@riot sound engineer

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Real Life Shaco

07-10-2011

Hi, I've been working on music for about 4 years as an engineer and I've been a musician all my life. Recently I've really been working towards working for Riot doing sound and just wanted to see how hard is it to get in.

I'm currently learning FMOD because it's the program you all use, I also already know Cubase which is in the same family as what you're all using. I also made custom music for different champions and game syle to show both what I can do and how devoted I am to really working hard to do a great job.

Here's the link to it if you wanted to see my work
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ight=map+music

Fro0p

07-13-2011

I was in the exact same situation as you. I've been devoted to music for more than 10 years using FL Studio as my main DAW.

I chose something else though, as I figured it would be pretty drastic for a 20 year old "kid" to leave my home in Denmark (Scandinavia, Europe) and move to the US for this one job.

Good luck though, and please let me know what happens on this epic journey. It's very exciting to read about.

Real Life Shaco

07-13-2011

Thank you for the support with this, I hope I get some feedback soon

Mars200

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-14-2011

hope you get the job, judging by the music in your link you really know what you're doing

trachypithecus

07-15-2011

Hey man,

There is currently an Associate Sound designer position on the "Careers" page. I suggest you fill out a full application, including a cover letter and a resume, and send it to the address listed on that page. Be sure to include a link to examples of your work.

It will also help greatly if you have sound design (SFX) examples in addition to your music. Often-times in the games industry, music composers will be outsourced/hired as contractors, whereas the in-house guys will be primarily doing SFX. I can't say for certain that that's the way it's handled at Riot, but based on the job description, it seems as though they're looking for more SFX work at the moment. So, if you don't have any sound design examples, why not start by downloading a game trailer or a champion spotlight video, stripping it of the sound, and designing your own SFX for, say, a champion's skills/spells? Once you have a full application, send it in... and best of luck!

Real Life Shaco

07-16-2011

Yeah I just sent my application today with the work I did on my thread thank you for the feedback =D

raidonkill

07-17-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhjae View Post
Yeah I just sent my application today with the work I did on my thread thank you for the feedback =D
Hi Rhjae,

I saw your work and it's quite nice. I noticed a few flaws though. Most of your compositions are kind of flat. Like the Morde theme, it feels that you only used 3 instruments and it doesn't really give me a strong impact like what the morde character is suppose to be. The jungle/ wild theme for nidalee is also an example that most of your instruments are sounding flat. Its basically jungle drums and growls, i suggest that you add more dynamics and weight.

i appreciate the effort, and it really gives a creative feel, but maybe you can still raise the quality even more. Also, try silence intervals. Split the mood of your mix and add more build ups, so it won't feel like a loopable track.

Another thing, I hate to break your heart but I think Riot is already working with an external composer. Basically, devs doesn'tt hire in-house composers - only sound designers. If they happen to write back at you, try polishing your sound design skills. Sound design, as in sound effects, foley, mixing, etc. Music composition is another story, and they need sound designers at the moment.

Goodluck!

Real Life Shaco

07-17-2011

I do stuff with sound design also, so I completely understand.

As for it sounding flat, nids was unmastered due to me not knowing if I like it. I'm in the process of mastering it now and re releasing it.

Mordes was my first release work and it is flat simply due to it being a live recording so I have to enhance it when I'm able.

Most of the theme stuff is supposed to be short and brief due to it being a theme. the extended ones are much longer and full.

As for as composers go I love doing the sound design stuff or composing. Either way I'd be happy working with them.

raidonkill

07-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhjae View Post
I do stuff with sound design also, so I completely understand.

As for it sounding flat, nids was unmastered due to me not knowing if I like it. I'm in the process of mastering it now and re releasing it.

Mordes was my first release work and it is flat simply due to it being a live recording so I have to enhance it when I'm able.

Most of the theme stuff is supposed to be short and brief due to it being a theme. the extended ones are much longer and full.

As for as composers go I love doing the sound design stuff or composing. Either way I'd be happy working with them.
Yes, I hope you get your break. What I really love about your style is the melodic vibes. This is your strength. The best so far is Soraka's theme. This is by far the smartest and most ambitious of them all. It fit's her character and as a listener, I would want to hear a full song of this theme. It goes with Oriana's theme as well. The emotion you bring on these melodies is significantly strong. Keep it up.

You can improve:

Blitz - There is nothing robotic or even close to what blitzcrank is..a steam golem. I don't get the round-thumping kick, I'm not saying its awful but its just not blitzcrank. And the gongs and computer tweets are just wrong. Sorry.

Morde - there is a broken bar at 0:17. I think you over extended a bar. It feels abrupt.

Real Life Shaco

07-20-2011

Blitz was made in a steampunk setting, it's what seemed to fit best. I'm planning on attempting a melody on there in the future.

Morde, going to review/patch this, thank you for pointing this out.