Fan-made Journal of Justice - Would anyone be interested?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sbudeeG

03-18-2014

Hello, Summoners!

My name is Sbudeeg. Some of you may know me from this thread on reddit, and for those that don't, allow me to shamelessly promote it for its anniversary by saying that if you like lore theories, you should give it a read.

I've found myself with a ton of free time, and remembered that shortly after writing that, that I was invited to join in a fan-based Journal of Justice team. Unfortunately, the project never took off, and I started job hunting as my time in the military came to a close. I still have my love of the open world that Riot has presented us, and would love to find similarly minded people to work with on a revival of the project.

If there's enough interested parties, I suspect we could expect a first issue within the next month, potentially sooner! I would also be interested in speaking with any artists that may want to illustrate the pages.

"What makes this different from a fan-fic?"

Well, that is a difficult question to answer. To me, I believe a fan-fic is simply taking an interpretation of the characters and placing them in a situation outside the normality of their world. In that, this project differs greatly. In fact, I personally would prefer each issue to be based on actual events of the past and lore hints given by Riot (although, as a publication for the people, I am more than willing to deviate if that is wanted).

"Why would you want to undertake a project like this? Lore was never the focus of League of Legends."

In truth, most of it is because I love to write. If it were less of a financial risk, I would have loved to become a journalist. To me, a project like this is just as fun as playing the game itself. I can remember logging in and seeing new JoJ issues and being absolutely thrilled - Riot's lore department has always been fantastic in creating engaging stories. I know that many summoners feel the same way, and I would like to do what I can to give them that same sense of elation, even if it means pouring hours into something that will take mere minutes to read.

So I ask you all, would a project like this be something you would like to see done? Are there any among you that would want to join the team?

OuttaControl56

03-18-2014

I'd be interested.

The problem is that all of the volunteers would agree to adopt the same writing "theme". We can't have one indepth theory-crafter and one rosy love story side by side in one issue of our paper. So we need to communicate and collaborate on issues.

Still, could work.

sbudeeG

03-18-2014

You touched on precisely the pitfall I want to avoid, hence why I mentioned what separates this project from fan-fiction. I don't want to have articles about Riven and Ahri's torrid love affair in the top-side river bush, while their respective teams duke it out at dragon, placed alongside articles about serious, heavy articles like the arms race between Viktor and Piltover.

OuttaControl56

03-18-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbudeeG View Post
You touched on precisely the pitfall I want to avoid, hence why I mentioned what separates this project from fan-fiction. I don't want to have articles about Riven and Ahri's torrid love affair in the top-side river bush, while their respective teams duke it out at dragon, placed alongside articles about serious, heavy articles like the arms race between Viktor and Piltover.
Yes, and for that you need good communication and collaboration. Something like a skype group or league group to chat.

You can have a valentine edition article, you just gotta make sure it doesn't break canon and flows together.

I like the idea.

SonaGaveMeABona

03-18-2014

I would love to join this team, if one is ever made. I have a true love of the lore, and find that it adds a grander depth to champions when I play them in a game. They have a story, and I like to think about their tales when I'm laning or jungling.

Feel free to message me or let me know how I can get in touch with you, if you're looking to recruit people for help.

CupcakeTrap

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2014

I think this is an interesting idea.

Factions has used match outcomes and interactive lore events to develop its own storyline.

An Overview of the Factions Saga
A narrative retelling of the Factions saga that's developed over the past four storylines.

We're about to conclude the current arc (Part IV: Shon-Xan), which features Noxus and Ionia, and hold a poll to decide which factions will face off next. I'm going to be doing another staffing/organization overhaul, and if anyone is interested in possibly contributing some Factions lore, let me know. I'm thinking that for the next arc we're going to formally establish two categories of lore: the combination lore/gameplay updates that reflect (e.g.) tournament results and add Champions to faction rosters, and some more atmospheric general lore that explores various parts of the story.

So yeah, if anyone's interested in maybe joining us in fleshing out the Factions universe with some more lore, let me know!

In addition to the narrative story updates, it occurs to me that maybe Factions could have a sort of JoJ analogue written in an in-universe news style.

Renekton Bot

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2014

I tried to do this once but they kicked me out of the old Journal offices.

Apparently they still belong to someone so technically breaking and entering is considered "Breaking and Entering" by law.

OuttaControl56

03-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renekton Bot View Post

Apparently they still belong to someone so technically breaking and entering is considered "Breaking and Entering" by law.
Why does the man always have to keep us down, Renekton??

CupcakeTrap

03-19-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renekton Bot View Post

Renekton Bot! ♥

Your Nautilus judgment is one of the best pieces of League fan lore I've come across.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=1813174

sbudeeG

03-19-2014

Anyone that is interested in helping out, you can reach me in game (NA), or by email at sbudeeg@gmail.com