Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

AP Ezrael, the Glass Nuke

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Feel a Fear

04-09-2010

Introduction: Greetings, some of you my know me, many probably don't. I have solo q'd and played with names such as dandinh, elementz, and locust. I say this because my build is unorthodox, and you should know this isn't coming from some free-week ez player. I do not consider myself a top-tier player more of a "runner-up" tier player. This guide assumes you have a basic understanding of ezrael's moves as well as gameplay in general. If you are here, it means you understand that AP ezrael is superior to AD, or that you want to learn why that is true. Ezrael has 3 AP moves and one AD move, and all three of the ap moves are extremely powerful. You can easily get 1,500 aoe burst, after magic resist. Not only that, but you get a soraka ult on a 9 second cooldown. This build focuses purely on getting high AP and magic pen as fast as possible. Keep in mind that Ezrael is hard to play, but if you master him it is very rewarding. Without further chit chat let's get into it.

Summoner Abilities
Ghost Let's you escape/chase (I used to use flash, but honestly after it's continuous nerfs, ghost is just better overall)
Clairvoyance Not only is this a must have for any serious team, it is especially useful on Ezrael. It gives you the most important thing in a MOBA, map awareness.You can check baron, dragon, neutral buffs, and incoming ganks. While you won't ulti steal dragon AND kill the jax attacking it every game, even good players make mistakes. Clairvoyance is also the most defensive thing you have at your disposal, that coupled with ghost/arcane shift makes you nearly impossible to gank.

Masteries
9/0/21 Standard cast spec here, except the extra point from not using flash I put in greed.

Runes
Red Magic Pen
Yellow/blue Mp5
Quints Gold Per 10

Skill Build
Q/E/W/W/W/R/....(max W then E then Q skilling up R when possible)
Explanation: W you max first because its ezrael's best regular ability, and probably the most overpowered non ultimate ability in the game (seriously it's that good). E is maxed next, because you need to be able to escape/chase/deal damage.Q you get first to last hit with, and that is the only purpose it serves unless the game lasts long enough to get lichbanez or rylai's.

Items (Listed in priority order, sell picks to make room when purchasing Zhonya's and beyond)
Amplifying Tome+Health Pot (initial)
Boots of Speed
3 Lucky Picks (at most 12 minutes in)
Mejai's Soulstealer
Void Staff (20 mins.)
Sorcerer's Shoes
Zhonya's Ring (game usually ends here, 35+mins.)
Lich Bane OR Rylai's Scepter
Rylai's Scepter OR Lich Bane

LOL LUCKY PICKS!? Yup, lucky picks. Ezrael is unique in that he does not need any defensive items to do his job(explained in "Range is the Game" section below). So let's get the most bang for our buck... Void staff costs about 2,300 and gives about the same ap as 3 picks for about the same cost. Of course the 40% penetration makes void staff more powerful for damage output, but only slightly so early game when people don't have much resist anyways. The only other item that comes close for the cost is mejai's soulstealer, but you would have to get kills which are by no means guaranteed.

Crunch Some Numbers: In any case the point is, the difference between spending your money on something else is only slightly better offensive damage. But the 3 picks give you 15 gold per 10 seconds. This coupled with the greed mastery and quints gives you 19 gold per 10 seconds. That's 114 gold per minute EXTRA, on top of your natural gold/sec and any creep kills. 1,140 gold in 10 minutes, which is also the amount of time it takes for your 3 picks of luck to have payed for themselves (if you sell them->2355/2=1177.5). Basically, at 20 minutes into the game, you go from having a very small disadvantage, to having a huge advantage. The huge gold flow allows you to get items (which=AP) much faster than otherwise. Make no mistake, there is a deserved negative stigma for gold items among advanced players, and they WILL ridicule you. Hell, I have even had teammates blame me for a loss because I bought them, people just don't realize how good they truly are on ezrael.

What about Lich Bane/Rylai's
?: They are very good items, for sure, especially with ezrael's Q. They are effective, and useful, they just aren't as useful as other items early on. Your money is better spent on pure AP and magic pen, because that increases your massive aoe damage/heal way more, which is what wins you team fights. The cost of lich bane and zhonya's are similiar, yet zhonya's gives much much more ap (and of course the OH **** button). In rylai's you are paying for hp+slows, which again isn't as good as pure damage, however in some situations I do buy giants belt early depending on the match up. Like if they have a bunch of very fast/tank characters and your team has no tank or little cc. 9 time out of 10 you are better off with pure AP, because it makes you more useful in team fights.

Tactics:

Early Game
: You should not get any hero kills before level 6 unless your enemies are stupid and **** up. This is the one time AD ezrael is >AP at hero killing, but by the time you hit level 6 AP is superior. Focus on farming with Q getting as many last hits as possible, if you have 50 creep kills 10 minutes in you are in good shape. Sit back at the max range of your Q, only coming forward when it is on cooldown and you need to last hit. With only one health pot for regen your opponents will try to **** you up, luckily ezrael can farm from safety, and is pretty good at last hitting while tower hugging. If you find yourself taking a lot of damage, or being kept a way from the creeps, port back and get boots and as many picks as you can. Otherwise stay in the lane until you have enough for all 3 picks and boots.

Range is the Game
: Once you have mejai's soul stealer, it's time to focus on helping your team gank with clairvoyance, and supporting them in group fights. Whatever happens, it's important to keep yourself safe. Only be aggressive when you are sure you will not die. Otherwise keep your teammate closest to the enemy at the max range of your W. Your W will be healing for 300-400 at this point, and is a force to be reckoned with. It's better to be safe and constantly healing your team (courtesy of all that mp5), then to be overly aggressive and die. Obviously if the enemy is bunched up and you can do massive damage, go for it, and of course healing and damaging at the same time is even better. The fact that ezrael has massive range on all his spells, allows him to stay out of harms way much more effectively than other casters. This is what enables him to become a true glass cannon, and be successful. Every other caster MUST invest in some form of defense or they will simply feed (this is why Ezrael can afford to invest in lucky picks). This also makes soulstealer exceptionally good for ezrael when coupled with the massive assists he gets from aoe spells. Keep an eye on your cooldowns, while you have superior range the long cooldown on E will get you killed eventually.

Zhonya's=GG: At this point you will hopefully have around 400 ap, and if your soulstealer is getting fed you could have 531.25. Also you have a lot(40%+20+8.5+15%) magic pen, I'm really not sure how the math works out on that, but the bottom line is that unless someone has 200 magic resist you are going to hit them like a freight train. Say about 700 base for your W and E and around 1,000 for you ultimate. That's 1,700 base aoe and another 700 to one additional target (before magic resist). That means you just nearly killed or brought to half health everyone on the opposing team except for their tank. It's Devestating, not to mention the ensuing fight will have you shooting off your GG Q nukes every 9 seconds . Also now you have enough burst that if someone is at half health you can probably kill them with E+W, so feel free to play more aggressively, especially if you think you can kill their carry or healer. If you can't win at this point, you are out of luck.

Late(r) Game
: Hit 3 or more people on the other team with your ult and then Q during a group fight. Really, it's that easy.

*Remember*AP Ezrael cannot kill buildings effectively. So make sure you keep someone that can alive. If the last enemy is about to kill you or tristana, make sure tristana lives to go win you the game.

Tips
-Hit with your ult. Seriously, be smart, wait for the right moment. Hit as many people as possible. Yea if Jax is soloing dragon go ahead and kill him, but sometimes even that is not a good idea. Be aware of creeps for hail mary ults, they will reduce damage it will do. Remember it is not an ashe arrow, if the enemy doesn't get killed by it he will just walk away and heal.
-If you wif your ult and the team fight did not engage tell your team to back off. Unless they are pushing a tower/inhib, there is no reason to start a team fight without your ult.
-Healing two allies can be better than damaging one enemy (with your W)
-All your skillshots go a bit farther than the range cursor actually shows.

Zeforus

04-09-2010

If you've read around Magic Pen works in this order

Hard Magic Penetration

Say i had 40 Magic Pen
15% from Archaic Knowledge

Say my enemy has 100 Magic Resistance

Reduced to 60 Magic Resistance then reduced by 15%

To 51...

I think if you buy void staff its additive

so same values

Reduced to 60 Magic Resistance Then Reduced by 65%
so then you would have 33MR.

My question is why don't you consider getting Haunting guise for the 20 Magic Penetration.?

Assuming you have the best magic pen you only get 29 Magic Pen thats below the 30 MR every champion gets, considering most players will buy Chalice or Mercury Treads you will not reduce that number a lot with a void staff compared to having a Haunting Guise.

Also I don't know how mana intensive Ezrael is but are you sure 29.6 MP5 is good enough?

I find the playstyle through your words to be pretty passive until Mid Game, is there anything else he can do rather than farm for the first 15 minutes? and what happens if you're against a team that has a synergy combo that rapes towers.

Feel a Fear

04-09-2010

Solid Criticism Zeforus ,

I have actually tried haunting guise in a few games lately, since they added spell vamp to it (my ap ezrael has trouble with regening hp, and his ulti is lol with it). I buy it instead of my third pick and skip void staff. However the case against haunting guise is that the window where it would be more or equally good penetration wise to void staff is small, and void staff gives you 70 ap (of course it is more expensive too). They are both pretty good but I believe void staff is more effective. Also I could not go 3 picks and guise, because I would run out of inventory room, this hurts your gold income a little.

The MP5 lets you spam Q as much as you want early, with a couple W's thrown in. I take it instead of cooldown reduction, because it allows me to not waste a slot on a mana regen item. By the time you are level 8+ it's enough to get you through without going back to the fountain.

The play style is passive until you hit level 6, then you can you try to kill people if you want. I just suggest finishing off your third pick as soon as you can. When I don't solo mid, I am fairly aggressive in attacking creeps if my opponents are pushing hard. Auto attack enough so the the creeps don't get pushed to your tower and allow their heros to damage it a lot (of course still last hit). Also the mp5 regen allows you to W heal your teamate a bit and still Q farm. Of course if your teammate does have a really weak lane champion, they may get some damage on your tower. In any case all AP ezrael's in general will not be strong as far as lane pressure goes, and while in this guide you only have an hp pot, ezrael's range allows you to stay safe, and the mana regen runes allow you to spam.

Toxic Nerve

04-09-2010

i support the fact that you tried to make a guide for the glass nuke, however, your item build is disgusting.

go mejais-> boots of mobility/merc treads -> lich bane-> zhonyas -> void staff -> rylais scepter

Gu de Lusignan

04-09-2010

hey, instead of writing ****tie guides about casters who shouldnt be casters, you should write a post on why mordekaiser should be killed off.

thanks again, -Devvn

cool post btw

Feel a Fear

04-09-2010

Quote:
Dreaded 47:
i support the fact that you tried to make a guide for the glass nuke, however, your item build is disgusting.

go mejais-> boots of mobility/merc treads -> lich bane-> zhonyas -> void staff -> rylais scepter

Mejai's first means you have no ap at the beginning. Only boots worth getting are penetration.

With your build 35 mins into a close game you will have 100 + (whatever stack you accumulated) ap whereas I will have 400, and more penetration.

Weyen

04-09-2010

Quote:
Feel a Fear:

Skill Build(snip)
Explanation: W you max first because its ezrael's best regular ability, and probably the most overpowered non ultimate ability in the game (seriously it's that good). W is maxed next, because you need to be able to escape/chase/deal damage.

Might want to fix that.

Otherwise, there are only two things that made me twitch.

1 - Three kage's picks... I can kind of see it on someone like Trynd who needs gold badly but can't farm, but Ezreal doesn't really have those problems. There's nothing stopping you from grabbing a Sheen and farming like a madman with Q. 100 extra gold/minute sounds nice until you realize that that's only something like five or six minion kills. I agree that AP Ezreal is very nice endgame, but you can make his early game sooooo much nicer with a Sheen that it seems like a real waste not to grab one early and maybe Lich Bane it later if you have gold lying around.

2 - You're maxing W first with no mana, and no mana regen except for runes. I don't get how you can lean on his most mana heavy spell as your main attack without running back to fountain every minute or two to recharge. Especially early on in the laning phase, when you'll at most be hitting one ally and maybe one enemy with it.

Gu de Lusignan

04-09-2010

"1 - Three kage's picks... I can kind of see it on someone like Trynd"

Note to self: weyen is a free kill

Feel a Fear

04-09-2010

Quote:
Weyen:
Might want to fix that.

Otherwise, there are only two things that made me twitch.

1 - Three kage's picks... I can kind of see it on someone like Trynd who needs gold badly but can't farm, but Ezreal doesn't really have those problems. There's nothing stopping you from grabbing a Sheen and farming like a madman with Q. 100 extra gold/minute sounds nice until you realize that that's only something like five or six minion kills. I agree that AP Ezreal is very nice endgame, but you can make his early game sooooo much nicer with a Sheen that it seems like a real waste not to grab one early and maybe Lich Bane it later if you have gold lying around.

2 - You're maxing W first with no mana, and no mana regen except for runes. I don't get how you can lean on his most mana heavy spell as your main attack without running back to fountain every minute or two to recharge. Especially early on in the laning phase, when you'll at most be hitting one ally and maybe one enemy with it.

If you are referring to maxing W first... it really is the best ability to go for. Massive aoe damage/heal/atackspeed is much better than slightly more damage on Q or being able to blink more often.

#1 I don't need sheen to last hit at the beginning (and it's a waste of money for an ap build until you need it for lich bane), I don't think you understood the concept I was trying to get across. You don't get 3 picks so you don't have to farm, you get 3 picks so that you have a ton of money on top of your normal farm. 6 creep kills a minute is 120 creep kills in 20 minutes + whatever your normal farm is. I'm not sacrificing last hitting, I'm getting bonus money, while still being able to fulfill my role in early team fights.

#2 yellow/blue mp5 + utility spec is more than enough to support ezraels W, of course I use the mp5 per level ones. Of course early in laning I'm not spamming it, I'm spamming Q. W is just to maintain enough presence in the lane to keep up your farm. By the time you are level 6+ and team fights start happening you have enough endurance to stick it out, I usually only go to the fountain for HP. When I first started playing ezrael I used dodge for yellow and only blue had mp5, this was not enough regen. But with yellow and blue I think you'd be suprised how much it is when put together with utility spec.

Blaggo

04-09-2010

I am kind of a new Ezreal player, but I have some experience in playing caster/nuke champions. I really like your guide, it's complete and full of good information and good tips. One think I disagree with is the picks. I'm not really a fan of getting lucky picks on any champion. I'd prefer to get other more valuable items as fast as possible(Rylai's, Lich bane, ect) The picks will increase your gold flow, but will handicap you for a while because you've spent all your money on picks, rather than more expensive items.. But overall, this is a really good guide.