Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Ezrael, the Glass Nuke

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Weyen

04-09-2010

Quote:
Feel a Fear:
If you are referring to maxing W first... it really is the best ability to go for.

Was referring to the "First max W, then once you've done that, max W" thing, actually

As to the rest of it, yeah, I think I was maybe missing the point. My bad. I was seeing this as more of a "stand in the back and heal" kind of build, since even as AP Ezreal, most of my non-ult damage comes from Q, which looks a bit gimped in this build. I've never really tried a W heavy offensive build before, I'll have to give it a shot.

Feel a Fear

04-09-2010

@Blaggo

That is the main controversy of this guide, the lucky picks. Keep in mind, the 3 picks still get you 75 ap, and for a cheaper price then most of the items you listed. Your spell damage will remain the same, you just miss out on the hp/penetration or other effects. The most useful one for damage, lich bane, costs 1,000 or so more than the 3 picks so you can't really compare that. There is certainly a disadvantage in going with lucky picks, but it is small, and the benefits are huge.

Feel free to check out my summoner profile to see how I'm doing. I lose some and win some, but it should give you guys an idea of what the build is capable of even in losing games.

If you find buying 3 picks delays your item build too much, try going with 2 instead.

Feel a Fear

04-09-2010

Quote:
Weyen:
Was referring to the "First max W, then once you've done that, max W" thing, actually

As to the rest of it, yeah, I think I was maybe missing the point. My bad. I was seeing this as more of a "stand in the back and heal" kind of build, since even as AP Ezreal, most of my non-ult damage comes from Q, which looks a bit gimped in this build. I've never really tried a W heavy offensive build before, I'll have to give it a shot.

Ah ha, typo, fixed it.

W is amazing. One of the beautiful things about ap ezrael is the fact that he can heal a teammate for 800 and damage the enemies attacking him for 600. I am definitely not a passive player, and I play ezrael because of his explosive play style and huge burst (I used to be a pirate player before he was nerfed). When I talked about staying at max heal range of your teammate nearest the enemies, that's just positioning. Basically if your teammate backs up and is chased you shoot W and goes through him and hits the chasing enemies. If the enemies mess up you can blink forward and fired a W through him toward the enemies. You have massive damage but are fragile so you need keep as far away as you can and still be in range for attacking. Be like a cobra, once the enemy is distracted or realizes you wont give them an opening they will be forced to deal with your team, that's when you can get in close and do massive damage.

I tend to use my ultimate early in the group fight, Ideally I will walking close to the enemy group ulti/w and then E to safety, then you circle around and pick off people as the team fight goes on.

Voidgolem

04-10-2010

AP without Lichbane?

Heresy! *blam*

Sailor Moon

04-10-2010

Quote:
Zeforus:
If you've read around Magic Pen works in this order

Hard Magic Penetration

Say i had 40 Magic Pen
15% from Archaic Knowledge

Say my enemy has 100 Magic Resistance

Reduced to 60 Magic Resistance then reduced by 15%

To 51...

are you sure? I'm not sure if this just isnt updated- but this thread
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3287
says that
"
Q: What order is armor penetration/MR penetration applied in? (Credit to TiberiusAudley)

A: From top to bottom

Armor/MR Reduction
% Based Armor/MR Penetration
Flat/Linear Armor/MR Penetration
"
which means that using your numbers
opponent with 100 MR
you have void staff(40%), 15% talent, and 40 pen
(MAGICRESIST - MR_REDUCTION)*(100%-PERCENT_PEN)-MR_PENETRATION
thus you have
100 - 0 = 100 (you have no reduction (abyssal))
100*.45 = 45 (40% from void, 15% talent, 55% total. 100-55 = 45)
45-40 = 5 (you have 40 magic pen)
opponent has 5 magic resist

I'm not sure if it was ever changed- but I've always thought that this was how it worked.

Edit : i've been playing AD ezreal... going to try AP now... I've been wanting to for a while and now's as good a time as any : D
Edit 2 : 4/3/16 and 6/2/16. I love your build : )

Keero

04-10-2010

The quints you use are horrible sir.
Runes
Red Magic Pen - you got something right!
Yellow/blue Mp5 - Decent but still blows
Quints Gold Per 10 - Who does this honestly waste of quint's and IP

Just god awful!

Morinav

04-10-2010

Getting MP5 runes is an excellent choice for Ezreal. He doesn't need the regen of a chalice, but he does need something to keep his mana up.

What else would you get? More magic pen? It'll be like making water wetter with the amount you're getting from items already.

CDR blues are also a good choice, imo.

Feel a Fear

04-10-2010

Quote:
Voidgolem:
AP without Lichbane?

Heresy! *blam*

When I first started playing ezrael I would get lich bane first, after playing a lot I realized that it was more important to get pure damage (ap/pen) because it increases your aoe damage alot more.

Lichbane IS an amazing item for ezrael, it's just that I can't justify grabbing it until after I have zhonya's (when games actually last that long). Basically if you get it first instead of zhonya's to are losing 100+ ap on your W/E/R, but you gain more steady dps from spamming long range Q shots (which will actually do decent damage now). You gain more single target damage, but lose out on a lot of aoe damage/healing.

@keero The runes are perfectly optimized for this variation of ap ezrael, if you think you have something that works better feel free to post it, and I will discuss it. Generally though if you don't use blue AND yellow for mp5 you will run out of mana all the time. You will be forced to buy a mana regen item (essentially a waste of money) or you will have to hold back from using your abilities all the time. Either way gimps your damage output. The 3 gold quints net you 18 gold per minute, 180 gold per 10 minutes, 360 in 20 minutes, etc. When compared to how much gold value other quints have you will see that this quickly outstrips them, especially since it allows you to buy your lucky picks faster, which means they start generating earlier. Health quints (a popular quint choice for anyone) gives you around 100 hp. 180 hp costs 475 gold, therefore 3 hp quints are worth 263.9 gold. The gold quints would have generated that much gold in around 14 minutes (less if you include the gold from the talent greed, and the extra gold you earned from buying your picks earlier. If both of those are included its more like 9-10 minutes).

Does that put you at a disadvantage? It certainly does. But the disadvantage is minor, and 9 minutes into the game becomes and advantage (at least in the given scenario). Due to the lack of level 1 group fighting (that we saw before dragon and neutrals were nerfed) the small disadvantage is even less relevant.

It's a very small risk, for a pretty decent reward.

@sailer moon: Glad it's working out for you! Hopefully people aren't giving you too much flack for the picks, you can always refer them to this guide if they want to see the in depth explanations for it.

Lathun

04-10-2010

For my runes I use
Red: Magic pen
Yellow: MP5 per level
Blue: CD reduction

The first item I get is tear, then boots, then archangel's staff, which gives me a nice boost to AP and MP5.

I find the CD reduction runes to help a lot with spamming mystic shot to get my ultimate back up in the shortest amount of time.

Avarion

04-12-2010

Hi, new Ezreal player here. Definitely prefer AP over AD as it makes me more useful in 5v5s.

A few questions I have:

1. Red: Magic pen is good; but AP gives Essence Flux better healing. Which do you think is more important?

2. I rarely use Arcane Shift offensively (too risky in team fights) and don't level it pass 1 until late-game. Am I doing it wrong?

3. I prefer having a Chalice and Sheen early own. Any comments?

4. Lastly, OP, a Guilty Gear player by any chance?