Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

What does Kite mean?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pythonhier

07-02-2011

^^^
Seriously I see it used, does it mean powers that fire in a kite like form for example Ashe's Volley or Twisted Fates Q, i think it's his q.

Thänatos

07-02-2011

idk why its called 'kite' but i guess its something like running while damaging your enemy and without letting him hit you

it can be done with slows, stuns etc

rEkcAh

07-02-2011

its call kiting because you are "pulling" the person a long but not allowing them to hurt you and pulling them into their death by overall damage by the kiting or even gank. Imagine dragging a kite along and thats what your doing, only ranged can kite like vayne or corki

Pythonhier

07-02-2011

I thought that was baiting? Where you run from enemies taking small hits on them and dragging them into traps? (Does it with Ashe).

ForeverLaxx

07-02-2011

"Kiting" is an old term that's used to describe the act of getting the maximum number of attacks against an opponent while exploiting any range disadvantage they may have to reduce the amount of attacks they land against you. Generally speaking, you can "kite" melee champions with ranged ones provided you have a spammable slow of some kind (like Ashe's Frost Arrow passive ability, or with Frozen Mallet) and said melee doesn't have a way to instantly close distance.

You can also "kite" with champions that have flash-like moves, such as Ezreal or Kassadin, but cooldowns makes this prohibitive and only really effective against other champions that can't also do similar moves.

Another generally accepted use of "kiting" is drawing a melee champion in between two very tempting/squishy ranged ones. One of the ranged champions will move "too close" to the target enemy, prompting him to begin chase. The other ranged champion will then attack the melee, usually in such a way that the first ranged gets a good bit away while putting themselves in a (fake) vulnerable position. This will usually cause the melee target to switch to the closer squishy, which is is the plan all along as it allows the initial ranged champion free ability to attack the melee as he starts to chase the other ranged. They can go back and forth like this for as long as the melee in question is dumb enough to keep trying.

Other games have other methods for kiting wherein a melee can kite another melee, but kiting in LoL is practically limited to only ranged utilizing this method of dealing with melee. There are exceptions, but it's very dependent on the champions in question and the various styles of play for those champions.

As to the origin of the word "kite", I really haven't looked into it. It's just something I've heard/used in all games that can utilize the tactic.

Crinaya

07-02-2011

Bait is when you lure them into a trap.

Kite is when you stay outside of the enemy's range by using slows/stuns/fears. A good example is when Fiddle fears and then drains life. He's doing damage and the enemy can't close in to attack.

Pythonhier

07-02-2011

Oh ok. Yeah now I see the difference.

CARDBOARDWARRIOR

07-02-2011

It's worth noting that it's really dangerous trying to kite champions with gap closers like Xin Zhao or Irelia.

doo0ooooooom

07-02-2011

the difference between baiting and kiting is that if you're baiting they could run away and not fall for it. If you're kiting, they're usually slowed, so running away isn't going to do them any good either.

BarbeqdBrwniez

07-02-2011

Quote:
doo0ooooooom:
the difference between baiting and kiting is that if you're baiting they could run away and not fall for it. If you're kiting, they're usually slowed, so running away isn't going to do them any good either.

No, baiting is sitting in mid lane with 10% HP while all four of your teammates are in the side bushes ad you bait the enemy to attack you