Armor Pen vs. Attack Dmg

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mandala

04-16-2010

I normally play as Pantheon and am unsure if should use my Attack Dmg marks or if i should buy Armor Pen ones. Can someone explain what armor pen does exactly and which I should use?

Carados

04-16-2010

Armor Pentration gives more damage in every circumstance, unless you have a Black Cleaver, Starks, and a Ghostblade. That's all you need to know.

Mandala

04-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carados View Post
Armor Pentration gives more damage in every circumstance, unless you have a Black Cleaver, Starks, and a Ghostblade. That's all you need to know.
Alright so ill use armor pen. But what happens if i do use those items?

Carados

04-16-2010

I'd think you'd reduce most characters armor to the negatives, where numeric armor penetration does nothing.

But keep in mind armor pen ruins effect towers, so even then it's not a bad deal.

Lyrondak

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2010

Armor Penetration.
Damage reduction is calculated by multiplying damage with the formula: 100/(Armor + 100)
In short, armor penetration will increase your damage by a %.
Attack damage will increase damage in static amounts.
Because of this, attack damage drastically loses its effectiveness late game.
Armor penetration never loses effectiveness through any stage of the game as it scales with your attack damage.

Black Cleaver & Starks reduces armor, not penetrate it.
Armor reduction is calculated before armor penetration.
Armor reduction can make armor go into negatives.
Armor penetration caps at 0 armor.
Because reduction is calculated first, if you reduce someone to negative armor with these items, armor penetration does nothing because it cannot penetrate past 0 armor.

Pickle Wizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrondak View Post
Armor Penetration.
Damage reduction is calculated by multiplying damage with the formula: 100/(Armor + 100)
Armor penetration never loses effectiveness through any stage of the game as it scales with your attack damage.

Because reduction is calculated first, if you reduce someone to negative armor with these items, armor penetration does nothing because it cannot penetrate past 0 armor.
Does this mean that there is no possible way to reduce armor into the negatives? Also, if it is possible then is the % reduced actually negative as well?

DonaldPotsmoker

04-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyrondak View Post
Armor Penetration.

I'm still a little unsure how damage is actually calculated. I have armor penetration quints and marks and I do more damage than my actual damage to creeps. I always thought this was because of my armor penetration. Could the difference between what it says my damage (attack damage in bottom left) is and what the damage done to creeps (red numbers over their head) is when I hit them arise from my masteries (I have the +attack damage masteries)?

Lyrondak

04-17-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copius View Post
Does this mean that there is no possible way to reduce armor into the negatives? Also, if it is possible then is the % reduced actually negative as well?
It is possible to reduce armor to the negatives, but ONLY with armor REDUCTION. Armor penetration can only reduce armor down to 0. It's calculated in this order:

Reduction (black cleaver, starks, champ skills like karthas wall, evelyn ravage)
% Penetration (Last Whisper)
Static Armor Penetration (Runes, Brutalizer)

Reduction is factored in first and can go into negatives, and penetration is calculated last and caps at 0. So if you do reduce someone into the negatives, the penetration runes don't contribute to it because it cannot cause armor to go below 0. % reduction cannot reduce to negatives either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPotsmoker View Post
I'm still a little unsure how damage is actually calculated. I have armor penetration quints and marks and I do more damage than my actual damage to creeps. I always thought this was because of my armor penetration. Could the difference between what it says my damage (attack damage in bottom left) is and what the damage done to creeps (red numbers over their head) is when I hit them arise from my masteries (I have the +attack damage masteries)?
You do more damage to creeps because they have negative armor. Click on a creep and look at their armor next time. I haven't tested this but I'm pretty sure the armor penetration does nothing vs creeps. With or without penetration, you will do the same damage.

AIM7Sparrow

04-17-2010

Deja Vu

Fiar

04-17-2010

Armor Pen Runes > ATK dmg runes. ALWAYS.