Can someone explain the whole story to me?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

kupokun

07-01-2011

I haven't really been following lore, and I just got interested because of this code thing.. Can someone explain to me all this black rose, etc stuff from the beginning? Pleaseeeeeeeeee?

The Lord of Hats

07-01-2011

Okay, so to understand Current Events in LoL Lore, you pretty much have to go over the history of Noxus, at least vaguely.

Noxus used to be, at one point, what I presume was a typical monarchy full of nobles and factions and secrecy and assassinations and whatnot. Eventually, General Boram Darkwill said "screw that", staged a coup, and instituted the Noxian High Command. In essence, Noxus went from being controlled by nobles to being a military meritocracy. That was a long time ago, before the time of Jarvan I. Until recently, Darkwill was alive, so it's pretty obvious that he was involved in something magical and presumably sinister to extend his lifespan.

Rewind back to monarchy Noxus: Amongst all the politics, there's a powerful, highly secretive faction known as the Black Rose, led by Leblanc, a powerful mage. Said Leblanc is not the same as our current Leblanc who blows people up early game and then gets screwed over by Banshee's Veil, it's a role passed down from person to person. Thanks to illusions, all the Leblancs are appear to be the same person, though. Once Boram, with the help of some kind of sinister force, takes control of Noxus, the Black Rose is forced into hiding, because the way politics work has changed completely. Their power is considerably reduced for a long time.

Fast forward again, to more or less current times. The noble lineages still exist, notably the Du Couteaus (General Marcus Du Couteau, Katarina Du Couteau, and Cassiopeia Du Couteau), though they work within General Boram Darkwill's system. Katarina's fought in battles and stuff, Cassiopeia's been a snake-person for a couple of months now, and Jericho Swain, who is a military figure of high rank (just below that of General) has recently joined the League. The point where the story really starts is, honestly, a bit fuzzy, though I believe it is a little bit before Leblanc joins the league, revealing the fact that the Black Rose still exists.

Leblanc (current Leblanc's actual name is Evaine, but that's not important) and Swain are revealed to have known each other for quite a while. It's pretty much implied that Swain was once a member of the Black Rose, but he doesn't appear to be now; he speaks with Leblanc as an equal, he returns what is presumably a ring signifying membership, and Leblanc says he's sold himself (he says that he's "made sacrifices"), and it's implied that it had something to do with his demon-raven-thing. She also says that he has forsaken his identity to gain Darkwill's trust. After this scene (seen in Leblanc's judgement), Swain introduces General Marcus Du Couteau to Leblanc. She thinks beforehand that Du Couteau is nothing more than Darkwill's lapdog, but Swain thinks his loyalties aren't quite as certain, seeing as he's of a noble house.

Fast forward to some time later, just before Cassiopeia joins the league. On orders issued by the Black Rose, General Du Couteau goes to a predetermined location and absolutely vanishes, leaving behind only a broken pocketwatch. Enraged and vowing revenge, Cassiopeia joins the league. She's actually rather irrelevant in all of this, though. What's important is that without General Du Couteau, General Darkwill has to appoint a new General, and he ends up elevating Swain to the position of General. As such, Swain is now a member of Noxian High Command, Noxus's ruling council.

Now, we get the situation in Kalamanda, where it's come down to Noxus and Demacia contending for exclusive mining rights. The important part of this plotline starts when a cave-in traps Demacian miners. They're eventually freed, but a dead Noxian soldier is found in the mine, surrounded by explosive charges of Noxian make. Obviously, this leads to speculation that Noxus tried to force out Demacia to get the lucrative mining rights for itself. A Demacian military tribunal is convened in Kalamanda to investigate. Swain, using his newfound authority as a General of Noxus, shows up with a prisoner (a Demacian soldier)who claims he murdered the Noxian soldier and hid him in the mine in an attempt to frame Noxus. The prisoner also claimed that he did it by order of Demacian Prince Jarvan IV. Accusations fly, and eventually the whole thing is broken up just before violence erupts, and it's arranged for the Demacian prisoner to be interrogated (presumably by a neutral group). For unknown reasons, King Jarvan III later requests the interrogation be delayed, and tensions continue to mount in the region, with soldiers from both sides moving in. Some time later, the prisoner is found dead, poisoned by a poison with a distinct taste that leads to a peaceful death. This leads to accusations by both sides that the other killed the prisoner. Tensions are high enough that General Boram Darkwill decides to attend to the matter personally, leaving his castle for the first time since the inception of the league. Soon afterwards, he's found dead, murdered alongside his entire caravan.

Reading between the lines, what PROBABLY happened is that most of the situation was entirely manufactured by Swain and Leblanc, in order to draw out General Darkwill. My speculation is that once it was down to Demacia and Noxus, Leblanc disguised herself as Prince Jarvan IV, and ordered Garvin, the Demacian soldier, to murder the Noxian soldier and cause the cave-in. Swain then proceeded to use the powers of his rank to bring in the prisoner, whose identity he already knew, and then cause enough of an escalation that Boram would be forced to leave his castle, where he could be ambushed. General Du Couteau is also in on this, as he voluntarily disappeared so that Swain could become a General. The only question at this point is how Darkwill and his forces were ambushed and killed on an open plain with little cover.

larkhill

07-01-2011

theres many threads on it already so we dont need another one. basically, noxus used to be filled with magic and deceptive people. the main people were the black rose. they basically controlled everything. then they went poof, disappeared and the current noxus regime stepped in and all that military nonsense with demacia started. now leblanc is back and the black rose is on the move. see the other threads for the rest.

did this all from memory as its 3am and im too lazy to actually verify things