AD Janna?!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elkasaurus

04-11-2010

Throughout my time in LoL, I've seen quite a few AD Jannas.
Is she really viable as AD?
Any reasons for why someone might take AD over AP?

Osamodas

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2010

Well, I've heard people say that it's because when her spells are on CD, she's useless as AP, and that it's hard to hit people with a full charged tornado.

AD will be useful when spells are on CD, especially because the spells are not so much for damaging as for the Knock up/slow, and she's got a nice steroid skill.

Dragonk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2010

Go read my Janna Guide thread and you'll see the answer, I made a guide for AD Janna as well because of that bashing. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...ht=Janna+Guide

Coleman

04-11-2010

I always thought it was just a PUG smashing build.

DarkenDragon

04-11-2010

the fact that her tornado is hard to hit and the cooldowns are long doesnt seem a jusitified reason for making an AD janna to me, I mean cooldowns can be reduced with items and such and I believe you should get those items and the fact that its hard to hit just means she requires much more skill. i've seen players who hit with the tornado all the time cuz they have great timing skills and always casts it outside of the enemy's sight, either in the bush or just outside of the enemy's range of sight. this way the enemy doesnt realize its being charged until its too late and they get a huge hit of damage

I think Janna should always be a AP champion and never a AD, non of her skills (well besides eye of the storm but that doesnt scale at all with AD) support the AD style of play imo

Vaegrand

04-11-2010

I still think AP is much better than AD, as some one who aims for rylais as his first item when using janna, I don't use tornado for damage as much as for crowd control and elemental as my weapon of choice as it has a faster cool down any way. Besides this the AP build allows for Janna to become instrumental in team fights EOS and monsoon tear it up. The CD I can over look because most of the time I have ghost or flash which gets me out of trouble till I can cast again.

Chai

04-11-2010

DPS Janna will always outshine an AP Janna in a standard match. Whatever an AP Janna can do, a DPS Janna can also do, and at the same time do more (Supporting, Killing, More Damage.)

@Above: Rylai's on Janna is a terrible item. The slow procs on the gale during knockup, and therefore reducing its efficiency. Zephyr already has a slow, so the Rylai's slow is negligible. The same goes for Moonsoon.

CarlSagansCosmos

04-11-2010

AD is good, just as a support/tank janna works.

The reason AD works is because the majority of her powers do not scale well with AP. It makes you work on 2 fronts rather than just one (support). Besides that, the majority of her powers are used for their secondary effect more often than their primary. HG(tornado) is used for the 1 second knock up, not really the damage (it's poor, and it's ok when fully charged, but not impressive). Her Zepher is used mainly for the slow, not really the damage (again, poor damage and AP scale). Her shield is OK, but even AP build, the shield will block maybe 1-2 auto-attacks, so generally in most games you're throwing it on the carry for the extra damage (which is impressive).

Her heal leaves her vulnerable if she stays in one place too long, so it's mainly used for the knockback.

I will say that there are times you will use these things for their primary effect, such as HG and zeph damage and shield to save someone (Against a karthas, this usually saves me from having to buy a banshee's veil) or to help a friend escape or to push a tower/inhibitor/lane by healing (Things that increase with AP). But the majority of the time you're using them for their other effect.

By going AD, you become more of a threat and more useful in a team fight and soloing. No matter how much AP you have, your HG still knocks up one second, zeph still slows at a set %, shield still grants X damaage, and the knockback on heal doesn't push them any farther. I can push a lane solo with AD and still escape in case of a gank. My rotation for escaping is never use zeph, drop a HG, then run and since shield is an instant cast while running pop a shield. Never use zeph. Then while running if they somehow catch up, Monsoon. About this time HG and shield are back up. Throw down another HG and pop another shield. And never use zeph. (this is important, it's passives are SO much more valuble in escaping.)

The thing is she's support. And her support powers scale not very well with AP. So, you can go a sort of support/AP or support/tank (tank being someone who can eat a bit of damage and survive). So, I think if you go AP, you gimp yourself.

CarlSagansCosmos

04-11-2010

It may also be play style. I found while playing janna AD or Tanky worked better because as I found myself getting better and better, I found I used HG/Zeph/eye/monsoon for their secondary effects, not the primary ones. I'd get flack for throwing a shield on a squishy ryze about to die rather than Teemo. Instinctivly, when surrounded I'd pop a monsoon when surrounded. Zeph I just almost never used (I loved/love having perma-ghost) and would only use it to slow someone who's trying to run away. HG in a team fight was always instant cast, forget charge time.

So, maybe it's just a type of play style. If you're playing Janna, try and keep a mental count of how many times you're using her abilities for their primary effect vs. their secondary effect. Are you dropping the HG for it's damage (and if so, are you allowing it to charge fully) or for the knockup? (primarily, when I drop a HG, I use it for the knockup, but I still do damage). Are you shielding the squishy mage about to die (to protect him) or are you shielding the carry (For damage). Are you using zeph for it's damage or for it's slow and passive? In otherwords, are you using her powers in a way that AP is actually coming into effect.

TheMountainGoat

04-11-2010

i saw a lot of janna's during her free week, and a lot of AD janna's among them. at first i thought it was a joke, then i realized she was laying down the law with that infinity edge @__@