above champions have some way of mitigating or evading Rengar's amazing burst- Rumble can bully Rengar out of the bush, for example, or Jax can dodge all of the double savagery burst damage.

Balanced Matchups against:
Fiora, Renekton
These matchups are based on single trades, such as whether or not Fiora can reflect a Rengar leap, or whether Renek can combo off on an unwary Rengar.

Kit Discussion

Passive: Unseen Predator

Idea: amazing in conception, and fun to use, if wonky. It essentially gives Rengar a reliable gap closer on no cooldown- but only from bushes. It also allows him no cooldown empowered abilities after he casts 5 abilities on enemy champions. This passive separates bad Rengars from good Rengars. Bad Rengars play him as they would Irelia. Good Rengars play him as a mix between Garen and AD Akali.

Pros: Unique. No other champion has anything close to this in terms of a passive, the closest thing is Nidalee's passive mixed with Renekton's Fury system. It makes Rengar Rengar, and should be considered a fifth (and sixth) ability.
Cons: Iffy execution, does not reset AA timer. Sometimes I can use it for a short time after I exit a bush... and sometimes I can't. Sometimes I'll jump 100 units to a baddie just entering a bush and waste valuable aa time... and sometimes I won't.

Q: Savagery, Empowered Savagery

Idea: Primary damage output, large offensive sterroid, jungle ability... and noobtrap (See cons)

Pros: MASSIVE damage output, ferocity generation. Rengar's QQ combo is capable of 80%-0% people when he's level 2 (This combo deals 60+3.5 xAD), and using them both will give him a 90% AS increase for 3 seconds. Mix with his passive and he's EXTREMELY dangerous when in a bush, empowered, with his q.
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS 1/2 SECOND, 600 RANGE BURST.
Or a quick death awaits you

Cons: You can Q and then Empowered Q without hitting anyone. Essentially, you waste your Q. Why is this allowed to happen? Under what circumstance would you possibly want to lower your burst? This one bug (if indeed a bug) can and will be the difference between you winning and losing a lane with/against Rengar. THIS NEEDS FIXING
Secondly, Savagery has an animation time, during which Rengar cannot attack. This wastes ~1/2 a second per Q hit- which reduces his massive AS% by a full 33% of its duration.

W: Battle Roar, Empowered Battle Roar

Idea: Primary Defensive Sterroid, mild sustainability, allow him to jungle effectively.

Pros: It generates a short-term armor and mr buff that really helps when in a sticky situation. When your opponent is not in lane, use its Empowered form to quickly regain hp. Otherwise, stick to QQ'ing all over opponents

Cons: Again, casting animation. It seems to be Rengar's problem. The animation only lasts for .4 seconds, but its long enough to let enemies slip away from ganks, or to stop you from dealing an additional AA (especially while the Savagery buff is active). This casting animation on another champion would be the equivalent of making shyvana's burnout stun her for half a second, or having Voli's slow stun him for half a second- it renders the ability much less useful for anything other than ranged poke.

E: Bola Strike, Empowered Bola Strike

Idea: Ranged CC, Ferocity Generation, give Rengar a "gap-closer" without having him fully rely on his passive

Pros: The slow is amazing. Jax jump on you? Slow him and jump away. Kennen trying to get in close to ult? Slow him and jump away. Gank gone awry? Slow someone to a crawl and GTFO. The level one slow on this ability starts out as 50%- that's a level 4 nunu iceball. If you hit someone with this, they aren't closing the gap unless they can instantaneously do it.

Cons: The empowered version is useless. No really. It's complete garbage. In every possible situation, I would rather heal for 15% of my max hp or deal 2.5x my ad than have a 1 second root followed by a 1.5 second stun, in the place of a 2.5 second degrading slow that happens to be the largest slow in the game at level one. In fact, the empowered form of this ability is so bad that it is relegated to "OH SH*T, MISCLICK" status. The sole use of Empowered Bola Strike is to prevent a flash- but more on that later.
Secondly, it's buggy. As in, buggier than a Mississippian meadow in the middle of May buggy. When you lose sight of the target after the projectile has been launched, it doesn't hit. If you don't let the animation finish, it doesn't hit. If you cast an ability too quickly after using it, it doesn't hit.... I'm sure you get the point. In other words, expect anywhere from 10-20% of E's you throw to not hit- depending on how lucky you are.

Ultimate: Thrill of the Hunt (Predator Mode)

Idea: THIS, IS, RENGAR! Essentially, it's a whole new take on an ultimate ability. It gives Rengar True vision (Infrared Predator style), stealth, massive ferocity regeneration, a speed increase, and an automatic passive proc while stealth is active.
Correct use of Thrill of the Hunt separates a good Rengar from a great Rengar

Pros: In teamfights, Rengar can quickly and easily sneak around a tankline and begin mutilating an ad carry with his empowered Q's, or escape a gank. Later in the game, it has a relatively low cooldown, can provide vision of targets lost in the FoW, and gives Rengar a free empowered proc along with a free passive proc.

Cons: It has an "arming" time of 1.25 seconds before any effects (discounting minor ms boost) kick in, and is entirely useless to a Rengar if he gets stunlocked into oblivion, or ganked without advance warning.
Secondly, the MS boost is too small to make a noticeable difference until level 16.
Thirdly, the ferocity regen is over time. This is huge, as your ult is optimally used as either an initiation tool (and Rengar lacks the base defensive stats to initiate), or as a finisher, to catch up to running enemies (most likely flashers)

{End Wall of Text}

All of the above (excepting the bug listings) is my opinion. Feel free to disagree, but please explain why and provide logical reasoning. Thank you for your time, and I hope you have as much fun with Rengar as I have! =)

EDIT: After reading and rereading Classick's posts, and after a solid week of various Rengar games (Rengar support OP), I had a revolutionary thought.

If Rengar was nerfed in PBE because of his OP early game, why not nerf the offending ability early game again (Empowered Savagery), but give it lategame scaling, to make up for Rengar's lack of DPS lategame.
In other words, reduce the empowered savagery bonus AD scaling by 10% to 140% early, but have it scale with Savagery's level (140/150/160/170/180%). That way, Rengar furthur avoids the unfun one-shot all in plays that he was nerfed for in the PBE, but in return he gains some late-game assassin ability- something he sorely needs, as anyone who owns Rengar can attest to, because he cannot viably build tanky without sacrificing too much damage.

An alternative outlet could be to reduce the scaling on both Savagery and Empowered Savagery, but give it additional base damage (Ala Garen E remake).
Thoughts?

ThaDean

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2012

mandatory self- bump

glue2

08-22-2012

Great analysis. What is your preferred item build for top/jungle, and do you like to think of him as a bruiser or an assassin? Or both?

MagnissimusPrime

08-22-2012

good read didn't know about the Q bug and completely agree about E. Rengar is thematically awesome and i think he needs some usability tweaks (Just get rid of empowered E). I hate when i have full ferocity and its one of those lategame standoffs and an enemy walks into E range so i harass only to realize i wasted my ferocity.

ThaDean

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by glue2 View Post
Great analysis. What is your preferred item build for top/jungle, and do you like to think of him as a bruiser or an assassin? Or both?
Top Build Is usually Tabi -> Wriggles -> Bone Necklace -> Mallet -> Atma's or GA -> BT.

By the time you reach the atma/GA stage, you should have several stacks on the Necklace. I prefer to think of Rengar's role as sort of like garen's or Irelia's, but with an assassin twist: sit on the carry's face until they die... but make it fast.
I think that Regnar can most optimally accomplish this by building tanky, because he simply does not have enough burst to 100-0 someone in a Q->Q->W->E combo, even if he builds pure ad. This can be seen by the fact that his q gives a massive as increase, rather than it dealing more base damage or having more scaling...

In other words, he's a bruiser with a focus on assassinating someone in ~4 secs when fully built- kinda like a Darius, but without the true damage.

And something I forgot to mention: Rengar with TP is one of the most annoying backdoor champs in the game. Empowered Savagery hits for ~450 tower hp lategame (w/ 100% as boost) and normal savagery should hit for ~200 (w/ 50% as). And if they try to come get you, ult out.

ThaDean

08-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnissimusPrime View Post
good read didn't know about the Q bug and completely agree about E. Rengar is thematically awesome and i think he needs some usability tweaks (Just get rid of empowered E). I hate when i have full ferocity and its one of those lategame standoffs and an enemy walks into E range so i harass only to realize i wasted my ferocity.
To fit the empowered theme, his E would need to be able to be empowered. But I do agree that it needs to become useful. Maybe make the whole duration a root, or have it deal a whole lot of extra damage?

Th3Dean

08-23-2012

Do you think rengar is balanced, weak, or slighlty op? (I think a little bit weak).

ThaDean

08-23-2012

I think Rengar is slightly weak because of his bugs, his Empowered E's uselessness, and because of the arming time on his ult.

If those three things were changed, however, I think he'd be a balanced top laner and a good jungle, whose post six ganks would give Nocturne's a run for his money in terms of scariness.

ViSuoLize

08-23-2012

bump. Fix his bugs please.

Pawstruck

08-23-2012

Never seen one of these before.

1234511 ... 23