Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Malphite - Punching instead of tanking?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Redenbacher

06-29-2011

No matter how you slice it, Malphite spends a significant amount of time auto-attacking since his spells aren't exactly spammable. It really doesn't hurt to build some AD/Crit on him to make those attacks hurt a little more without really hurting anything else he can do.

At the least, an Atma's Impaler isn't wasted at all, he scales with armor already, the AD and Crit just help his W. 40% boosted total AD is really nothing to scoff at. With just a Youmuu's/Atma's, you're running around with 30% crit and 200 AD, pop W and you've now got 280 AD. Not bad considering you've just ulted and ground slammed, knocking the carry down to half HP.

At most you'd sacrifice a Randuin's Omen for a Frozen Mallet or Sunfire Cape.

biomorph

06-29-2011

I've also had my thought on Malphite, I have not played him much but enough to notice that after you initiate with ulti, slam the ground and snare some poor ******* you are safe to ignore when building pure tank as your threat level is virtually zero. So either get some attack damage item like Tri-Force which will at least make you a threat over time or some AP to completely destroy the squishies with your ulti.

malphismia

06-29-2011

Quote:
biomorph:
I've also had my thought on Malphite, I have not played him much but enough to notice that after you initiate with ulti, slam the ground and snare some poor ******* you are safe to ignore when building pure tank as your threat level is virtually zero. So either get some attack damage item like Tri-Force which will at least make you a threat over time or some AP to completely destroy the squishies with your ulti.

This is exactly what I was thinking.

Some games I play him as shard harass when I lane, some games I play him as jungle AD-bruiser, some games I play him as full tank when my teammates start feeding.
Once you've played him long enough, you just build him according to ear and which carry (AD or AP) is getting fed, because he scales off so many different stats (health, armor, attack damage,magic pen)

What I can say is this: Wriggles Lantern nerf to magic damage hurt Malphite the most. When it was physical damage, it used to work with his cleave, so that 500 damage would cleave to the whole minion wave, making him 2-shot a whole wave. I still build wriggles a lot because of counterjungling, split pushing, free ward etc.

SiriusBeatz

06-29-2011

I like Trinity Force and Atma's Impaler with appropriate tank items when I play Malphite. Atma's in particular is a good item because it gives him both autoattack damage and armor, both of which play into his DPS capabilities. Trinity Force is just an all-around good item, giving him a bit of tankiness, the movespeed and slow on his attacks to help him be an even better chaser, and, of course, Sheen proc is helpful, since Malphite is kind of a combo-oriented fighter. Frozen Mallet and Atma's is another good combo for damage that gives much more survivability and better synergy with Atma's Impaler.

Don't build more than 2 DPS items on Malphite if you intend to actually survive your W-R-E combo into the enemy team. Sounds like common sense, but I've seen people do full DPS Malphite and blow up almost as fast as Ashe.

AP isn't really that strong on Malphite because the cooldowns on his AP-scaling abilities are too long, and the scaling on Q isn't even really that good. It's generally not a good idea, in my opinion.

Ebonclaw

06-29-2011

The way that I used to always play Malphite -

Rush a Zeal
Build up a Warmog ASAP
Top with Atma's
Salt to taste.

SiriusBeatz

06-29-2011

Quote:
Ebonclaw:
The way that I used to always play Malphite -

Rush a Zeal
Build up a Warmog ASAP
Top with Atma's
Salt to taste.

You were playing against some serious baddies in that screenshot. Dat 26 cs Annie.

Jazz Bat

06-29-2011

I went against a DPS/AD Malphite, I know, it sounds weird, I even bugged him about it. In the end he ended up carrying the opposing team to victory. He was using stuff like Phantom dancers and Inf Edge

AFrosty

06-29-2011

i faced a malphite who went all dmg and with his w i think active he was getting 650 dmg while active since it give u armor n damage he was getting penta kills every 5v5 fight since he has splash dmg all u need is timat and gg

HotsauceShoTYME

06-29-2011

-Malphite has one of the best damage per level gains in the game and horrible hp per level. This makes sheen/triforce pretty **** good on him.

-AP malphite is not that good but getting magic pen on him is. It allows you to blow squishies up since your combo will do full damage and you can finish with auto attacks boosted by w and e has a short cd.

-If you recall malphite was nerfed sometime ago becuase europe was abusing him cause he could pressure so well early with magic pen and mana regen spamming q.

malphismia

06-29-2011

Don't confuse AP Malphite with Magic Pen Malphite.

You can have Magic Pen, and not have to build AP to deal damage. His Q,E, and R deals magic damage. That means you can build Magic Pen, he has decent base damage on his skills, and you can build Armor/CDR to increase damage on his E spell

Items like Frozen Heart, Randuins omen, and Abyssal Sceptre, are all tank/aura items but scale with Malphite well.