[Guide] Janna - Babysittin' like a boss!

First Riot Post
12345 ... 10
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zirun

04-12-2010

Janna, The Storm's Fury - Babysittin' like a boss!

In this guide, I will be going over how I build and play Janna in a 5v5 setting, as the amazing support champion she is.

Updated 9-22-2010! Added new champion ratings, moved some around, added new items.

Table of Contents:
0: Who Am I?
I: Lore
II: The Playstyle
III: Stats
IV: Abilities
V: Ability Build
VI: Runes and Masteries
VII: Item Build
VIII: How To Play
IX: Special Considerations

-----------------------------------------
0: Who Am I?

My name is Zirun. I've been playing LoL since late closed beta, and I am an avid support (especially Janna) player. I have played over 300 Normal games with Janna, almost all as the support build I will be going over in this guide, and continue playing her in Ranked games. Currently I am in the top 500 in Ranked Solo Queue, with Janna being my most played. You may be able to catch me in some streamed games at clgaming.net, too!

I: Lore

Quote:
There are those sorcerers who give themselves over to the primal powers of nature. Originally an orphan growing up in the chaos that is the city of Zaun, Janna eked out what living she could on the streets. Life was tough for the beautiful young girl on her own. The rampant magic that characterizes Zaun was the first and most alluring tool which Janna realized could both protect and elevate her. As many magicians do, she discovered that she had an affinity for a particular type of magic - the elemental magic of air. She mastered her studies of air magic in a matter of months, almost as if she was born of it. Janna went from a street vagrant to an avatar of the air virtually overnight. Seeking to right the injustice in the world, particularly the insanity that has become the city of Zaun, Janna has brought her ethereal skills to the League of Legends.

''Do not be captivated by Janna's beauty. Like the wind, she is one gust away from terrible destruction.''
II: The Playstyle

The role you will be playing by following this guide, should you choose to accept it, is to get a single ally as strong as possible. You will do this by pressuring your opponents in lane, harassing them, allowing your ally to free-farm, and every once in a while getting a kill on an enemy champion. You will be using Janna's immense early-game power to overwhelm the opponent(s) in your lane, hopefully giving your team enough of an advantage to make up for your generally poor scaling into late-game.

The main drawback of this strategy is that, by letting your ally take as many minion kills as possible, you generally don't have a lot of gold. However, this is a good thing! Allies that scale better can use the gold much more effectively than you can!

When playing, you will frequently be darting in and out of combat to throw gales, shield allies, and occasionally slow and autoattack an enemy. You will be foiling ganks, rescuing allies from the brink of death, and giving an allied carry a sweet, sweet +50 damage!

III: Stats

Quote:
Health: 356 (+78/level)
Mana: 302 (+64/level)
Move Speed: 310 (+3%)
Armor: 9 (+3.8/level)
Magic Resist: 30 (+0/level)
Critical Strike Chance: 2% (+0.25%/level)
Health Regen: 0.9 Health/s (+0.11/level)
Mana Regen: 0.88 Mana/s (+0.08/level)
Range: 475
(Untested, taken from the game database)
Base damage: 49 (+?/level)

IV: Abilities

Passive: Tailwind -
Quote:
Increases the movement speed of all allied champions by 3%.
Q: Howling Gale -
Quote:
Janna summons a mighty whirlwind, which she can release to deal 60/85/110/135/160 (+0.75) + 20/30/40/50/60 (for each second it charges) magic damage to all targets in it's path, in addition to knocking them into the air. The distance traveled by the whirlwind increases for each second it channels.
Cooldown: 14/13/12/11/10 seconds
Cost: 80/95/110/125/140 Mana
Range: (Unscientifically tested) 600 (+100/s)

W - Zephyr -
Quote:
Passive: Increases Janna's movement speed by 8/10/12/14/16%, and allows her to move through units.

Active: Janna launches her elemental at the target dealing 60/115/170/225/280 (+0.8) magic damage, and slowing their movement speed by 24/30/36/42/48% for 4 seconds.
Cooldown: 12/11/10/9/8 seconds
Cost: 40/50/60/70/80 Mana
Range: 600

E - Eye of the Storm -
Quote:
Janna shields her target, absorbing 80/120/160/200/240 (+0.9) damage and buffs them, increasing their attack damage by 14/23/32/41/50 for 5 seconds (can target Turrets).
Cooldown: 10 seconds
Cost: 60/70/80/90/100 Mana
Range: 800

R - Monsoon -
Quote:
Janna knocks surrounding enemies back and channels healing winds, restoring 70/110/150 (+0.35) health to nearby allies each second for 4 seconds. Enemies that re-enter the storm have their movement speed slowed by 30%.
Cooldown: 120 seconds
Cost: 200/275/350 Mana
Range: 725

V: Ability Build

1 - Eye of the Storm (E)
2 - Howling Gale (Q) -or- Zephyr (W)
3 - Eye of the Storm (E)
4 - Zephyr (W) -or- Howling Gale (Q)
5 - Eye of the Storm (E)
6 - Monsoon (R)
7 - Eye of the Storm (E)
8 - Zephyr (W)
9 - Eye of the Storm (E, Maxed)
10 - Zephyr (W)
11 - Zephyr (W)
12 - Zephyr (W, Maxed)
13 - Monsoon (R)
14 - Howling Gale (Q)
15 - Howling Gale (Q)
16 - Monsoon (R, Maxed)
17 - Howling Gale (Q)
18 - Howling Gale (Q, Maxed)

This is the general order I choose my abilities in. For level 2/4, I choose Q or W depending on the situation, but most of the time I choose to level Q at 2 and W at 4.

Every once in a while (usually if the champion I'm laning with is not a physical DPS champion), I will max out W instead of E first. If I'm laned with an Annie, let's say, the extra damage and slow on Zephyr can be a lot more useful than the extra health/damage from Eye of the Storm. If you do this, though, you'll have to be more careful when harassing (only 80 health on the shield, instead of 120, 160, 200, or 240).

As for summoner spells, you could go with almost any of them for Janna. I used to run with Exhaust/Ignite for early kills and to shut down carries/healers in teamfights (adding to my utility). Lately I've been running Ghost/Flash or Ghost/Cleanse so I almost never die. It's also a good idea to look at what spells your allies are taking, and fill in any gaps with Clairvoyance, Fortify, Teleport, Clarity, Heal, Rally, etc.

Quote:
I stay away from Flash, because it has three purposes: Escaping, initiation, and chasing. Janna is already amazing at escaping and chasing. Using it to initiate with Monsoon puts you in huge danger, especially since this is not a tank build (if you were to build really tanky, though, I could see Flash being very useful for initiating).
VI: Runes and Masteries

For runes, I go with the following:

Red Marks: -x- (Armor Penetration)
Yellow Seals: MP5/level (+16.2 mana regen/5 at level 18)
Blue Glyphs: Cooldown Reduction/level (-8.1% cooldowns at level 18) -or- MP5/level (12.9 mana regen/5 at level 18)
Quintessences: Flat health (+97.2 health)

I left marks blank because, really, there's no real useful primary marks for a support Janna, so it's up to you. I use Armor Penetration for better early harassment and tower pushing, but you could go with AP, AP/level, mana regen, CDR, basically anything you want or need to fill any tiny gaps.

I choose CDR/level glyphs over flat CDR because Janna's mana costs are fairly high, so I won't be able to really spam abilities during the laning phase. Regen from items (as well as my seals) will give me the mana regen I need late-game to make use of the reduced cooldowns.

For masteries, I go with 1/8/21.

The point in offense is for Cripple (Improved Exhaust, this can go into Hardiness, or whatever summoner ability you're using [Flash mastery, Clarity mastery, Heal mastery, etc.]).

The 8 in defense are for:
Resistance (x3) Hardiness (x2)
Strength of Spirit (x3)

The 21 utility are:
Perseverance (x3) Good Hands (x1)
Awareness (x4) Expanded Mind (x2)
Greed (x1) Meditation (x3)
Quickness (x3)
Intelligence (x3)
Presence of the Master (x1)

This gives good mana regen, cooldown reduction, a little increase to speed and defense, and a very nice increase to health regeneration.

VII: Item Build

This part is fairly open-ended. First, I'll go over what a support Janna build needs, then I'll say what items I specifically choose.

1) Cooldown Reduction

Cooldown reduction is easily the most important part of a support Janna build. You should always max it (or come as close to maxing it) as possible. Having not one but two allies shielded and with +50 damage is an amazing help in team fights, and throwing more gales makes it easier to chase, flee, and disrupt enemies in general.

2) Mana/Mana Regen

Mana and mana regen are needed because Janna has fairly high mana costs, and you're completely useless if you can't cast your spells. That said, you likely won't need more than one mana and one mana regen item to be good in this department if you have mana regen from your runes and masteries. If you don't have mana regen runes and masteries, you'll likely need a mana regen item (like Nashor's) AND a Chalice of Harmony in order to constantly spam your abilities.

3) Survivability

The last of the important things is survivability. You're not a huge target when it comes to teamfights, but you need to be able to survive the AoE attacks that are inevitably going to be thrown around, so that you can use all of your abilities as often as possible to help your team out. Again, you don't need much, but Janna is one of the most fragile champions in the game, so you'll need some.

All that done with, this is the item build I go with:
1) Sapphire Crystal + 2 Health Potions -or- Doran's Ring + 1 Health Potion
2) Catalyst the Protector
3) Boots of Speed -> Boots of Mobility or Mercury's Treads (first full item)
4) Fiendish Codex
5) Stinger -> Nashor's Tooth (second full item)
6) Banshee's Veil (third full item)

Quote:
OPTIONAL/ALTERNATIVE ITEMS: WARDS, Leviathan (the earlier the better), Mejai's Soulstealer (earlier = better!), Chalice of Harmony, Aegis of the Legion (tanks are better off getting this, though), Mana Manipulator, Soul Shroud (if no CDR from runes/masteries, this + another item will get your max CDR), Stark's Fervor, Will of the Ancients, Frozen Heart, Spirit Visage, Guardian Angel, Quicksilver Sash, Warden's Mail, Randuin's Omen, Kindlegem, Shurelya's Reverie, Oracle's Elixir.
You now have three spots full (giving you mana, mana regen, maxed cooldown reduction with runes + masteries, and survivability), and three spots for whatever else is necessary. By this time, the game is likely over (if you follow the how to play section below) At this point, in addition to the optional items, you may want to consider triple potting (Elixirs of Fortitude, Agility [or whatever the green one's called], Brilliance), as those give huge bang for their cost.

I regularly deviate from the above build if my team has an item they'd like me to build (like Stark's or Aegis) or if I need survivability over CDR (in which case I skip Nashor's and stack Doran's Shields/Rings and finish Banshee's before working on CDR).

Quote:
Regarding Mejai's Soulstealer: I know I said before that AP isn't exactly great on Janna. However, Mejai's is EXTREMELY cost-efficient with just a few stacks, and you should easily be getting lots of assists and a few kills with relatively few deaths, making it worth it.
Quote:
Regarding Nashor's Tooth: I choose it over other methods of CDR (like Frozen Heart), because it gives mana regen, gives my spells a little bit more oomph, and lets me push and farm (lol) quite a bit better. I choose it over Frozen Heart because I'm out of range of enemy ranged DPS most of the battle, so I can't make as much use out of it as, say, a tank can.
Quote:
Regarding Boots of Mobility: BoM are my normal boots. I like being able to get to places quickly. It makes Janna great at planting wards, foiling ganks, and chasing down opponents. I choose BoM over other boots (most games) because I'm not usually targeted actively by the enemies, so I don't need defensive boots. If, however, you are frequently getting attacked, you may want to consider Mercury's Treads (especially) or Ninja Tabi.
VIII: How To Play

1) Pregame - Choosing a lane partner

Generally, you want to lane with a physical DPS champion. Some (Ashe, Shaco, Tryndamere, etc.) are much better than others (Master Yi, Sivir, Twitch, etc.). You generally want somebody who has abilities that scale with damage to be in your lane (Ashe has Volley, Shaco has Deceive + Two-Shiv Poison), and melee is generally better than ranged (because melee have a harder time farming). I included Sivir in the 'not-so-good' category because she farms very well without your help. If you can't lane with a physical DPS champion, choose somebody with high damage potential (Ryze, Annie) or one who isn't very good at farming but needs items (Amumu, Poppy)

Summary: Lane with somebody who is optimally
1) Melee
2) A Physical DPS champion
3) Has trouble farming
4) Can do a lot of damage with items

Laning Partner ratings: (This is out of date and I probably won't update them anymore, but the general ideas in the quotes remains the same.)
Great - Ashe, Ezreal, Garen, Jax, Miss Fortune, Pantheon, Urgot, Xin Zhao

Quote:
With Jax being nerfed (no longer is healed by Eye of the Storm), he's lowered enough for a few other champions to get on his level. These champions create extremely strong lanes. Your partner can freefarm, and if the enemy or enemies get too close, you can easily take them on 2v2.

Good
- Corki, Dr. Mundo, Gangplank, Gragas, Katarina, Master Yi, Nidalee, Olaf, Poppy, Shaco, Sion, Tryndamere, Twisted Fate, Twitch, Udyr

Quote:
These champions generally do really well early game, or have an ability (or 2) that scale off of their physical damage (which benefits hugely from Eye of the Storm). They're in alphabetical, but Twisted Fate, Gragas, Twitch, and Dr. Mundo are probably the best of the group.

Average
- Akali, Anivia, Annie, Blitzcrank, Cho'Gath, Fiddlesticks, Galio, Karthus, Kassadin, Kennen, Malzahar, Nunu, Rammus, Ryze, Singed, Sivir, Teemo, Tristana, Zilean

Quote:
These champions in general don't benefit too much from Eye of the Storm, but many of them have good harassment and early games. Some of them are great farmers without your help, and that's why champions like Sivir and Tristana are here and not Good.

Bad
- Amumu, Heimerdinger, Kayle, Malphite, Mordekaiser, Morgana, Nasus, Shen, Vladimir

Quote:
These champions very rarely use Eye of the Storm's damage boost, and don't have the early-game damage needed to harass/kill enemy champions effectively. Kayle, though a good carry, doesn't need the help of a Janna because she has her own heal and strong lane presence.

Horrible
- Alistar, Evelynn, Sona, Soraka, Taric, Veigar, Warwick

Quote:
These champions are far better off in other places. Alistar, Taric, Sona, and Soraka should be laning with people who need healing. Evelynn should be laning with somebody with high burst damage and some CC in order to get early kills. Warwick should be in the jungle. Veigar... well, not much to say about Veigar. He's not physical, and can't really benefit much from your help.
Quote:
SUPPORT JANNA DOES NOT SOLO MID UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

2) Early game - Establishing your presence
2v2: 2v2's are the most difficult to deal with. You need to look at the two champions opposing you, and who is with you, and figure out whether or not you can pressure them enough. Here's some guidelines:

1) If one or both of the enemies have heals that can be cast on allies, abort pressure.
2) If one or both of the enemies is extremely strong early-game (Kayle, Ezreal, etc., or somebody with an Elixir of Fortitude), or they're both hard to harass effectively (Mordekaiser, Fiddlesticks, etc.), abort pressure.

If, after looking at the enemies, you have not aborted the pressure, then here's what you do. Firstly, decide which one you'll go after. Generally, you'll want to focus on the one that has the least survivability or the most damage potential. If one of the enemies has a heal that can only be used on his or herself (Nunu, Fiddlesticks), do NOT choose that one.

After you have decided which champion to pressure, make the brush your home. You will use the brush to drop the aggro from nearby creeps and keep enemies from retaliating your harassment. The idea is, when they're going to attack/last hit/harass, you use Eye of the Storm on yourself and then autoattack the enemy, using Zephyr and Howling Gale as you feel is appropriate (if they're available). You want the enemies to be scared of you so they back off. If they aren't scared of you alone, and your lane partner is ranged or has a closing ability (like Jax or Master Yi), you can shield them and have them join in on the harassment.

If you're doing a good job with the harassment, you can keep both of the enemies in the lane from getting a significant amount of creep kills, deny them some experience, and give the ally you're laning with (who, remember, needs lots of gold to do well!) a really high amount of creeps kills, potentially even the most of anybody in the game!

During this time, as long as your ally is around and able to last hit, you should be letting them get as many as possible. We're basing this build around very low gold income, and your ally will use the gold better than you can in 99.99% of cases. There are some games where I barely reach double digits in creep kills (IN A FULL GAME), and it's not because I suck at killing creeps (even though I do, but that's why I play this way! ~_~).

So, in summary:
Quote:
1) If the enemies are pressurable (no heals, no danger of being killed, enemies aren't early-game super beasts), PRESSURE THEM AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE.
2) Let your ally get as many creep kills as possible. Feel free to get any ones they can't get, though!
3) Use Eye of the Storm frequently on yourself (or your ally) when harassing to keep from taking damage.
4) Use the nearby brush to stop enemy champions and minions from attacking you.
In the case that the opponents are difficult to harass (Nidalee, Soraka, Taric, Kayle, etc.), keep the focus on getting your ally last hits, but use the shield on them instead of you, and don't go too far out of your way to harass. It's not usually going to hurt them, but it might hurt you!

Lane Enemy Ratings:
(This is out of date and I probably won't update them anymore, but the general ideas in the quotes remains the same.)

Great - Amumu, Master Yi, Poppy, Rammus, Singed, Tryndamere, Warwick

Quote:
These enemies are the easiest to deal with. They're melee, they can't harass very well, and they are generally easy to push out of a lane. Singed is here because Howling Gale and Zephyr make it extremely easy to prevent him from using Fling on you or your ally.

Good
- Akali, Anivia, Annie, Ashe, Corki, Evelynn, Ezreal, Galio, Gangplank, Gragas, Heimerdinger, Kassadin, Katarina, Kennen, Malphite, Malzahar, Mordekaiser, Olaf, Pantheon, Shaco, Sivir, Tristana, Twitch, Veigar, Vladimir

Quote:
These champions either don't have the damage to break Eye of the Storm without causing themselves serious harm from your damage, or they are extremely fragile (like Ashe and Ezreal) and easy to force out of a lane despite being able to counter-harass you well. Some of them, like Anivia, take more skill to outlane, due to having good damage as well as CC. These champions you should be able to force out of a lane, but it will take a fair amount of work to do so.

Average
- Garen, Jax, Karthus, Miss Fortune, Morgana, Nasus, Sion, Twisted Fate

Quote:
These champions are typically stronger laners than Good opponents, and some of them could be considered Bad or even Horrible if you can't dodge their skillshots. Most of them also have solid CC or damage that makes harassing much more dangerous.

Bad
- Alistar, Blitzcrank, Cho'Gath, Shen, Teemo, Udyr, Urgot, Xin Zhao, Zilean

Quote:
Alistar's heal makes it very difficult to harass, but he's Bad and not Horrible because it is fairly easy to run him out of mana. Cho'Gath is also very difficult to harass due to his passive, and his CCs make him somewhat dangerous to approach and harass. Udyr's Turtle Stance makes harassing him mostly ineffective. Urgot has extremely high early game damage. Xin Zhao also has a fairly strong early game and is difficult to harass. His ultimate does huge damage, making him impossible to harass post-6. Zilean's early-game is strong, like yours, so you have to be much more careful around him, despite him being fairly squishy. You shouldn't give up harassing these enemies, but you have to be much more cautious when doing so, as these champions can easily either turn the harassment around on you or feel virtually no effect from it.

Horrible
- Dr. Mundo, Fiddlesticks, Kayle, Nidalee, Nunu, Sona, Soraka, Taric

Quote:
And here come the healers! Most of these champions will be nearly impossible to push out of a lane without putting yourself in extreme danger. However, Kayle and Nidalee are fairly easy to harass and, with enough persistence, will eventually go. Dr. Mundo is very dangerous early game and, once he gets to level 6, will be extremely hard to do anything against. Fiddlesticks is also dangerous early, but can, from level 1 drain, ignore your harassment. Nunu is both dangerous and has a heal, and Soraka, Sona and Taric are nearly impossible to harass effectively without putting yourself in extreme danger. If you have one of these in your lane, consider giving up on the harassment, because it could very well not be worth the effort. That said, you should still try and keep pressure on them! Allowing enemies to basically free-farm is never a good thing!
If I've missed any champions in either list, let me know and I'll add them! The lists are also subject to change, as I've simply thrown them together based on my gut feelings about each one. =P

2v1: This is the best situation for Janna early-game. This is where the opposing team has a jungler (or an irregular strategy), so they have only one person going up against you and a teammate.

Quote:
In this case, I only have one sentence I really need to say: HARASS THE ENEMY TO THE DEPTHS OF HELL.
There should be no end to your harassment of that single champion, no matter who it is (with the exception of maybe Fiddlesticks, you can take on basically anybody solo early game). Keep them from getting last hits, and keep them from getting XP! Make sure your lane partner ONLY last hits, and you can deny the opponent a lot of experience. Just follow what I said in the 2v2 section, ignoring the parts about aborting harassment if the opponents don't suit it.

If you and your lane partner are doing an amazing job of controlling the lane, it's possible to keep the solo enemy the same level as you, and keep them from getting any creep kills at all! And, since they're the same level as you, they'll be much easier to kill! And, trust me, nothing's more fun than making an enemy go 0/1/0 at level 5 with 0 creep kills when you and your lane partner are both level 6!

So, in summary:

Quote:
1) HARASS, HARASS, HARASS, REGARDLESS OF WHO YOU'RE FACING.

1v2: This situation shouldn't come up often. You have a jungler, or some other weird circumstance, and now you're soloing against two people. Generally, you should try and get somebody else to solo, as Janna is at her best early game and scales relatively poorly past level 9. If, however, you're forced to solo against two people, you can't be aggressive.

You need to stay by your tower, using Eye of the Storm to stop both yourself and the tower from taking too much damage. You need to keep the creeps by your tower. You need to get an ally or two to come gank your lane. This is probably the worst situation you can be in, as you lose a lot of your early game potential by taking gold for yourself and not giving it to an ally that can use it better!

Howling Gale makes for decent harass in this situation, and can keep creeps off your tower for just a little bit longer due to the knockup.

So, in summary:

Quote:
1) Play defensively. Stay by your tower. You can use Howling Gale to harass opponents and delay the enemy creeps, as well as snag the occasional last hit.

1v1: Since you're not soloing mid, this situation will very rarely arise, where both teams have a jungler (or some other situation), and you're soloing a side lane against another solo. In this case, you generally want to be aggressive, except people that have both strong damage potential and healing (the only two that fit into this category that I can think of are Nidalee and Fiddlesticks. The rest either have healing but low damage or high damage but no healing).

3) Mid-game and Late-game - Using the advantage

By mid-game, there are likely a few towers down, and people are starting to leave the lanes more frequently. At this point, you want to stalk, literally stalk, an allied carry. Follow them around, helping them get buffs, kill creeps (but don't take them yourself, if possible!), buffing them with your maxed out Eye of the Storm.

The ally you laned with should (hopefully) have a lot of creep kills, and possible a champion kill/assist or two, depending on how it went. If you're successful, that extra B.F. Sword or that early Infinity Edge should make a huge difference in mid-game fights, which in turn leads to success in late-game fights and eventually a win!

When your team engages in a fight with the other team, try to stay next to a ranged carry (if you have one) or the other main damage dealers. If any enemy gets dangerously close, you can use Monsoon to push them away, use Howling Gale knock them up, or use Zephyr to slow their advance. By this point, you should have at least some CDR, so you can even use Eye of the Storm at two people at the same time, alternating casting on both of them for up to 167% uptime!

There's not much difference in what you do mid and late-game. Hug your ranged allies and toss your abilities at the enemies that need to be killed/pushed away/disabled, and use Eye of the Storm on allied physical DPS champions.

IX: Special Considerations: This section is for random information I couldn't really find a place for anywhere, but I feel is important to mention.

AoE abilities:
AoE ults are frequently devastating. They're what LoL nightmares are made of. However, Janna is one of the few champions that can counter a majority of them! If the enemy team has a Fiddlesticks, Nunu, Katarina, or any other champion with a strong AoE ability, consider saving Monsoon for them. By using Monsoon when they use their AoE ultimate, you can push them away, significantly reducing (or even completely negating) the entire ultimate!

"JANNA, WHY THE **** DID YOU DO THAT?!": You'll mess up some times. You'll use your ultimate and knock enemies away that have low health. You'll knock enemies out of your allied Nunu's ultimate. You want to limit this as much as possible, but you also need to take into consideration enemies' AoE ultimates. Knocking away that Crowstorming Fiddlesticks is likely a lot more important than knocking one or two people out of your Nunu's ultimate! You'll also have to realize (and your teammates will, too) that nobody is perfect, and sometimes we use abilities in the wrong place or at the wrong time. You'll have to just accept it and move on. Raging at teammates doesn't get you anywhere but closer to a loss.

Wards and Oracle's: You may not think of this, but Oracle's Elixir is a great item to get in a lot of games, even if the opponents don't have a stealth champion. Since Janna is fast, has many escapes, and is item independent, she makes an excellent carrier for Oracle's. Oracle's makes a great counter to wards (and other forms of scouting, like Teemo's mushrooms), reducing your opponents' vision of the map. Think about it this way: If you didn't have Oracle's, your opponents would know where you are and you wouldn't know that they know. Having Oracle's not only removes their vision, but also lets you know that they can see you, letting you prepare for a possible engagement!

That is all for now! I'll likely be adding more and revising this guide in the future, so if you have any feedback or suggestions, feel free to let me know!

Thanks for reading!

Gumb E

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2010

Last thing first: yes, I did read it.

You mentioned the playstyle twice, as part III and also as part IV mark 2.

You might want to tell people what you're using for Quints.

How do you people find out a champion's EXACT numbers down to the decimal points? There's a spreadsheet I keep that would really benefit from me being able to get those numbers. Currently it has Janna's armor listed as 11, I think, and has higher numbers listed for starting HP and mana as well. The wiki and the website are frequently outdated, and testing in-game shows 2, 1, or sometimes ZERO decimal places, depending on which stat you're looking at.

EDIT: For now I'm revising Janna's entry to reflect what you have posted, since you seem to be extremely knowledgeable about her in particular, but I'd still really like to know where people get their information.

I really like the playstyle, though. The most recent Janna with whom I played was a weirdo attack DPS build and, while not useless, certainly wasn't much help to the team once out of the laning phase, though she was good at halting and taking out runners. (and often dying herself soon after, lol) Seeing this made me want to try out Janna for myself and try to be a team player. I will certainly try your way first! Thanks!
------
Last edit I swear: I think I see what happened. The armor value I wrote down is the actual armor a player has at level 1. Having a 7.4 base + 3.8 "per level" means at level 1 Janna had about 11 armor. I'm not sure I want to revise the spreadsheet... it currently shows what a character would actually have at level 1, not the "base" value that, behind the scenes, already gets 3.8 added to it when you start the game. Then it multiplies the "per level" value by 17 and adds that in to determine what a character would actually have at level 18. This explains why I sometimes see minor discrepancies when other post information, and now I'll need to go over the whole thing and make sure that I'm consistently showing either a character's real level 1 stats and adding 17 levels to the end-game total, or their "base" values and instead adding 18 levels to the end-game total.

I know that has nothing to do with your guide, but thanks to your guide I now have that minor annoyance figured out. I'll chime in with something more on-topic when I've had a chance to try this out, babysit my friend's Master Yi, and comment on how it went.
------
I notice that you don't mention Archangel's Staff, which is usually a core part of my item build on spammy low-CD characters like Soraka and Karthus. Have you tried it before, and found it to be unimpressive for your playstyle?

Rawrified

04-13-2010

Although I am not as high up as you guys..
i Completely Agree with this guide haha =D
i hope to follow this and make myself a better Janna player as she is my favorite character on LoL and i hope to continue playing her for a long time

currently, im at 444 assists with her lol

Cheers to Janna players woot !

Zirun

04-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumb E View Post
Last thing first: yes, I did read it.

You mentioned the playstyle twice, as part III and also as part IV mark 2.

You might want to tell people what you're using for Quints.

How do you people find out a champion's EXACT numbers down to the decimal points? There's a spreadsheet I keep that would really benefit from me being able to get those numbers. Currently it has Janna's armor listed as 11, I think, and has higher numbers listed for starting HP and mana as well. The wiki and the website are frequently outdated, and testing in-game shows 2, 1, or sometimes ZERO decimal places, depending on which stat you're looking at.

I notice that you don't mention Archangel's Staff, which is usually a core part of my item build on spammy low-CD characters like Soraka and Karthus. Have you tried it before, and found it to be unimpressive for your playstyle?
Haha, nice catch! I must have accidentally copied the playstyle section when I was transferring it to a word file (just in case!).

And I'm using the same quints everybody else is using (lol), so I guess I forgot to put those in, too. =P

I just copied the numbers from the game database. I'll be gathering the numbers myself some time soon to make sure they're accurate!

I don't really need Archangel's for a number of reasons. I rarely run out of mana past mid-game (hurray, mp5/level runes, Catalyst and Nashor's Tooth!), so the mana and mana regen is provides would basically be useless 90% of the time. The AP on it, while useful, doesn't justify the huge cost, though, imo, considering I only average ~7k gold per game which is basically eaten up by Nashor's, Banshee's, Boots, and wards + pots. Even in a really long game, I think I'd be better off getting something like Abyssal Scepter or Guinsoo's Rageblade, though I haven't encountered a game that went on that long in a long while (especially since I farm badly!).

Gumb E

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-13-2010

The game database, in the past, was usually a patch or two behind. Red posters indicated that Riot was discussing the possibility of making the game database draw directly from their files, thus keeping it up-to-date. I've kinda been waiting for them to announce/implement that... but I'm taking a look at the items and champions that were changed in 1.0.0.82, and they seem to have been correctly updated to reflect the changes.

Being able to trust/rely on the numbers in the LoL g.d. would be most satisfying, as the wiki is in a very sorry state.

Also, hilarious that you included a "JANNA, WHY THE **** DID YOU DO THAT?!" section. I've seen/heard alistar players getting told that all the time. I'll play as smart as I can, but I know it's gonna make me laugh when a teammate finally says that to me and I'm reminded of your post.

Brontobeuf

04-13-2010

Well constructed & convincing guide dude.
I will try it and give you my conclusions if they are relevant. :]

wallstop

04-13-2010

So I really like this guide. I've been playing Janna recently, and have had some lulzy success with AD Janna, and decided to try this out.

I found an epic combo - Janna + Jax.
When Janna shields Jax, he gains current and max hp because of his passive.
When the shield wears off, HIS CURRENT HEALTH REMAINS THE SAME.
Example situation:
Jax @ 500 / 800 hp, gets shielded for 200.
He gains 144 (36 dmg x 4) curr/max, for
Jax @ 644 / 944.
Shield wears off:
Jax @ 644 / 800

It is amazing. There is no way that you can not get fb and kill the enemy lanemates, and theres no way you will die. Then for the rest of the game, just follow Jax around and spam shield and gale, slowing when needed, healing when the pressures to hot.

The only thing I disagree with is catalyst > veil, imo I'd build it to RoA.

Rawrified

04-13-2010

Rod of ages really doesn't seem that great to me after i played around with banshee's veil!

I use to go catalyst to rod of ages asap!
but i always end up in 2 situations

#1. I never farm it fast enough to get full use of it
#2. I farm it super fast and the game ends because we've been dominating the entire game already... so I don't get full use of it :[

Banshee's Veil just has so much more use to it.
and it saved me from a sure death twice in my last match x]
So im sticking with it aha =]

Joebags

04-13-2010

I very much support this guide. I'm sick of awful DPS jannas. If you want to play a ranged carry, play ashe. Janna is one of my top 3 most played, and I use a very similar "babysit" build. It gives your team ridiculously good support. The only thing I disagree with is saying that AP items are bad on Janna. More AP means her shields will block more damage, her ulti will heal for more hp per second, and with AP her zephyr becomes more than just a slow. In addition, you will be able to farm whole waves of creeps with one tornado late game with enough AP. That being said, your build is still great.

When I play Janna I generally go:
doran's ring (sell it late game)
boots of swiftness or merc treads
catalyst --> RoA
mejais
rylais
(optional) banshee
(optional) zhonias

You will easily have over 3k hp with this build once you finish rylais. This allows you to be right in the middle of the action supporting your team instead of having to sit back for fear of being killed. I've never tried nashor's on Janna, but I think I am going to now.

Rawrified

04-14-2010

I say this guide works quite well hahah though i don't follow it to the word..

i died trying to save our tank x] and i was **** proud of it too aha

i got the kills because well. it was an accident actually =]! but that's besides the point.

This guide is awesome and i can't wait to try it out when im finally level 30 =].

p.s. all my matches are against people who are just about level 30, or level 30 =X
except the rare case where i get one who isn't .. but that's like a full 5-man premade lol

i love this guide
=]

12345 ... 10