The Codex Metallicus: A guide to Mordekaiser.

123456 ... 12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jman69

04-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Sac View Post
couple things:

spirit visage + mercury treads > force of nature
You mean two items are better then one?

Rancid Sac

04-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman69 View Post
You mean two items are better then one?
Clever rebuttal, but those two items cost 240 less than FoN. In addition, they are quicker to build and the benefits are immediate, where as FoN takes long to build. I've had only ONE successful game in which I built FoN, and that was because their team was pure caster and it was TT.

@syeblaze - Try spirit visage + merc treads to start against caster team, this way you can have a good build rather fast. IF they are slaughtering you, just buy a negatron cloak. Negatron + visage = 81 mag resist, healing, and CD reduction all for 1990 gold. Seriously, FoN takes way too long to build....

I'll add you to my friends and tell you what the item is but you can't be telling everyone, because it determines if you're a RIDICULOUS OP mord or a good mord.

SyeBlaze

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-16-2010

Quote:
Clever rebuttal, but those two items cost 240 less than FoN. In addition, they are quicker to build and the benefits are immediate, where as FoN takes long to build. I've had only ONE successful game in which I built FoN, and that was because their team was pure caster and it was TT.

@syeblaze - Try spirit visage + merc treads to start against caster team, this way you can have a good build rather fast. IF they are slaughtering you, just buy a negatron cloak. Negatron + visage = 81 mag resist, healing, and CD reduction all for 1990 gold. Seriously, FoN takes way too long to build....

I'll add you to my friends and tell you what the item is but you can't be telling everyone, because it determines if you're a RIDICULOUS OP mord or a good mord.
Yay, more cryptic statements...

I'll bite, when I can. Gonna be at work and other stuff all day.

GuyGin

04-16-2010

Morde really likes CDR and Mpen.

I like FoN sometimes, because of the move speed if nothing else (though zeal is another cheaper option...).

My build is usually:
Dorans Shield
Boots 1
Spirit Visage
Boots 2 (generally tabi or merc)
Haunting Guise

Last item sort of depends on the team Legion, Guardian Angel, Warden Mail.

I always keep 1 slot open for Elixirs and wards. If the game goes long I'll get a 2nd big defensive item and sell the dorans (Red + Blue elixir are far better).

I may try the Frozen Mallet but it has so much hp I am turned off by it.

Churchy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Friend of Urf

04-16-2010

Quote:
Next, build Haunting Guise. Since the change to giving it Magic Life Steal, it has become a must have for Mordekaiser. His W allows him to sit in the middle of a creep wave an heal to full. His E is almost free, and his q is more than free. Also, with this and runes, you have 30 magic penetration. This magic number means all your attacks do full damage to most champions that don't stack magic resist (Mordekaiser and Soraka number among the exceptions to this rule). You will notice the moment you don the Guise, all your attacks are hitting 25% harder at least.

Mordekaisers siphon will do 255 damage with a haunting guise.
At 5% spellvamp, that makes it require 5.6 targets hit to be an EVEN amount of health gain. Considering in a team fight you will only hit 5 tops (Unless they have summoned pets and LOVE CLUMPING)

For Mace of Spades, 100 bonus damage that hits 3 extra targets for a total of 400 damage will give you 20 health at the cost of 50.

For Creeping death, you need to hit 12 targets with ticks, which is basically standing next to two targets for the full duration, in order to get an even health gain.
"Healing to full in a creep wave" is a bit of a stretch considering if you can get all 6 ticks of the level 5 shield off on 6 targets (size of a creep wave iirc?), you get a total of 104.8 health back.

Maybe my math is wrong or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works, but your idea of haunting guise seems to be way off from what I can see. Again, I may be wrong, but from the math it hardly looks worth it, considering you could get a spirit visage for less and do more.

If my math is right (feel free to tell me it's wrong because it may be) then his w won't heal you to full, his q's cost will be cut in half at best, and his e's cost will be negated at 6 targets hit.

GeneralSpank1231

04-16-2010

Quote:

z0mg! Wut will you do if he tells!?

Nothing. This isn't preschool, lol.

Anyways, good build. The only other item I recommend is Trinity Force. It gives you an amazing boost in damage, movement speed, and some attack speed.

SyeBlaze

04-16-2010

[QUOTE=Churchy;1056194]Mordekaisers siphon will do 255 damage with a haunting guise.
At 5% spellvamp, that makes it require 5.6 targets hit to be an EVEN amount of health gain. Considering in a team fight you will only hit 5 tops (Unless they have summoned pets and LOVE CLUMPING)

For Mace of Spades, 100 bonus damage that hits 3 extra targets for a total of 400 damage will give you 20 health at the cost of 50.

For Creeping death, you need to hit 12 targets with ticks, which is basically standing next to two targets for the full duration, in order to get an even health gain.
"Healing to full in a creep wave" is a bit of a stretch considering if you can get all 6 ticks of the level 5 shield off on 6 targets (size of a creep wave iirc?), you get a total of 104.8 health back.

Maybe my math is wrong or I have a fundamental misunderstanding of how it works, but your idea of haunting guise seems to be way off from what I can see. Again, I may be wrong, but from the math it hardly looks worth it, considering you could get a spirit visage for less and do more.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyGin View Post

I may try the Frozen Mallet but it has so much hp I am turned off by it.
That mentality is not always healthy, but I suppose you get the idea.
Health is not always a good thing.

EDIT:
Yea, did the math:

you get 49 health per enemy with Siphon (not counting magic resist or AP)
4 per enemy per second with creeping death
5 per enemy hit with Mace (unless it's more than just the bonus damage that is magic)

However, make note that this is increased by Spirit Visage as far as I know

So, Healing to full is a slight exageration. However, you can still get a good amount of healing by popping creeping death and standing in a creep wave for a few seconds (about 24 health per second, actually if you get all six creeps, which is better than what you'll get with regeneration)

Add that to a massive regeneration, and it works rather well as a way to heal yourself.

Also, make note that the best part of guise is the magic penetration.

Solarious

04-16-2010

Frankly, Haunting Guise is more of a sustainability item for full casters, and it doesn't achieve that for Mordekaiser, because he actually uses that same life he's stealing to fuel his abilities, and just about everyone with at least a third of their brain still inside their skull wants to buy health regeneration items for Mordekaiser in the first place to keep abusing that. The health regeneration you'll get from a core of Warden's and Spirit Visage will serve your health regeneration needs very well, and you really should spend that thousand gold on something that either contributes to Mordekaiser more effectively.

I haven't tried Trinity Force on Morde before, largely because of wasted gold on mana, but I'll give it a spin the next time I have that kind of gold to play around with. Zeal's increased movement speed sounds useful anyways.

GuyGin

04-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solarious View Post
Frankly, Haunting Guise is more of a sustainability item for full casters, and it doesn't achieve that for Mordekaiser, because he actually uses that same life he's stealing to fuel his abilities, and just about everyone with at least a third of their brain still inside their skull wants to buy health regeneration items for Mordekaiser in the first place to keep abusing that. The health regeneration you'll get from a core of Warden's and Spirit Visage will serve your health regeneration needs very well, and you really should spend that thousand gold on something that either contributes to Mordekaiser more effectively.
The biggest problem with Haunting Guise is peoples perception of it. It probably used to be better, but it is still one of the most appropriate ways to increase Morde's Damage.

Having 20 mpen is huge. With the 9 pt from offensive mastery giving you something like 4-10 mpen depending on the enemy's MR, 8-13 from runes. Getting that extra 20 can be enough to bring enemies that don't stack mres down to zero, which makes a substantial difference in Morde's damage.

Admittedly, it was probably better when it gave mregen and cdr, but it is still the most appropriate way to get more mpen.

In extremely long games, you can probably justify going Abyssal if the enemy team is heavily casters (if not though, prob best to stay with guise). Void staff is very hard to justify in my eyes, as it is so heavy on AP which morde gets little out of.

That really leaves you with either chosing Sorc boots or Guise in terms of keeping you offensive, and I would argue that Guise is better because Merc Treads and Tabi give you two essential things you don't get from other places on morde (dodge and cc redux, in addition to armor which synergizes with his shield).

People seem to act like the only point to guise is the spell vamp, whereas I think the more appropriate thing on it is the spell pen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyeBlaze View Post
That mentality is not always healthy, but I suppose you get the idea.
Health is not always a good thing.
Health is not a bad thing on morde, but when compared with Armor and Mres it is clearly a sub-par stat because it doesn't effect your shield. It just makes me wary of items where you are paying 50% of it to get a ton of health.

I like the idea of Mallet as a slow, but it just seems excessive to pay 3.2k gold for a slow and a bunch of health.

P.S. When that new shield comes out with CDR, It will be a second buy imo with spirit visage... when is that thing coming?

Rancid Sac

04-16-2010

Hmm, i was surprised, i just got ANNIHILATED by a mord that built leviathin then thornmail hah... his team was much more coordinated than mine but he ripped me to pieces.

123456 ... 12