How can I counter Malzahar?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flodoard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2011

I don't really know him too well, but he has a lot of very damaging but very safe spells.
He can be kind of difficult to harras, and when that golden opportunity presents itself, his ult crushes me.
I know of the quicksilver sash and all. I just want to know, what are his weakest points?

(p.s. this is a forum for malz players and those who want to know about him. QQ'ers and trolls can ruin someone's day while in game)

killamaim

06-27-2011

morgana shield nuff said

Giltia Zero

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-27-2011

Malzahar has no escapes, and killing people requires him to ult someone on top of his Null Zone with a channelled ultimate.

Teamplay counters Malzahar fairly well. If he ults one of you, the other stuns him. 1v1, Malzahar is at his best since he can almost surekill anyone stuck on top of Nullzone by his ultimate. Very few 1v1 champions can completely counter him, such as a late game Tryndamere who can ult through a sure kill.

Otherwise, Malzahar is pretty squishy early. A strong instagib champ like Annie can waste him, and Veigar barely has to do anything except press R. Gangplank is an excellent Malzahar counter in terms of 1v1 since he can just walk right through Malz' ultimate with the power of Citrus. Kassadin is a fairly strong counterpick. While he doesn't have nearly the ratios of Malz, Annie, or Veigar, what he DOES have is an oppressingly long silence, powerful nuke, and escape before Malz can retaliate. I do believe Olafs ultimate grants him immunity to Nether Grasp as well.

And of course, anyone can build a QSS.

Nutarama

06-27-2011

QSS is the hard counter to Suppression, and any stun/silence/knock-up will break his ult's channel. That's the thing about ALL suppression ultimates - they're channeled.

Save your silence/stun/knockup for WW, Katarina, Malzahar, or Nunu when they ult since it kills their output. Cho'gath is hell on those champs, because of his low-CD silence and knockup. Gangplank does have the power of Citrus. Olaf's Ragnarok gives him immunity to suppression. Irelia's Ionian Fervor along with Merc Treads basically halves the duration. Veigar and Kassadin are strong counters to casters, due to Veigar's R instagib and Kass has a huge silence, more movement than anybody else, etc. A good LeBlanc can pull off a Q-combo to get a huge silence before Malz can pull his Null Zone/Nther Grasp combo.

Play smarter, not harder when going against him. Try to force him to waste his ult. Know its CD so you can tell when it's up if you're laning against him. If he's an idiot and doesn't break your BV shield first he deserves to die a horrible, horrible death. With QSS on a 90 sec CD, you should have it up most of the time when his ult is up. Break the disable then walk out of the sphere and attack him. They're generally too confused at that moment to cancel their ult (since you're still taking damage and leashed but you can attack him while he's channeling).

Zealot644

06-27-2011

Call for a gank ^^

Hard CC works great on him.

TehDot

06-27-2011

I've found that, very early game, ranged carries give me lots of problems as malz. The downside is they have to spend more time harassing me then actually farming, but it's still very annoying. Almost always force me back at least once before I get my ult unless I play super conservative.

Sir Tiddles

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutarama View Post
QSS is the hard counter to Suppression, and any stun/silence/knock-up will break his ult's channel. That's the thing about ALL suppression ultimates - they're channeled.

Save your silence/stun/knockup for WW, Katarina, Malzahar, or Nunu when they ult since it kills their output. Cho'gath is hell on those champs, because of his low-CD silence and knockup. Gangplank does have the power of Citrus. Olaf's Ragnarok gives him immunity to suppression. Irelia's Ionian Fervor along with Merc Treads basically halves the duration. Veigar and Kassadin are strong counters to casters, due to Veigar's R instagib and Kass has a huge silence, more movement than anybody else, etc. A good LeBlanc can pull off a Q-combo to get a huge silence before Malz can pull his Null Zone/Nther Grasp combo.

Play smarter, not harder when going against him. Try to force him to waste his ult. Know its CD so you can tell when it's up if you're laning against him. If he's an idiot and doesn't break your BV shield first he deserves to die a horrible, horrible death. With QSS on a 90 sec CD, you should have it up most of the time when his ult is up. Break the disable then walk out of the sphere and attack him. They're generally too confused at that moment to cancel their ult (since you're still taking damage and leashed but you can attack him while he's channeling).
This.

Also, before level 6 his will usually be only using the malefic visions that bounces from minion to minion. Make sure to stay out of range from Malz so he doesn't cast it directly on you, and always make sure there is a friendly minion closer to the minion with the visions on it than you are. He won't be casting his other spells for the most part because they are kind of mana heavy and without the suppression to keep you in place you won't take much damage from them.

After level six, a quick silver sash is the best way to deal with him. I don't always get one every game that a Malz player is on the enemy team, but if I notice the Malz player is gunning for me it is a must-have. It will remove ALL debuffs, including the suppression and the visions. After that, walk out of the pool and eat his face because he has no escape mechanism.

FU8oNIrp0fIPMBRT

06-27-2011

Thumbs up! Very few people manage to create a Thread asking for a counter against a specific hero.
Most players just scream about OP heroes.

Useful things i have to write:
To counter his ultimate, you need a mate to cc him in anyway, stun, silence, knock up or so.
A second way i reckoned on the finals: If you have an AOE dot around you (Karthus defile, Fiddles ulti,..) you try to keep him in your dmg range. If he turns his ulti on then, he will take dmg for the whole time you get dmg as well. You may want to rewatch the grand final, i think it was peke who did this strategy to seperate the offtanks from the carries.

Regarding lane domination: Malzahar has no healing powers, so simply harass him as well as you can. Be aware of his Damage over Time(DoT), it jumps from target to another target when the current target dies. So if you see your last minion has his DoT on itself, keep a distance until the DoT is gone.

If he tries to harass with his portals, try to predict where he will cast them. You'll find you can evade them in most cases. A bright Malzahar will try to cast his portals in a way that he damages you and your creeps at the same time. If he does, you can provoke him to do that and move out (the best direction would be forward, for most players will think you will go backward in "safe").

Regarding the "pool": well, simply walk off it. In most cases, he only will cast it when his ultimate follows, so you have time to react.

Pineh

06-27-2011

QSS
/thread

thepope289

06-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutarama View Post
Irelia's Ionian Fervor along with Merc Treads basically halves the duration.
Doesn't work like that.

Also, Malz is relatively susceptible to being harassed pre 6 and even at specific times post 6. His base damage on Q, W, and E are very very low when they aren't leveled up very much, and for that reason, you have run of the lane until he is 6. Obviously this phase doesn't last forever, so you will need to be wary of him once he reaches the magic number.

AT LEVEL 6:

Take note if he has taken flash (pray that he didn't, but all Malzahar players should have it) If he does, be wary of the range he can flash to combo you! As a malz main, I have encountered many enemies who just assumed that I wouldn't try to use flash offensively to destroy them, and it was their downfall. If you do get caught though, don't be afraid to push up into his face after returning to lane. Before he has massive AP, he can't burst you down in any way with just Q and E, and with his flash and ulti on cooldown, he is one of the easiest characters to kill in the game if he has overextended.

TL;DR - Be wary of combo. If combo'd, just come back and get revenge on him. Biggest tip: JUST DON'T 1V1 HIM TO BEGIN WITH (unless 'you got dis')