Level 20 - Should I buy runes?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

trq0

07-02-2011

So I recently got to level 20 and have about 4500 IP. Should I start buying runes now? I play (in order of frequency): Alistar, Taric, Karthus, Zilean. CDR seems to be the best bet for me, though I rarely see people put CDR runes on their guides. If not CDR, what do you suggest?

I've also been wanting to buy some heros, Jarvan namely, maybe Rumble despite probably getting nerfed. Is now too early to be thinking about runes, should I expand my hero base first?

Thanks!

ReLaTiviT

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2011

Since your not jungling runes won't be that important, depends on whether you want to get more champions.

MargarineDawn

07-02-2011

Half the fun is getting to 30. So I say you have nothing to lose. The only thing you'll gain is experience and better to spend some money on runes now and find something that works for you than spend money later.

For blue cooldown is great. For yellow I suggest mana/regen per level. Those are pretty invaluable.

SullenEyes

07-02-2011

In short, yes, you can start buying runes now since you have access to Tier 3.

As for what to buy, I'd recommend http://www.squidoo.com/league-of-leg...ne-pages-guide as a general idea, with specifics for your favorite champs as they are needed (i.e. - if your favorites have some good "all purpose-all champ" type runes, why not get them now and take advantage of the..erm, advantage? Flat HP Quints are always popular, even post-nerf and will benefit any type of champ.)

GL, HF!

HomeSkilletz

07-02-2011

Yes, runes are a great investment of IP and necessary for competitive play. They make every champ more powerful, especially help early game which leads to snowballing. If there's a champion you REALLY want, (you have played on free week and determined that you definitely like them) you can buy it, but you should really get at least basic runes (armor/mr yellow/blues are cheap, powerful and benefit every champion.)

grayrest

07-02-2011

I'd recommend against CDR runes, they're hella expensive. They were a bigger deal before the addition of CDR boots and Morello's but now I'd rather have MR/lvl or AP/lvl. Magic Penetration and Armor (armor is good on everybody and they're cheap) would work well on all the characters you have listed. Flat AP quints and AP/lvl blues are also nice. Health Quints are good but more expensive and if you're willing to hold off until Halloween you might be able to get them at half price.

Penetration+AP runes are VERY noticeable early game but you don't NEED runes unless you're jungling. If you like playing the characters you have listed, go for runes. If you still have the new champion bug, get more champions.

Brontobeuf

07-02-2011

Yes, buy Tier 3 runes.
Start with Magic Pen & Armor Pen reds, you will have something for all your champs in red.

2pudge1cup

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-02-2011

Armor or MP/5 yellows are both nice and benefit a lot of champions and are cheap as hell.

Flat attack reds are cheap and can benefit the early game, tho like the above poster said your probably better off with armor or magic pen.

Blues magic res is cheap and AP isn't terribly expensive either, though you'll probably want CDR like everyone else. Personally I prefer CDR/lvl as its half the price of flat CDR and breaks even at about level 13.

doo0ooooooom

07-02-2011

4500 ip is not a lot. you'll probably want to start with the cheaper multi-purpose runes.

If i were you, i'd buy flat armor seals and magic resist/level glyphs. These are only 205 apiece (MUCH cheaper than most runes), and they're very also solid runes which benefit any character.

Looking at your char list, i'd also recommend getting some magic pen marks, as you seem to play a lot of AP chars

and if you bought all of the above, you probably don't have enough IP to buy quints.