Malz vs other AP carries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Protride

07-10-2011

so i mained vayne up untill lvl 9 dominating pubs and decided auto attcking to death aint no FUN! so i decided to try an AP carry.. that was Swain (suggested by some ppl in-game). And let me tell you, hes a blast nuking kids down! No complaints till i played a game today~

i asked to go mid and everyone was fine with it (as i usually go mid). Then this Akali starts telling me off and that she can dominate malz mid. so i trusted her words and went bottom. 2 mins into the game. i hear the (amazing phrase if its from your team or the horrible phrase if its from the foes) "FIRST BLOOD" and i look to see Malz got it. then she starts raging that "WHERES MY MANA?!?!?!" or something along those lines. as time goes by Akali dies 3 times within 10 mins of the game. she rages then leaves. by that time, i have 2 kills and 3 assists, as my lane partner was amazing.

later in the game, me and malz had the same amount of farm but in team fights he just owns them kids. and when i caught him in river, i nuked him down but he ended up killing me with his ulti.

so my naive question is, "is malz better then swain?"

i love swain.

MuffinButtonYay

07-10-2011

I never found Swain to be a very good 1v1 champion, as the tankyness he's recognized for requires more than one champion around, as otherwise his ult heal isn't nearly as effective.

MisoSowee

07-10-2011

malz is amazing 1v1. He's probably the best 1v1 ap mage with a silence and suppression, anivia a close second imo.

redcloud989

07-10-2011

I think malz would have a distinct advantage over swain.

Etherimp

07-10-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisoSowee View Post
malz is amazing 1v1. He's probably the best 1v1 ap mage with a silence and suppression, anivia a close second imo.
Anivia is great at playing passive aggressive (holding a lane and surprising you with a "wtf" moment of burst), but she's not that great '1v1' in a straight up fight. Head to head Malz will own her every time because she gets supressed and can't combo.

Protride

07-11-2011

ohh i see..
soo again, hes pretty much situationally great.

Aurium

07-11-2011

is situational, and depends on the skills of both players, but, if both players are equally skilled and farmed malzahar would win over swain, mainly because the supress will keep swain from recovering hp with his ult, which is one of his best skills. you take that away and hes pretty much helpless. plus swain is much more mana hungry than malzahar which means in a drawn outfight he would be at a disadvantage

Blaggo

07-11-2011

Swain is a lot harder to kill in a team fight. Malzahar dishes out more damage 1v1. Also Malzahar's W is good against tanky champs like swain, plus he has a silence, so I would expect Malzahar to win against Swain, but that doesn't mean he is a better champion.

godhunter1053

07-11-2011

Different roles.

Malz is a straight up burst caster. His job is to kill that one important target with his full combo. If he dies after that it doesn't matter too much as he's done his job.

Swain is essentially a magical dps. His job is to put out constant decent damage throughout the fight throwing out CC where he can. When fed he'll be doing a really good amount of damage but will never match the burst of malz.

Morsigil

07-11-2011

What blaggo and godhunter said.

A good malz will own a lane against even a good Swain. All of Malz's abilities hurt more and have longer range. Even malz's ult is the same or longer range than Swain's two DoTs.

That being said, Swain can 1v1 Malz later if he's not too fed, because all a Swain really needs to own a malz is an abyssal scepter, rylai's, and banshee's veil. Too much HP and MR for malz to handle and you can run him down.