How to deal with tanks with Thornmail

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garaze

09-19-2011

You don't ****ing attack them.

How hard exactly can this be?

AtrumViscus

09-19-2011

Seriously? No one said AS/Madreds?

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2011

There really are NOT a lot of good counters.

Lets assume you hit for 300 damage raw.
You will eat 35% of this back, or about 100 raw damage back.

If he has 200 armor (after pen), he eats 100 from your attack.
You have 50MR, so you eat 66 back from your own attack.

Solutions:

1) Get more MR. Ok, you get +50 MR. You now eat 50 back for every 100 he eats, down from 66. Wow...big freaking difference.

2) Get Lifesteal. To offset the 66 dmg taken, you need to get 66/100 = 66% lifesteal. That is a lot of gold on lifesteal instead of more DPS.

3) Get bloodrazor. Doesn't help much. Are you gonna go sell all your DPS gear? Nooo. So you STILL eat 66 dmg per 100 physical taken. You simply now get to add about 120 MAGIC damage to every attack (minus his MR) assuming he has 3k health. Razor also adds some physical damage too so you add a bit more physical damage given (and taken back)
This also massively affects your DPS since magic damage does not crit. If they have lots of tankiness cuz your team went all AD, this is the best solution out of a list of bad ones.

4) Get armor penetration. Kind of helps. If you can penetrate 100 of his 200 armor, he takes 150 per hit instead of 100. That means you are eating 66 per 150, instead of 66 per 100. That is a pretty big difference. BUT...thats a lot invested to pull this off and requires Last Whisper.

CONCLUSION: DONT ATTACK THE TANK. I mean, if you wipe out their 4 other teammates, taking some damage back is irrelevant. Your combined team will beat down the tank easily.

iSinX

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecrasher View Post
well this is what iv herd while playing online to counter a thorn mail the best bet is to get a warmog's armor
correct me if i am wrong, but i believe that thorn mail does magic damage? so it deals back to you, the AD carry, 30%, because thats why the tank bought this item, to specifically counter you. Attempt to get a banshees veil, because mr works better with more health, and not just a warmogs, because while that will make you kinda healthy, it does nothing to your resistances, also added on to the fact that b-veil will give you spell shield ever 30 seconds, health and mana. Another option if the other team has a lot of ap, is just build a force of nature along with one health item.

iSinX

09-19-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrumViscus View Post
Seriously? No one said AS/Madreds?
attack speed would end up killing you faster... most tanks build magic resistance, and madreds does magic damage, so if they arent building any mr go ahead and build a madreds, but the best bet if you dont want to sacrifice damage is a b-veil + lifesteal item (blood thirster, execution, wriggles, starks, (hybrid or just want that slow - hextech)

Lyrdian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-19-2011

Madreds Brrazor, Bloodthirster/stark's, Black cleaver/lastwhisper

I dont have issues with out-surviving a rammus with thornmail on yi... late game = 2PD's (replaces boots with move speed quints) 2Bthirsters, IE and tiamat(incase i catch people stacking up= ace) I also have pure arm pen reds, magic resist blues and armor yellows.