What is the future of League's Lore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bob Mosses

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2012

Now, I won't lie, I'm a nerd when it comes to a good book. Science Fiction and Fantasy are probably my favorite possible topics ever created, that said, League's Lore is most likely the entire reason I got into League as opposed to any other moba.

I joined about 10 months or so ago, and over the first month or so I read every bit of lore i could get my hands on. Character Bios, League Judgements, Journals of Justice, etc. The Bio and the Judgement gave unique insights into the different champions as to why they fought. Example, would you ever have thought that Lux, our Lady of Luminosity joined the League mainly to satisfy her own urge for a place to belong to, to satisfy a fear of being abandoned by everything else? Neither did I. I feel that every character created has their own story, their own adventure that could be told.

The world itself was also changing, growing, twisting and telling its own story, and that kept me coming back for more. I craved each new judgement, bio, and journal, and because of the depth of them I didn't need any books to read outside of the game.

Then everything changed when the fire nation... wait wrong universe... But everything still changed. Bios are still coming out sure, but judgements aren't. The journal was found to be corrupt and closed (interesting end mind you, but still unfortunately an end).

Now my question to you Riot, is simple, will the world still progress?

I mean, you left Valoran at a major turning point in its history. Swain, a man who has sworn to kill Jarvan Lightshield IV, was named the Grand General of Noxus, one of the most powerful nations in Valoran. This obviously is leaving the lore up for continuation, but when?

I know you must still care about the lore, basing an entire champion, Diana, completely off of Leona's lore to be her counterpart. But what I crave more than champion's changing and developing in their own stories, is how these champions, affect the world around them.

So Riot, the ball is in your court, are you going to give me more to read? Or will I have to find some good novels again?

Vongeo

08-10-2012

Bumped!

EpicFrogNinja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-10-2012

Their lore department is lacking right now, so they don't have the means to do something as extensive as a JoJ, so they're only doing champ bios.

webbut

08-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicFrogNinja View Post
Their lore department is lacking right now, so they don't have the means to do something as extensive as a JoJ, so they're only doing champ bios.
No they aren't they've actually expanded since JoJ. JoJ didn't stop because of lack of resources. It stopped because they no longer thought it was a sufficient way of telling the story of the game so they all went into hiding trying to brainstorm new ideas for delivering lore content.

Renekton Bot

08-10-2012

The way I see it, the Journal and the Judgments were considered a "niche" thing, because in this action game meant for people who like instant happy fun things happening, they were providing walls of text. Walls of text, to the tl;dr crowd.

They want to add lore that is going to bring more people into the story and appeal to a wider audience.

They recently put up a listing for a Sr. Creative Designer, and the description mentions things about comics and videos.

So, we can probably look forward to comics and videos as well as bios.

And if anyone asks, an official comic was totally my idea. Like, gosh, Riot.

LordHippoman

08-10-2012

Swain wasn't PASSIONATE enough for the current story.

awosominator

08-11-2012

obvious BUMP
some riot member should read this

KiteMeGood

08-11-2012

It's dead in place of MLG tourneys.

Yasako

08-11-2012

I wish I had the credentials required to be a Creative Designer. Alas, being a 16-year-old failure will never land me such a lucrative position.

Roman God

08-14-2012

I agree with Renekton Bot, walls of text is not fun for the majority of the fan base. Only the hardcore lore fans would be willing to send the time looking through all of the text.

The future is videos, short films and comics. After all this is an internet based game/company, their lore should be multimedia as well.