Difficulty Picking Up Mordekaiser

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yngve Zephyrous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2010

So yes, I was taken with the Mega Metal Man for quite some time, and finally decided to purchase him.

However, I have pretty much hit a roadblock when it comes to playing him. He doesn't seem to be tanky enough to survive much DPS, and he's not DPS enough to take down opponents quickly. Also, his shield thing and gauge I'm still not quite sure if it's actually a shield, or merely an AoE of damage plus a buff.

Advice? Tips?

Almagest

04-10-2010

Plenty of guides around; just do a search. Mordekaiser shines in being really tough, and outlasting his opponents. Try building him like a tank -- Health and armor/magic resist (depending on who you're facing) and see how that goes.

Otherwise, you could always try a bit of health and some attack speed, along with Frozen Mallet. Rylai's Crystal Scepter is another good item because all of his abilities proc it.

Using Ignite along with his ultimate can net you some easy kills.

sainthero

04-10-2010

Keep his shield all the time and health + regen makes him a brick in this game.

Yngve Zephyrous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-10-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthero View Post
Keep his shield all the time and health + regen makes him a brick in this game.
The shield has a bit of a cooldown though, and it eats away at health, too. What can I do to make sure the shield lasts?

Arazu

04-10-2010

if theres some bad guys near, just keep it up when its off cooldown, the extra armour/mr really helps

health regen is a must on morde so you can spam your abilities (spirit visage is a good cheap one to get)

Purutzil

04-10-2010

Health regen is important. Nature's is a very good item to boost that so his abilities won't harm his HP and he can heal while shield is up. Mord is a resist tank since his shield is effected by it. Build up pure resistance on him so his shield takes up more damage. Focus on lowering his CDR so he can spam his abilities more often to help fuel his shield.

Honestly DPS mord I find lack luster. As a tank he lacks CC but his abilities do enough damage as it is to make him a threat. If you get a ghost you effectively increase his damage output greatly and really allow him to wreck on a team/towers.

Dark Mechanicus

04-10-2010

i think you're confused. The creeping death skill ie. the swirling shards of metal, is not a shield. It simply does damage to everyone near morde. His shield comes from his passive. Every time you deal damage with one of his abilities, you gain some percent on your shield (it's the grey bar under your health). The shield does tick away though, which is why it is so important to spam his skills (mostly siphon) to keep the shield up.

Hogun

04-10-2010

Mordekaiser is also much better on Twisted Treeline than he is on Summoner's Rift. It's harder for 3 people to burst down your shield. I've also noticed that people don't grab as many +resist items on TT, so Mord still puts out decent damage (I do grab the magic penetration mastery and have magic penetration runes, so that may be a factor). On top of that, he farms and jungles pretty well, so you can get an item and buff advantage over the other team.

So if you're having trouble on SR, try playing him on TT. I usually start with a Doran's Shield, then build a Warden's Mail and Spirit Visage; which one comes first depends on the other team. Boots, as always, are situational. A Frozen Mallet or Rylai's is pretty useful for chasing. Against physical teams, Thornmail or Sunfire Capes are fun. Against magic teams, Force of Nature or Banshee's Veil.

JarL

Recruiter

04-10-2010

/facepalm

Mord is a caster tank, stack MPEN, health regen, and HP. Items like Spirit Visgage, Sorc Boots, Haunting Guise, Frozen Mallet, Rylais, Guardian Angel, Atmas, Warmogs, etc... pick any combination of those items with a set of MPEN runes and you'll find yourself much better off. Spec 9/0/21 for full CDR (9%), use CDR per level blues (8% at level 18), Spirit Visage for another 12%, and you'll no longer complain about his damage.

Ideally you get a 1v2 lane as well.

xSJx

04-10-2010

Start with rejuv bead and 6x hp potions. Build spirit visage - sorc shoes - sunfire cape - sunfire cape. Skills are e w e w w r w e w. Max q last. Take magic pen and magic resist runes. You tank and farm and push like crazy. With so many potions it makes for a much more forgiving early game.

The bar below your hp is the shield, it acts like extra hit points. The metal storm you cast is AoE damage and also gives magic resist and armor. You can charge your shield really fast with metal storm, just walk into a creep wave.

I thought the build was weird but you do such huge aoe damage. Try it out. Hope that helps .

Edit: Yeah, run 9/0/21 for cooldowns and magic pen, obviously ignore the mana and mana regen stuff. Frozen mallet or rylais are both awesome to get after the sunfire capes. Lizard buff is good but your carry should probably take it.