Physical Carry Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThePiper42

12-14-2010

What are some recommended rune page setups for a physical carry? I know armor pen is important for marks but what do people typically use for seals and glyphs?

Greenfin Tuna

12-14-2010

Personally it depends on the carry you are playing. For example if you play urgot you want some magic regen glyphs as early game urgot has a huge problem with mana which is where he shows his dominance. Which champion are you referring to?

ThanatosAUS

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-14-2010

Mana regen yellow if you need it. Usually cooldown blue.

Lancefighter

12-14-2010

apen reds, mp5 yellows, cdr blues, and hp quints?

fairly generic page (swapping apen and mpen as needed), ill grant you

Greenfin Tuna

12-14-2010

You should look up top players in League of Legends ranked and browse through there pages as its readily available.

ThePiper42

12-14-2010

I play a lot of Ashe and Twisted Fate (AD) so those are the heroes I would base my rune purchases off of. I also sometimesI play Olaf, Master Yi, Xin Zhao, and others.

Thanks for the help!

GrandImperator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-15-2010

If they have mana, a lot of the higher Elo players will do HP Quints, ArPen marks, and MP5/18 yellows and blues (Tree Eskimo and Elementz both do this to my knowledge, but yes, in-game you can look up any summoner and examine his or her rune page).

Without mana, it's a different story. If it's still a physical damage dealer, ArPen marks should naturally be there. HP Quints are also often used. But yellows would then often be Dodge Seals (since you can't itemize those and manaless champs often go 9/21/0 or 21/9/0 and can't use Strength of Spirit in the Defense Tree, meaning they're going to get that Dodge Talent for 2% or whatever more dodge, and that one that procs 10% increased movespeed for however many seconds when you dodge an attack--this is nice for chasing and/or running away). HP/Level seals might not also be terrible, as those work really well for a tank like Shen (who also has no mana) and really well for Vlad, if you also play those champs. Situationally, flat armor seals may work well if you anticipate laning against an MF or Pantheon or maybe even Corki? (although Dodge may be better for Corki). Flat armor seals are also among the cheapest-priced tier 3 seals and are great for junglers too.

For Blues, one could use flat CDR or CDR/level (I think it takes until level 13 if I'm not wrong for CDR/levels to start outpacing flat CDR, so CDR is often seen as better, but up to you, and I could be wrong on the exact level, but you should always evaluate that yourself). Another option could be Magic Resist or Magic Resist/level, if you didn't care for or didn't need CDR (MR/level is also cheaper than flat CDR, if I'm not mistaken).

Lastly, if you're comfortable with it and need more damage as opposed to survivability early on, flat ArPen quints could be used instead of flat HP Quints. The best quints for late game are probably movespeed quints, as once again (like dodge seals) you are quite limited in being able to itemize for movespeed.

Also of consideration is that early advantages in runes (of flats over per levels) tends to snowball into someone dominating his or her lane in terms of CS and/or getting a kill or two that permits one to ultimately gain a larger and larger advantage and win the game. Examining the differences between per level runes and their flat equivalents (sometimes there is only one option so no comparison would be needed) will help you figure out when the per level runes start actually giving you more (instead of less) than the flat runes. Knowing whether this break-off point is at level 5 or level 13, for instance, will help guide you towards the option that seems better for your playstyle (and or generally speaking, which is why MP/18 seals and glyphs are almost universally used over their equivalents flat versions).

Clutch Cat4lyst

12-15-2010

Personally the only ones I use are as follows:
Quintessence: Fortitude(flat health) or Desolation(armor penetration) depending on how much I need early survivability, and whether I will get a Doran's Item (pretty much always do)
Marks: Armor Penetration, I've never used anything else
Seals: Either Clarity (mana reg. per level) or Vitality (health per level) I get the Clarity if I have major mana problems, otherwise some type of survivability (I use Vitality, could be dodge or armor as well)
Glyphs: Either Clarity (mana reg. per level) or Focus (cooldown reduction) basically I get the mana reg. if I need them on a certain character (like Ashe) otherwise cooldown. Also magic resist per level are a possibility

six PERFECTIONS

12-15-2010

I main Xin Zhao as my physical carry. As of right now I have Armor Penetration Quintessences, Armor Penetration Marks, Magic Resist Glyphs, and Armor Seals. The reason I switched to Armor from Dodge % is because early game I grab the upper hand being able to handle hits from enemy champions without having chance it, granting me more concrete survivability and allowing me to grab First blood without having to worry too much about my own healthpoint loss. Grabbing some kills early-game, I would proceed with the rest of the game with an upper-hand after that.

Swarna

12-15-2010

These suggestions are good. I would like to add that on a carry like Tristana who isn't concerned with mana regen you might like using attack speed/crit chance seals and glyphs as an alternative to survivability.