Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Mentor Program

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheDramaLlama

07-07-2011

Important Announcements as of 7/8/2011 at 2:03 AM EST:

*****In-Game Chatroom Channel Live: "LoL Mentor Program"*****

Don't wait for someone to contact you - if you want to learn/teach, reach out and contact someone from the list!!!
I'm currently working on a website to manage all of this; stay tuned to this thread for more details when it's done!
Please private message me (whoops there are no PMs, email me: [email]mare_tard@gmail.com[/email] without the underscore because filtering is dumb) with any of the following and I will update the list:
Please note this is all optional, you can stay on the list with just your username!
1. Specific roles/characters you want help with/can help others with
2. Specific ELO ranges you want help from/can help others with
3. If you have found a mentor or mentee and don't want to be contacted anymore
4. If you just don't want to be contacted for a while
5. Any other restrictions you'd like!

Just saying, you guys are amazing. I know the LoL community can be trying at the best of times, but I've heard stories of people pairing up with very skilled players and learning tons of stuff, and it makes me want to give out free kittens. By far, my favorite thing to see is people who have played for over a year but are looking for help getting more competitive and getting into ranked gameplay - it just goes to show that even the veterans need to learn from someone! If you haven't already, check out our new in-game chatroom, "LoL Mentor Program" to find queuing partners or idle mentors/mentees! Again, thanks for being awesome, everyone, and good luck with your training!

Current Participant List
Mentees (Looking for help)
0P B0T (those are zeroes, visit http://netcommander.ch/rep/ for replays)
ActionMan
AdmiralAardvark
AlphaKennyB0dy (that's a zero, support/AD carries)
Aluana (1200ELO+)
AngelPants
angloomy
Ankamius
Antiviruslol (jungle/udyr/trundle/olaf)
Archeer (1400ELO+)
ArAr Rrrr (or Ar Ar Rrrr, try both/1700ELO+/nibiru1704@hotmail.com)
Ardogen (1000ELO+)
Belais
BeserkSummoner
BobOfGoo
Boompje (1600+/mages)
Boo the Hamster (laning/jungling/counterjungling
Cathedral
CFFomg
Collagen (1300ELO+)
Countess (1600ELO+)
CRFixate (1300ELO+/ADcarries/jungling)
crowsntacos
CyclopSW (1500ELO+)
CynicalEffect
daftroses
Deathsage
Dieox
Docholidae
DragoonZn
TheDramaLlama - [email]mare_tard@gmail.com[/email] (without the underscore because filtering is stupid) - chat/duo
Drewizzle
Druiddroid
EternalLunarian
FapMasterMark
Fauxsuede
Fontolan
funinthesun1
Ganksta21 (jungle/carry/1400ELO+)
Ghostface Ki11ah
Goulmania
Grunuk
Hassurunous
HouroftheHarvest (1200ELO+)
inarihaku
Jarikk
Jewishbanking (udyr/taric/annie/anivia/1400ELO+/those four specific champions)
Keegan320
KiroLink (jungle)
Koukotsu
Kresstor
krynny
lulcatzrevenge (1500ELO+)
Mad Jim8896
Meoark
Messarionovich (1500ELO+/jungle/udyr)
mikeszhang1
Miriagie
MrSinister281
M2tM (1500ELO+)
MYDARKVAMP
Nehgromancer
Nekomeme (jungle)
N00blyRj (rjwebb93@hotmail.com)
Nocturnal Punch (rammus only)
nV Darth (1300ELO+)
NZXTXZN (1100ELO+/jungling/AP/renekton/wants stonewall's jungle help)
OmfgTheSky
Pauliieee
PlasmicSword
Prodigy Shinsaki
Pseudo Weudo (AP/AD carries/junglers)
Ragelegendz
RiotMontag (because he said he'd join if this happened and IT'S HAPPENING LOL)
RobertFreeman
RubyEraser (1200ELO+/everything)
Ryemann (jungle/AP/support)
Saint Seraphiel (1100ELO+/jungle)
Seadawg (singed/corki/annie/anivia/smartcast)
SheepKing (1400ELO+)
Skraedos
StrategicLlama
ThinAir
Thunderclock
TwistedSpaceStar
Ultimaetus
Uneuh
urmamasllama (esp jungle help)
Validan (sharkbait524@hotmail.com)
valk32
Void Slave (counterpicking, lane control, AD carries, jungle malphite LOL)
withloveDizx (skype: gian.dio/steam: himynameisgian)
Wolfie123 (900ELO+/skype at wolfx29)
xCrZyx
Xinthros
Xpressiv
Xrando

Mentors (Willing to help)
Aluana (1200ELO-)
Angloomy (support)
ArAr Rrrr (or Ar Ar Rrrr, try both/EU server/1500ELO-/nibiru1704@hotmail.com)
Astronaut
BinaryReaper
BobOfGoo
Boompje (1300+/jungling/tanks/general)
Cobalt ("brutally honest" :P)
Coffeeee (1600ELO-)
Countess (1600ELO-/ward/laning/AP)
Crimsonbaddie
DemonicTrashcan
Dontkillmek (will carry the **** out of you if that's your cup of tea, up at wee hours of the night)
dorfy
DragonRaider (2100ELO- holy ****ing ****)
DragoonZn
TheDramaLlama (1200ELO-/SINGLE ;D/unavailable - I may or may not be working on a website for this)
Druiddroid (1400ELO-/non-AP)
EcksTeaSea (1300ELO-)
Eframinterrupted (1600ELO-/Lee Sin. Only. Like a boss.)
enderkin (1600ELO-/evenings/SINGLE ;D)
Fancypantsmcgee (1700ELO-/jungle/support/FANCY)
FitterHappier (1900ELO-/skype at calvin.vogstad)
Frosty716 (unranked/level 20 or below)
funkel (mike_48089 on skype/funkel1989@gmail.com HEY I WONDER WHEN THIS GUY WAS BORN)
Fyrepyro (Lee Sin/meleeDPS)
Garvorious (DPS/AP/support/1500ELO-/be nice)
Gill Landbridge
gr1p
Grunuk
Hassurunous
inarihaku
kankle
Konsilol
Koukotsu
krynny
kuramatd (jungle/tank/support)
Leirkov
Meekish
Michiokun
Monsoonz (1500ELO-/jungle/tank/AP/AD)
MostlySilent
Mundoo (1800ELO-)
Nagmolada (AP/support/1500ELO-/mornings/latenight)
Owlord
Raike
Ruichi (1000ELO-)
RustyHunter (Tanks, tanks, tanks, and did I mention tanks?)
Ryemann (jungle/tank/AD)
Sammarian
Seaal (1800ELO-/weekends only)
SheepKing
Silent Reaper
Spearball (or Rocketball, try both) (chat/1500ELO-/udyr/yi/olaf/alistar/urgot)
Stexe (chat)
Stonewall008 (is apparently t3h 1337 famous h@x0rz according to my friends)
Sybaritic (support/tank)
Sylph
TasteMyUMP
the isaiah (1700ELO-)
ThinAir
TiNFoiL
urmamasllama (1200ELO-)
VooDooMommaJuJu (Japan, times a bit screwy, contact for more details)
wallstop (1500+)
WegeeTipsByWegee (1600ELO-)
withloveDizx (1300ELO-/not jungle)
Wonton55
xXenocide (chat, potential 5th alternate/1500ELO-)
Zane896(tank/support)

Quote:
"Llama, you're being stupid, this is going to kill ranked matchmaking even more, encouraging "omgcarrymeplz" mode. RagezzzzzzznubzzzzzFMLFTFY"
For this program, I would recommend people play normal or custom matches with their mentees/mentors until they have moved past a specific point in terms of improvement; that point is up to their mentors to decide.
To be honest though, this may do GREAT things for ranked matchmaking. When is the last time your team actually made smart decisions as to filling in champion roles and coordinating? Instead of the lower-ELO people ragequitting and trolling because people took their carries or picked someone they hate (cough Twitch cough), now they'll have a higher ELO in the same game with them, talking to them and explaining people's choices.
Think of the high-ELO mentor as a rage-prevention machine. After all, most low-ELO rage is caused by lack of understanding.

Quote:
"Omg I want a mentor so I can get out of this **** ELO hell, stupid scrubs keep trolling, I'm like 1500+ ez without these **** trolls and feeders omgyes carrymeplz"
Stop it. You're not that good. Repeat after me: "I belong in my ELO." These mentors are to help you improve, not raise your ELO. That happens naturally as a function of your skill level. I used to think I was t3h 1337sauce too, but I have since come to terms with the fact that my skill level is reasonably represented by my ELO. Realizing this has allowed me to dedicate time to improving my game instead of raging at "the unfair system."

Quote:
"I don't like you. I want another mentor program."
Fine. Go to LoL University (http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=123803) to sign up for some mentor lessons if these awesome people aren't good enough for you. (Just kidding, LolU is an awesome program as well, and they have regularly scheduled practice matches, too. If you're a brand new player, I would definitely recommend them over this thread, as this thread is aimed more at experienced players who want to take things to the next level.)

Quote:
"Why are you even doing this, neckbeard?"
Because it's irritating when you want to improve but don't have the contacts to do so. Let's face it - high ELO players and low ELO players don't usually mix in everyday games.

Quote:
"I want an in-game chat channel. Noob."
Okay.

Hey everyone! So, I've been playing LoL for a pretty long time now, and I've gotten a lot of experience from grinding games and occasionally queuing up with high-ELO friends. However, I feel like I have much more room for improvement, and I don't think I'm really learning from the matches I'm getting queued in right now.

I'm a mid-1200 ELO player who has slowly grinded up from the 800's, but I've been stuck here for a while now and would like to improve my game.

I don't know if anyone else is interested, but I would be very interested in a mentor program, either Riot-driven or community-driven, where high-ELO players "mentor" a low-to-mid-ELO player. This could involve chatting, duo queuing, practice 1v1 mids, etc.

I feel like this would be a great way to build ties within the community and also improve the general gameplay ignorance of low-and-mid-ELO players. (Yes, I'm guilty of it too - at least once a week or so, I learn something completely new about the game. Also, my CS sucks. Consistently.)

Anyway, I guess the easiest way to start this off is by posting IM usernames, emails, or in-game names, depending on how you want to communicate. My email is [email]mare_tard@gmail.com[/email] (without the underscore because filtering is stupid), and my in-game name is TheDramaLlama. If any high-ELO's would be willing to chat with me and possibly duo-queue tonight, feel free to add me on GTalk or in-game.

If you're also interested in this, whether you're a low-to-mid-ELO player looking for tips or a high-ELO player who's willing to mentor, post your info below and I'll start compiling a list here.

Edit again: Unless someone uber-important feels like stickying this, I'll be bumping it about once a day-ish in case anyone else is interested.

Edit yet again: Holy **** this is getting a lot of views. As of now, I am not facilitating communication, just adding names; it is up to you to get in touch with people! That means mentees, add mentors in game and chat them up! Mentors, add mentees in game and chat them up! There is no limit to how many mentees or mentors each person has; heck, we can even do custom 5v5s with everyone here for practice!

Montag

Player Experience Manager

07-07-2011

This is fantastic. I'd love to see something like this happen. In fact, I'd probably join up. (As a mentee.)

Keep up the great work!

TheDramaLlama

07-07-2011

RiotMontag, does that mean I get to add you to the list?

Edit: OH MY GOD IT'S A RED. O_O *phreaks out*

Pie Slice

07-07-2011

we have LoLuniversity with a vent channel and an active chat channel

for more info check thisç

http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=123803

this is community based, we do it for good will and expect no rewards, BUT, if riot implements a coaching program with rewards, I'd be more than willing to enter into it

jaMx

07-07-2011

It would be a lot easier to help mentor people if we had replays!!!!!!!!!!

CaMarshall

07-07-2011

I also wouldnt mind a mentor, im approximately 1400, 1600 max rating but lost alot due to elo decay. Lately Ive been playing really bad so would like some tips on improvement from anyone

RedShard

07-07-2011

Pretty sure high elo players do this already but they charge $20 a hour, so good luck with that.

Pandaris

07-07-2011

Lol GJ dude great idea... / sign

best of luck getting this started up in some way, if its possible

Lower Levels

07-07-2011

I like this idea a lot! I will help in any way I can!

-----Edit July 11th-----
I have taken on one mentee, and so far had a really positive experience with this program!

I can teach basic jungle, tanks, mages, game psychology (<---you need this), different roles, How to adapt and improve team comps, And tips for how to consistently improve your game and many others.

I prefer to do verbal mentoring only a la skype etc. and afternoon/night (weekends)

100% Free!

RobertFreeman

07-07-2011

Sure, add me as a mentee. I am pretty awful at this game, and this might be a good way to get less awful.