Jungle Shen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Madmax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-07-2011

So lately I've been tanking with Shen a lot. Despite his nerfs, I love him and have had a fairly decent success rate with him. Well, this last game, we had no jungler. Someone suggested that I jungle. So I said, hell, why not.

So I did decent. I went 5 pots, armor start, going minis to wraiths to wolves. But it was terribly slow, and I was severely under leveled mid game.

So I want to know, what is the optimal jungle path for him (if its still viable), and any tips you guys might have. I'm used to jungling Yi, so I'm fine with a slow, weak jungle.

Cerubois

07-07-2011

Shen jungling is possible, but not recommended.

He's much better in a lane, with an ally who can dish out damage, since he can't anymore... Poor poor Shen... Excuse me while I go cry...

Lancefighter

07-07-2011

shen makes for a very sustained, but slow jungle. the idea is that he can just kinda stay in jungle indefinitely until he needs to ult away or something.

FaerellG

07-07-2011

Shen has always been a better laner than jungler.

iP1ayJarvan

07-07-2011

i still jungle with him. he's slow, thats true but if you skip the big camps and go around clearing the small camps quickly you can pretty much level as fast as your dual lane (though junglers should be catching up with the solo lane). his ganks aren't exactly weak, just hard to pull off. you'd best be taunting a melee, and dragging him back to your ally instead of standing there and hitting him, coupled with a red buff you can easily get a kill. but yea there are better junglers than him, definitely.

GrapePowa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-08-2011

For jungle shen think of it as a last option for jungling.
hes not very good at ganks or counter jungling.

he is last option just so you dont let the other team jungler go rampant.

his role as a jungler should be farm farm farm to get to that fast level 6, and stay in jungle until he is level 6. just be an immovable target in your jungle.

Jungle Path:
I would take other team's wraiths first
your wolves then your wraiths, and from there on just keep on farming up, cover lanes that need covering

another path would be to take red first for faster jungling.

dont gank unless you can get a kill for your team or baby sitting a lane.

items should be based off the other team, but i would recommend the basic clothe amour and 5 pots. but jungling is always varied depending on your runes and masteries.

getting a Heart of Gold is very good makes you very tanky early game and more gold = win

Aikimiller

07-08-2011

Shen can go in and clear the jungle, and he is only marginally slower leveling than the duo lane (or with fortify/smite, you can keep slightly ahead of duo lane)

However, he can't fill the role of jungler. He can't gank for anything. And, quite frankly, until they buff him he is one of the worst tanks in the game right now. He got hit with the nerf bat hard. Reds have supposedly said that a buff to his jungling is incoming, but until that happens, I wouldn't even waste the time laning with him. I used to main shen, but he's one of the weakest champions in the game currently.

Montegomery

07-08-2011

Don't jungle as Shen. He was already a slower jungler before his nerfs, but now he's just abysmal.

Wrathgarr

07-08-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montegomery View Post
Don't jungle as Shen. He was already a slower jungler before his nerfs, but now he's just abysmal.
Not true at all. With the right runes and masteries, I can keep up with solo lanes easily. His counter-jungling is bad, yes, however, its impossible to counter-jungle him. His ganks are fine if your team is paying attention.

That being said, there are more effective junglers, but that's not what this thread is about. Shen is a viable jungle if you go into knowing what to do. The best thing about Shen jungling is that you can donate the buffs to team mates. So, when I jungle with him, I start at small golems, go to red and give it to an AD carry from bot, then wraiths, then wolves, then donate blue to mid or top. Rinse and repeat. Shen can't sustain himself super well against the buff monsters, but he doesn't need them anyway, so donate the buff, and kill the rest of the camp when your ally is out of XP range. If you get an ally to assist on buffs, and time your feints and vorpal blades right, you can jungle indefinitely.

You can also try counter jungling by taking 3 of the enemy wraiths, and one of their golems which will set their jungler behind, and can give the slower Shen jungle an advantage over faster junglers.