Competitive Tiers of Champions?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elfen1337

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2010

Ok, so here's a question I'll probably get stoned for, but I still felt like asking: What champions are commonly seen in high-elo/competitive play? Which ones aren't seen? Furthermore, what qualities/traits are desireable for such champions?

I'm currently probably on the lower end of mid elo, and still experimenting a lot with different champions. Before I finally choose to specialize, I'd rather know if they're viable, because training in a champion you like a lot but who ultimately is subpar doesn't exactly contribute towards your team winning the match. E.g., I really like Kat, but in her current state she isn't exactly the best choice for most matchups. I'm the kind of player who usually waits until everyone else has chosen their champion, and then decides to pick one to fill any missing roles.

So, how would you rate the individual champions? Which ones get seen a lot in higher-elo, and why? How do those champions contribute to their team?

Kal Al

04-11-2010

bump

Praedoran

04-11-2010

Some champs are more desirable on TT than SR, and vice versa. Trynd and Kat are both considered low tier for both maps though. Jax and Fiddle are both top notch for either map in comparison.

Since you like to "fill in the gaps", always remember the basics of any team:
Initiator/Tank/Damage/CC. I believe that once these roles are filled out, the rest rides on the synergy you can bring to the current team setup.

DonaldPotsmoker

04-11-2010

I think the player and his/her experience with a particular champ is far more important than the champ they pick. Of course it helps to have a somewhat rounded team, tank, disable, slow, etc., however I'd much rather have all my teammates be experienced with their champ than have some "uber lineup."

That being said, I'm talking about in a 5 man premade, who are also on vent, ts, or skype. Everyone is level 30 and has at least two full runes pages. So, there is some flexibility. There is always someone who has a tank as one of their mains, a support, and so forth.

In solo que (which is usually a **** shoot anyway) I usually wait untill at least 3 players have chosen and then try to coordinate with the others if we need a tank, or a healer, or whatever. I've got a tank page and a dps rune page set-up so I try to fill those roles. Occasionally I'll experiment with a new champ (in solo que) knowing that I'm probably going to lose the game if I can't carry. After a few solo games, once I feel I've got a decent strategy (~15 games) put together I may start to use that champ with premades.

This is particularly applicable in higher level elo games because a good player can figure out how to counter a given opponent. The champs themselves are less relevant and the application is more important. For instance, in a low elo game, people are more inclined to just build their build and want to buy the items they think are best for their champ. In a high elo game, the items bought are more specific to the particular game they are in. I play ad shaco frequently, and you wouldn't believe how frequently I buy items not included in any shaco strategies becuase I need them for playing against a particular opponent. It's pretty obvious which items maximize a champ's particular abilities, however the goal is to maximize the positive effect on the match, which cannot be done until a particular matchup is given. So, you can never really know what strategy to use until you see who you're fighting against and how they play. Even the way a player uses a particular hero will affect the items I build. It's all about flexibility and experience.

IS186afbf367d955

04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldPotsmoker View Post
I think the player and his/her experience with a particular champ is far more important than the champ they pick. Of course it helps to have a somewhat rounded team, tank, disable, slow, etc., however I'd much rather have all my teammates be experienced with their champ than have some "uber lineup."
I can't agree more.

TheMountainGoat

04-11-2010

afaik high tier is alistar, fiddle, jax, and sivir. i think. i dont play in high elo or competitive matches, but those names get thrown around a bit in discussions like this

Raptamei

04-11-2010

In my experience, people who are 'good' at playing some bottom tier champion invariably kill steal or pick their fights so carefully that they never achieve anything beyond funneling everyone else's money towards their level 10 to 18 jungling effort or 4 ganks on solo farmers at 30% hp during the entire game.

They end up with the highest k/d because the actual fighting team is a man short and loses every team battle, so they imagine themselves to be this amazing player of an underrated champion stuck in a team of noobs when the nexus goes up at 25 minutes.

Hyfe

04-11-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptamei View Post
In my experience, people who are 'good' at playing some bottom tier champion invariably kill steal or pick their fights so carefully that they never achieve anything beyond funneling everyone else's money towards their level 10 to 18 jungling effort or 4 ganks on solo farmers at 30% hp during the entire game.

They end up with the highest k/d because the actual fighting team is a man short and loses every team battle, so they imagine themselves to be this amazing player of an underrated champion stuck in a team of noobs when the nexus goes up at 25 minutes.
LOL /truthrage

Do a forum search. There's a couple of these threads with plenty of input for you.

Keep in mind now that with TT (3v3 map), you are going to have 2 different set of champion tiers. A hero like Mundo who is meh in 5v5 suddenly becomes uber in 3v3 because of the difference in playstyle. Then again you have some champions that are top-tier on both maps. And some champions that are low tier on both maps.

I would be interested in seeing the community collaborate on a 3v3 champion tier ranking because I haven't seen a full one of those yet.

Polaritie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-11-2010

Well, high HP, and stealth are both great on TT.

xzymethx

04-11-2010

jax , sivir, nidalee, alistar, corki, malphite, taric, fiddle
most played