Sivir; The Weakest Link

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

vonFiedler

07-07-2011

Twitch
Easily countered, but a stealth character and a pub stomper.
Heimerdinger
Very hard to set up, but an extremely unique champion.
Pantheon
Fails if you can't land your ultimate, but when you can he is extremely fun to play.

Ask any solo pub who the worst champions in the game are, and these flawed but niche characters will be readily named. All three of them need to be buffed, as do many other champions. However, I truly believe that League of Legends is an extremely balanced game and that almost every character can be used competitively. Even the three above characters each fulfill a niche role and will be enjoyed by a portion of the playerbase.

Unlike Sivir.

Sivir is the Dan of League of Legends. She is such an outdated and underpowered champion that her only conceivable niche would be to humiliate the opponent. The fact that these qualities describe a 450 IP "recommended" champion shows an extremely weak link in an otherwise strong chain.

Sivir is outclassed in every way by all other ranged carries, including Twitch. This stems from clear flaws in 3/4 abilities, and only minor buffs over the last six months.

Sivir's character design is an anti-pattern, which I aim to show through this post.

Boomerang Blade
Boomerang Blade is where things just start to go down hill for Sivir. In a test, I played 5 games where I used Boomerang Blade and 5 where I took ability last. I performed better without Boomerang Blade, probably because I got a BF Sword in a reasonable amount of time instead of wasting my money on early mana items just so that I could use Boomerang Blade more than twice before returning to lane. The fact that you see so many Sivir guides recommending Manamune on a character with one 9 CD spell is ridiculous, but without heavy mana Sivir underperforms horribly.

No amount of extra damage and speed will ever make Boomerang Blade a good ability. Compare this to Ezreal's Mystic shot, which at less than half the damage and can only hit one enemy once, a skillshot twenty times better because I can actually whiff it a few times and still beat my opponent provided my last hitting and positioning is good.

Boomerang Blade clings for dear life to an absurd mana cost on a low mana champion because if mana wasn't an issue Spell Shield might not actually synergize. However, the result is anti-synergy.

Spell Shield
Spell Shield exists for one reason, to validate Boomerang Blade's pitiful existence. Boomerang Blade is an abusive parent and Spell Shield is the enabler, fooling itself into thinking that Sivir just ran into a door. Like Boomerang Blade, not whiffing your Spell Shields is essential to winning as Sivir. That's 2 for 2. Does this still sound like a "Recommended" Champion?

No amount of mana is a fulfilling reward for an AD Carry. Getting mana from a successful Spell Shield is like getting coal for Christmas then learning you are homeless because Boomerang Blade destroyed your house. You need that coal to not freeze to death in the winter. But that's not fun.

Not only does Nocturne's spell shield grant him a passive bonus so that it's still a worthwhile skill without the active, but succeeding the shield gives you something an AD Carry actually wants. Plus, you want attack speed when you are going to commit to fighting an opponent so when you see Nocturne gunning for you you throw all your abilities at him then the shield works. That's synergy synergy, not anti-synergy like with Spell Shield.

Instead of granting mana (because Boomerang Blade's mana cost should be fixed instead), perhaps Spell Shield could grant an Attack Damage bonus that doubles with successful shielding. This is a boost sorely needed by Sivir, as well as rewarding and fun synergy.

On The Hunt
Statistically On The Hunt doesn't seem too bad but then you realize that Warwick's Hunters Call gives him almost the same Attack Speed and gives his allies more with a fraction of the cooldown time. What else does it give you? Movement speed? Does Sivir look like a melee carry to you? Movement speed just in case you need to run away, from an ultimate that also gives attack speed. See the anti-pattern here?

At level 6 Sivir is just pitiful, while Tristana already has her 60% AS boost. The numbers on this ult at least need to be shifted around, like 60/75/90. I have never fought a Sivir at Level 6 and fought "Oh, I underestimated her". Mostly because she was always dead.

The movement speed boost may be ok if the numbers were fixed but I have another idea.

Warning, the following falls under extremely experimental buffs. But Sivir really needs something just saying.

What if instead of movement speed, On The Hunt caused Sivir to autoattack while moving. On The Hunt would target the last enemy clicked on, or the nearest enemy in ranged. This allows what I feel OTH was meant to, it allows Sivir to chase down enemies or kite them while attacking. It also synergizes with Fleet of Foot and Ricochet. Again, this is a desperate change but look at the desperate changes you've made before. Look at Ryze.

I know a good deal of posts on this forum are whining or dismissed as whining, but I just want League of Legends to be as balanced as possible and I feel that making Sivir playable would do more for that than changing any other character.

clear world

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonFiedler View Post
Twitch
Boomerang Blade
No amount of extra damage and speed will ever make Boomerang Blade a good ability. Compare this to Ezreal's Mystic shot, which at less than half the damage and can only hit one enemy once, a skillshot twenty times better because I can actually whiff it a few times and still beat my opponent provided my last hitting and positioning is good.
First off, were you not playing when Sivir was consider OP. She was OP because of Boomerang Blade was so godly good. They nerfed it so much that now it's like this. It used to scale off of total AD instead of bonus AD. So you saying no amount of extra damage will make this a good ability is wrong.

Second, I do agree with most everything else you said. I want to say more, but I got nothing.

Fairy Edit: Still after all this time, I still don't have much to say. So this is all I have. Man, I wish Sivir was a better farmer. To me, it feels she lacks any good farming move until she stacks up tons of damage. I feel other champions can just to it as good or even better than her, which made me lose my interest in Sivir.

vonFiedler

07-07-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by clear world View Post
First off, were you not playing when Sivir was consider OP. She was OP because of Boomerang Blade was so god **** good. They nerfed it so much that now it's like this. It used to scale off of total AD instead of bonus AD. So you saying no amount of extra damage will make this a good ability is wrong.
That was as much as half a year ago, and while the base damage (which is what they have been trying to change since then to make the ability better) has fluctuated it's never been OP and it's not going to be by adding 10 damage every 2 months, as they have been doing.

Ruahi

07-07-2011

eh? sivir is UP? hell she is easy mode man i played her once in a game when i never played her before in my life. it was so god **** easy the farming was easy the spell shield was easy hell you only need one rank in it. boomerang blade nabbed me an ashe kill behind her tower. it was so god **** easy i wrecked towers with her and to top it off a yi couldnt catch me cuz of ult and spell shield when i was finally brought lower then 150 health. if ever there was an easier champ it was sivir

vonFiedler

07-07-2011

Which must be why I haven't seen this 450 IP champ since I was Level 20.

manisier

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2011

she's actually worse than yorick because at least yorick can shut down weaker laners

she is the worst champion in the game. worse than evelynn. the only way to play a successful sivir is to sit in duo bot and harass people trying to touch the real carry on your team, and build support auras

and even then i'd rather play soraka who can heal and has cc and has a bigger attack range

her passive is flawed too. you don't even notice it half the time and when you die to an autoattack, you will be left screaming 'Y PASSIVE NO PROC'. you know you're a bad champion when the only thing setting you apart from other right clickers is the fact that you take a little less creep damage when moving, lol

AdventHawk7

07-07-2011

I almost went Sivir in my last ranked game but my team mate said he was picking up Tristana (which he didn't, he locked in Katarina instead) immediately after I had selected Mordekaiser.

If he hadn't trolled me I would've went Sivir, and my team might not have won.

Diamondragan

07-08-2011

I don't play female champions. If I did, it would be Kayle and Sivir who are both considered underpowered.

Like Hell they are. Take your kit and use the way it's supposed to be used; stop asking for something else when all you have is perfectly fine.

I'm beginning to think no one every buys mana on Speartheon or uses Twitch's slow.

Lol...the spell checker wants Speartheon to be Hearthstone. That's a good one.

vonFiedler

07-08-2011

"I don't play these characters, but like hell they are underpowered".

As a guy who does play Pantheon, why would you buy mana. His Q is very sustainable with no mana.

Sivir's kit is an anti-pattern, everything about it is flawed and it doesn't lead to any interesting interactions.

Deedsie

07-08-2011

People simply don't know how to play a good Sivir.