Having difficulty adjusting to playing on Purple Team

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Stormvyper

07-10-2011

I typically play vs. AI, so I'm the most comfortable playing on the Blue Team. Likewise, it feels like the game itself is designed from the perspective of the Blue Team (whether you're on it or not). For example, the brush at both top and bottom lane are clearly visible at all times for the Blue Team, yet bottom brush is almost completely obscured by the edge of the client for Purple Team because they still view the game from the Blue Team's perspective.

Couldn't you just swap the map around so that each team's map looks exactly the same (both teams Nexus and camp appears in the bottom left corner of the client like it does for Blue Team)? It's a longshot, but I thought I'd ask anyway lol.

And since I doubt this will be changed anytime soon (if at all), how do you guys get around it? It really handicapped me in my last game, to the point where I was forced to switch lanes.

Pieceofcandy

07-10-2011

They wanted to add something like this a while back (was a popular issue a while back) but something about how the map flipped over and how the brush was positioned messed with it.

As you play more you get used to it, so just keep playing and eventually you won't even notice it.

fooolishfool

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2011

Matchmaking apparently takes this into account - since blue is slightly more likely to win on average (though this may also be due to the positioning of dragon/baron), matchmaking puts slightly stronger players on the purple team. I think that swapping the view in the way you suggest has been mentioned as an idea but that it is a lot more technically difficult than one would expect. The best you can do is to keep playing and get used to it.

PvtJuice

07-10-2011

While a great idea, it would take Riot a long time to implement this. It's been suggested before but no notice from the devs on whether or not it would ever come.

About the terrain being different, it's not. Each jungle side is cross-reflected from the opposite side, the only differences being which team's Blue Buff - River outlet leads to Dragon/Baron.

It's not widely known, but the purple team is the higher ranked people. This is especially noticeable around the 8-14 level range when people on the purple team will have Flash, but the players on blue team won't.

If you're having trouble dealing with it, unlock your camera and play like that. Locking your camera gives you a huge disadvantage as you aren't viewing everything you can. It may take a while to get used to, but you'll be a better player in the end because of it.

Melogrunty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-10-2011

If you play enough pvp matches you will stop noticing like everyone said. I played just over 100 matches of 5v5 and I don't even notice or care. I do notice blue team wins a heck of a lot more than purple now that someone brought it up though lol

OmySpy

07-10-2011

It is tough at first, especially if you have a lot of practice on Blue team. I used to hate playing on Purple, but now that I've done it a lot I've gotten more use to it. Once you play a bunch of games on Purple you can do 99% as well as you do on Blue

Cheekimonk

07-10-2011

You get used to it (the first step is to STOP playing bots immediately). However, the OP is correct that there is a blind spot for purple. It's at the edge brush nearest blue's turret on bottom lane. There is a building or wall (hard to tell) that obscures a little of half of that brush. I just noticed today. But it's not large enough to obscure a champion or block what they're doing.

Hegna

07-10-2011

They actually had a swapping in Beta (or so I've heard) that turned the map 180 degrees. The problem was, not everyone used it and it caused huge communication problems (bot vs top) and has issues with dragon and baron (not sure if it was display glitches or what). I could be wrong though, I didn't play in Beta.
You can minimize the visual effect of being purple by unlocking your camera (press y) so you can see around you.

pat8u

07-10-2011

Wait a minute I've Never played on the purple team strange
OT: Well your idea sounds good but Ive never been on purple (I play pvp match making games)