[Guide] Sheen

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ravenite

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

09-04-2009

I just wanted to clear up a misconception regarding Sheen that has really been bugging me.

First of all, the stats:
Sheen (1260 g)
Sapphire Crystal (400 g) + Amplifying Tome (435 g) + 425 g
250 Mana
25 AP
UNIQUE Passive: Every time you use an ability, your next physical attack deals 100% extra base damage.

The mana and the AP are straightforward. What makes Sheen interesting is the passive. This is where a couple misconceptions are found.

1. Sheen only doubles base damage. If I have 100 base damage just from leveling and then a fully charged Bloodthirster for +100 damage, an attack with Sheen active will do 100*2 + 100 = 300 damage NOT (100+100)*2 = 400 damage.

2. Sheen damage cannot crit. If I have 100 base damage and no damage items, a crit with Sheen active will do 100*2 +100 = 300 damage NOT (100*2)*2 = 400 damage.

So for the big whammy, if I have 100 base damage and 100 Bloodthirster damage, a crit with Sheen active will do (100+100)*2 +100 = 500 damage NOT (100+100)*2*2 = 800 damage.

Let's look at a really extreme example. Blitzcrank has the aforementioned 100 base damage and 100 Bloodthirster damage. He uses Power Fist which activates the Sheen buff. On his next attack, he crits for (100+100)*2+(100+100)+100=700 damage NOT (100+100)*2*2*2=1600 damage.

If you want to see the interaction between Sheen, +damage, and crits in action, I suggest playing a practice game with no masteries and runes as pirate. A level 16 pirate has 100 base damage, and Parrrley level 5 gives 100 bonus damage, perfect for following along with the example. Pick up a sheen and some crit % items and you can easily see how everything works by shooting minions (they don't have any armor).

I hope this helped clear up some misconceptions surrounding Sheen and helps you theorycraft some awesome builds!

Commodore Frank

Adjudicator

09-04-2009

Good post. It took me a while to figure out this one myself. I figured it out when I realized Sion's Enrage damage wasn't getting doubled. Didn't really pay any attention to it before that.

Mr Tibbers

09-04-2009

Here we go. The second there, the crit one, is very useful. Several players of Pirate have been very confused on this matter, and this pretty much clears it up. They thought that Parley's damage wasn't upped by it...and they were right. Based off of this information, a Parley would only deal normal damage on a crit, but double damage on a normal attack. So it basically makes the damage uniform? With this info, Sheen might not be worth it anymore, as you should be critting all the time anyways.

Zoobi

09-04-2009

I knew I was right tibbers! This makes sheen less useful for my Blitzcrank build as well. It's still somewhat useful(free 125 damage? Yes please!) but not as much.

OrangePulp

Adjudicator

09-04-2009

Tibbers, the sheen damage still applies on the crit; note how in the example, the crit is doing 300 damage, not 200. It's just that the bonus sheen damage doesn't get doubled, like all other damage on a critical hit.

Tarion

09-04-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tibbers View Post
Here we go. The second there, the crit one, is very useful. Several players of Pirate have been very confused on this matter, and this pretty much clears it up. They thought that Parley's damage wasn't upped by it...and they were right. Based off of this information, a Parley would only deal normal damage on a crit, but double damage on a normal attack. So it basically makes the damage uniform? With this info, Sheen might not be worth it anymore, as you should be critting all the time anyways.
The other option is to completely ignore Crits, since you can essentially create them for yourself :P Spend those runes on +atck damage.

Don't play the character, so my advice will probably be useless, but its a thought.

Mr Tibbers

09-04-2009

OrangePulp, I think I see what you mean. So, it's closer to my original suspicion that its damage is added after the crit is calculated.

Tarion...you don't even make sense to me. You say ignore crit because I can make them myself?...you do know that a crit build on Pirate reaches over 1k with Parrrley, right? Without crit chance and damage, I could never do that. :/

DT777

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-06-2009

Nice post. Didn't know that about sheen.

boon2537

09-06-2009

I love you

Vacant

09-07-2009

Thanks for this - was wondering about how this would play on out on Gangplank (prime candidate for Sheen) but was too lazy to do the practice games!